Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: OT: Need opinions (on used car)

  1. #1
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    3,639

    OT: Need opinions (on used car)

    Whats up guys, I haven't purchased it yet.

    Back story:
    The car I am looking at is a 99 G20, Automatic (unfortunately, but beggars can't be choosers). The guy selling it just bought a new Infiniti and is getting rid of this one. He has driven it back and forth from North Jersey to Long Island every weekday for the last 1.5 years (about 900 miles a week.) The car has 155,000 miles on it (almost 100,000 in the last 2 years). He has gotten oil changes done religiously and has taken it to the same mechanic that I use for the last 5 years. My mechanic has done brakes, an alternator, new belts, and a tune-up about 6 months ago and he highly recommends the car.

    Questions:
    Do you think it is worth $4000 with this many miles on it?? (I'm lucky to be getting it from a private party because a dealer around here (NJ) would sell this used for $6000)



    The car shifts smoothly into every gear (its Automatic), but when put in reverse I hear and feel a slight vibration or rumble sound. I asked my mechanic about it and he said he may just have to adjust some belts?!? Does this sound right, or should I be worried?

    I know that this is a football message board, but I respect everyone's opinion here and my friends are sick of me asking them about it

    Only picture of the car I have (taken with phone).


  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Enemy Territory
    Posts
    6,518
    Dear car seller:

    How are you this very beautiful day. I am interested in purchasing your vehicles is maybe it still for selling? I shall pay you the price that you are ask for you car. I amd so happy in being alive are you? Fine. Thank you. Please konw that I am located in Canada. I will sned you the check fo rthe amount you would like. My wish is to have you cash the check that I am send to you . to then you should keep the amount that I am to paying for your car. please then send the balance of the check tom y mover that he can use it to transport the car to me here at my home.

    thank you i am very interesting in buy in your car please be to get back to me as soon as possible. thank you.

    Ima F. Enlyer

  3. #3
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    3,639
    bump.

  4. #4
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,538
    I run an auto wrecking yard

    miles mean dick.... i get cars with 30,000 miles on it and the motor is shot or the tranny is **** and then i have cars that have 250,000 miles and run fine. The only thing to watch for with high mileage cars is the abuse put on it. If they were hard miles id be careful ( hard miles, like city driving daily , lots of starting and shutting off etc) Lets some one check the car out if the shocks and struts are original and seem fine thats a good clue to if it was all highway miles or not. Transmissions are always a gamble. The car you are lookin at is not "known" to have tranny problems so you should be alright


    P.S. if you do buy the car DO NOT change the transmission fluid, you can add new , but def dont drain flush and change. certain to blow the tranny if you do that

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    Forget what the car costs.

    900 brutal miles a week in some of the tougest road conditions and stop-and-go traffic found anywhere in the world...

    ...and...

    ...155,000 total miles to boot?

    Run, run away. If he pays you $4000 to take it off his hands, say "no". The engine rebuild and transmission problems coming during your ownership will set you back $5000, so you're really saying you have $9000 to invest in the purchase for the next 3 years, right?

    Well, $9000 over 3 years is $250 a month my friend, which can get you into a brand new lease on a Toyota, Kia, or Hyundai. You're only a few dollars away from the Honda Civic Coupe.

    Think through the next 3 years, factor in the repair bills, and you'll see that you really should be looking at leasing a new car.



    SAR I
    Last edited by SAR I; 03-02-2008 at 11:46 PM.

  6. #6
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,564
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post
    Forget what the car costs.

    900 brutal miles a week in some of the tougest road conditions and stop-and-go traffic found anywhere in the world...

    ...and...

    ...155,000 total miles to boot?

    Run, run away. If he pays you $4000 to take it off his hands, say "no". The engine rebuild and transmission problems coming during your ownership will set you back $5000, so you're really saying you have $9000 to invest in the purchase for the next 3 years, right?

    Well, $9000 over 3 years is $250 a month my friend, which can get you into a brand new lease on a Toyota, Kia, or Hyundai. You're only a few dollars away from the Honda Civic Coupe.

    Think through the next 3 years, factor in the repair bills, and you'll see that you really should be looking at leasing a new car.



    SAR I
    Sar..isn't the civic YOUR favorite car?

  7. #7
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    3,639
    Quote Originally Posted by AnthonySerp View Post
    I run an auto wrecking yard

    miles mean dick.... i get cars with 30,000 miles on it and the motor is shot or the tranny is **** and then i have cars that have 250,000 miles and run fine. The only thing to watch for with high mileage cars is the abuse put on it. If they were hard miles id be careful ( hard miles, like city driving daily , lots of starting and shutting off etc) Lets some one check the car out if the shocks and struts are original and seem fine thats a good clue to if it was all highway miles or not. Transmissions are always a gamble. The car you are lookin at is not "known" to have tranny problems so you should be alright


    P.S. if you do buy the car DO NOT change the transmission fluid, you can add new , but def dont drain flush and change. certain to blow the tranny if you do that

    Thanks for the info... I really like the car and think I'm going to go for it. Its relatively cheap and if I get 2 years out of it I will be happy.

    I just blew the trans in my last car (97 Acura CL 3.0) 2 weeks ago...after flushing and changing the trans fluid 4 months ago (I'll never make that mistake again)

  8. #8
    Charter JI Member
    Join Date
    May 1999
    Location
    Westchester Co.
    Posts
    38,276
    look around first

    155k s a ton of miles especially for 4 grand. SAR said it as well driving from jersey to LI ever day does not constitute gentle miles. You could go lease a brand new car for two years and spend 4 grand.

  9. #9
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    (┌・。・)┌ lolgfy
    Posts
    33,211
    I'd have to agree with SAR & jetswin on this one...stop & go traffic with that amout of miles per week sounds pretty brutal....

    I don't mean to talk you out of it by any means, just trying to help...

  10. #10
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    3,639
    Now I'm torn. I don't want a lease or new car because then my insurance will be a lot higher. I know 150,000 miles is a lot but i think the car will last. I am having my mechanic look it over today to tell me if he can foresee anything going wrong.

    The guy accepted my offer of $3700, so I think I'm gonna get it

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    5,564
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks81 View Post
    Now I'm torn. I don't want a lease or new car because then my insurance will be a lot higher. I know 150,000 miles is a lot but i think the car will last. I am having my mechanic look it over today to tell me if he can foresee anything going wrong.

    The guy accepted my offer of $3700, so I think I'm gonna get it
    Get AAA

  12. #12
    All League
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Stockholm
    Posts
    3,639
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagoots View Post
    Get AAA
    haha, thanks douche.

    I would love to get a new car or lease, but financially I'm just not in a place to do that. If anyone would like to make a donation I would gladly accept

  13. #13
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Shaolin
    Posts
    6,538
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks81 View Post
    Thanks for the info... I really like the car and think I'm going to go for it. Its relatively cheap and if I get 2 years out of it I will be happy.

    I just blew the trans in my last car (97 Acura CL 3.0) 2 weeks ago...after flushing and changing the trans fluid 4 months ago (I'll never make that mistake again)
    FYI i just bought an 01 Sierra this morning to go back and forth to work....the thing has 231 000 miles on it. But seems to be real strong. got a good deal...dont let miles scare u

  14. #14
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    mostly behind a camera.
    Posts
    784
    Quote Originally Posted by Banks81 View Post
    Now I'm torn. I don't want a lease or new car because then my insurance will be a lot higher. I know 150,000 miles is a lot but i think the car will last. I am having my mechanic look it over today to tell me if he can foresee anything going wrong.

    The guy accepted my offer of $3700, so I think I'm gonna get it
    I know you cant buy a new car you said, but why not spend $3700 on a car that has less miles? Look around for another used car.

    If your budget is $3700 get the best car you can for that price.

  15. #15
    Banned
    Join Date
    Sep 2014
    Posts
    36,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagoots View Post
    Sar..isn't the civic YOUR favorite car?
    Truth is, if I were single, making 5 figures, and didn't care about status I'd be in a Civic Coupe. Looks great, will be completely reliable, full of safety features, fun to drive, etc.

    SAR I

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us