Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jenkins contract not so bad!

All League

Jenkins contract not so bad!

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...ts-contra.html

Read below...the Jets FO comes through again!

March 3, 2008
    Details of Jenkins' Jets contract
    The Daily News has obtained a breakdown of Kris Jenkins’ new contract with the Jets. Let’s just say it’s dramatically different than the five-year, $35 million deal (including $20 million guaranteed) that is being reported, courtesy of his agent.
    The highlights of the ACTUAL contract:
    • It’s five years, $30.25 million.
    • He’s due to make $18 million over the first three years, the best gauge of actual value.
    • Only $9.5 million is guaranteed, which is his total 2008 compensation ($4.5 million signing bonus, $750,000 base salary, $3.5 million roster bonus and $750,000 in workout/weight bonuses).
    • His 2008 cap number is $5.9 million.
    • In each year, there is a $500,000 workout bonus and a $250,000 weight clause. He will be weighed 10 times per season and he receives $25,000 if he makes his prescribed weight.
    Clearly, the Jets are concerned about Jenkins’ weight and conditioning, issues that dogged him in recent years with the Panthers. He was listed in the Panthers’ 2007 media guide at 349 pounds, but as reported today by the Daily News, he weighed more than 390 pounds at the end of the season.
    Analysis: This isn’t a bad deal for the Jets. Conceivably, they could cut Jenkins after one year and take a $3.6 million cap hit in 2009 while realizing a $2.8 million savings. Obviously, they’re not likely to cut him after one year, considering they gave up third- and fifth-round picks for him.
    This contract makes a whole lot more sense than the crazy numbers that have been flying around.

All Pro
    wow that's even better! thx

Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/jet...ts-contra.html

Read below...the Jets FO comes through again!
    More positive news.................Love it!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Great contract by the Jets. They protected themselves in case Jenkins lets himself get out of shape.

All Pro
    Sweet deal. I was happy with it before. But now I'm really likin it!

All League
    Beautiful. This trade/signing is looking better by the minute.

Hall Of Fame
    unbelievable.

one thing i dont get: whats wrong with a 400 LB NT?

I'd say: "Kris, have some more wings..."

All League
    Wish they had weight clause with d'brick

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    unbelievable.

one thing i dont get: whats wrong with a 400 LB NT?

I'd say: "Kris, have some more wings..."
    Zackly. Everyone wants a big beefy guy up front. His job is not to RUN, but to take up space, absorb multiple blockers, clog the middle, and hurt someone when he falls on them. He ain't running anywhere 'cept to the front of the food line.

All League
    A great trade just got better. Another pimping of the cap by Mr. T.

Hall Of Fame
    Will the haters stfu now?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by tedtedthefootballhead View Post
    Zackly. Everyone wants a big beefy guy up front. His job is not to RUN, but to take up space, absorb multiple blockers, clog the middle, and hurt someone when he falls on them. He ain't running anywhere 'cept to the front of the food line.
    I think the idea is if he gets too big he'll get tired faster, and thus need to be taken out more, or otherwise pushed around because he's too gassed.

Well, that is if he gets bigger due to lack of proper conditioning.

Banned
    I look foward to Jenkins working hard to stay in shape to gain the extra money in the contract, a healthy Jenkins='s a Healthy Defense and David Harris should be one excited MLB as of right now. I luv ya Vilma, but Vilma who?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JV51 View Post
    Will the haters stfu now?
    Hopefully

Banned
    It will be interesting to see if he can run the 2-gap nosetackle position..just because he is big and fat, doesn't make it a lock..

Hasn't he been a Warren Sapp type d-tackle in the 4-3 his whole career?

Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post
    Wish they had weight clause with d'brick
    Interestingly D'BRICK was on SNY the other night and when asked about his weight he replied that he and the coaching staff really dont want him that heavy. With the speed rushers that are in the NFL presently it is better for him to be more agile than heavy. Seemed to make sense..........

Banned
    Good job by the Jets FO if what you posted is true.

I hope this guy is a good nose tackle.

As a fan and an observer of professional football - I view nose tackle in a 3-4 scheme as the hardest position to play.

It's a lot of grunt work, with almost no public recognition. It's a matter of taking an absolute physical beating play after play after play while allowing those sexy, fast 250lb linebackers to fly around and get the glory making tackles.

To me nose tackle is more of a mentality than a set of physical skills. I think Jenkins (if healthy) has the skills. I don't know much about his mentality. But I'm extremely hopeful as a Jets fan.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by fullblast View Post
    I think the idea is if he gets too big he'll get tired faster, and thus need to be taken out more, or otherwise pushed around because he's too gassed.

Well, that is if he gets bigger due to lack of proper conditioning.
    Just more proof that I know nothing.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by dfresh View Post
    It will be interesting to see if he can run the 2-gap nosetackle position..just because he is big and fat, doesn't make it a lock..

Hasn't he been a Warren Sapp type d-tackle in the 4-3 his whole career?
    no he's strong too. Vince Willfork is extremely strong (definitely the more powerful player than Jenkins), but what Vince does for NE can be expected from Jenkins, no doubt. This is a major upgrade.

Hall Of Fame
    That is huge. 9.5M signing bonus means that we can cut him before year 4, when his cap number will average ~7.9M/season (1.9M in signing bonus hit + ~6M salary if the News' total numbers are right) for a cap hit of less than 4M.

Hopefully we won't need to do that - but its nice to know we have the option if we need it.