Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I haven't been this pleased as a Jets fan in a long time

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

I haven't been this pleased as a Jets fan in a long time

This is all foreign to me. The Jets have never been big players in free agency in the past. The Jets have only signed 3 prominent free agents and it feels like they just signed 20. The truth is that every year, There are teams that sign two or three prominent free agents. The Jets have never been that type of team.

I don't have a single problem with the stance of the front office or ownership. They stated before free agency that they could sign as many as 7 targets or maybe none. That was a direct quote from GM, Mike Tannenbaum. Mike Tannenbaum admitted that he failed the franchise last offseason. That by sitting back, The team took a major step back. The failure of 2007 is the result of what we are seeing today.

The front office and coaching staff identified the players that no longer fit and they have been addressing the areas that the team desperately needs to. There is still alot of work left to be done but at this point, I am very pleased. The front office and coaching staff has a plan and they are executing it.

It's not my money, so it's easy for me to just say "sign every good player you can get"... The credit here goes to the owner. Thank you Woody Johnson for making a huge commitment towards getting the front office what they need to succeed. Thank you for trying everything you can to make this franchise better.

I realize that championships are not won on paper. That just because you spend alot of money. It doesn't mean that it will translate to success. The Jets haven't won anything. All they have done is add some important pieces. There are no guarantees that any of the moves will pan out but I greatly appreciate the effort and commitment towards winning.

Jets fans will not see offseasons like this again. You can't spend like this every offseason. These moves have to work. It's that simple. The players signed or traded for, have to become key figures in the turnaround.

The Jets as a franchise, In my opinion, could not go into this offseason and sit back in their chairs and wait for the market to come to them. They had to go to the market with their guns blazing. The team has massive holes and flaws. You can't address them all but you gotta try to.

Bottom line, The Jets are a better team right now than they were 5 days ago. I am a happy Jets fan right now. The cynics can't rain on my parade. The Jets FO fixed their offensive line and brought in two key cogs for their 3-4 defense. There's alot more work to do but so far, so good.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Agree on all points......and the draft is still coming up!

Trade up for Chris Long and we have a top-5 defense. I can dream right?

All League
    What's amazing is the FO is executing the moves we ALL saw as necessary (LG, NT, RT, OLB, cut out Clarke and McCraphands, Vilma and DRob are NOT fits). This "common sense" approach is a refreshing, amazing concept in itself.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CV 40 View Post
    What's amazing is the FO is executing the moves we ALL saw as necessary (LG, NT, RT, OLB, cut out Clarke and McCraphands, Vilma and DRob are NOT fits). This "common sense" approach is a refreshing, amazing concept in itself.

I agree.

The Jets did overpay for Pace. The market pushed it that way but in the past, The Jets backed off signing a player that they should have when the stakes got high. Not this time around.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Good post YJF.

Here in B-More I've only met one other Jet fan who's a trainer at my gym, I'd been looking for him all weekend in there and finally ran in to him today. He was the same as you are, as well as myself. Complete and utter disbelief, just not used to making major splashes like this in an offseason.

Quote Originally Posted by CV 40 View Post
    Don't believe for a second that they don't have people reading these boards. Some of the analysis you see on these boards is excellent.

Banned
    I agree. We needed upgrades every where and we need system player is necessary areas. We upgraded our most vulnerable areas with probowlers.

We addressed the POC on both sides of the ball. We have picked up some picks and we have gotten ride of some of the wrong fit guys.

This is a so different from the Jets I know...and I like it.

I hope it all works out. Like I have been saying all offseason...we need to take any upgrade we can get. That is the overall question you have to ask yourself...is this player an upgarade compared to what we have now...if that answer is YES...then you do what you have to do to sign that player/s.

Luckily for us, we scored some top notch players.

Its refreshing. Cant wait to see what happens next.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    Good post YJF.

Here in B-More I've only met one other Jet fan who's a trainer at my gym, I'd been looking for him all weekend in there and finally ran in to him today. He was the same as you are, as well as myself. Complete and utter disbelief, just not used to making major splashes like this in an offseason.
    I am still in a state of shock.

The Jets never do this. In the past, The Jets usually settle for like the 5th or 6th guy on their list.

This is the first time that I can remember, The Jets targeting premiere players and actually getting them.

great post

Quote Originally Posted by YJF View Post

The Jets never do this. In the past, The Jets usually settle for like the 5th or 6th guy on their list.

This is the first time that I can remember, The Jets targeting premiere players and actually getting them.
    Now if the jets can finish off a perfect off-season by signing a tall WR (Bryant Johnson or even Roy Williams)...then draft DMC and Bam we are an instant contender....

All League
    nobody can rain on your parade for you are 100% correct. No if and or buts about it, this team is MUCH better than it was 5 days ago and a team with 4 wins must do exactly what we just did. I am pumped for the draft and I 100% believe that we are turning the corner and will be contending in the near future.

Waterboy
    This is all foreign to me. The Jets have never been big players in free agency in the past. The Jets have only signed 3 prominent free agents and it feels like they just signed 20. The truth is that every year, There are teams that sign two or three prominent free agents. The Jets have never been that type of team.

I don't have a single problem with the stance of the front office or ownership. They stated before free agency that they could sign as many as 7 targets or maybe none. That was a direct quote from GM, Mike Tannenbaum. Mike Tannenbaum admitted that he failed the franchise last offseason. That by sitting back, The team took a major step back. The failure of 2007 is the result of what we are seeing today.

The front office and coaching staff identified the players that no longer fit and they have been addressing the areas that the team desperately needs to. There is still alot of work left to be done but at this point, I am very pleased. The front office and coaching staff has a plan and they are executing it.

It's not my money, so it's easy for me to just say "sign every good player you can get"... The credit here goes to the owner. Thank you Woody Johnson for making a huge commitment towards getting the front office what they need to succeed. Thank you for trying everything you can to make this franchise better.

I realize that championships are not won on paper. That just because you spend alot of money. It doesn't mean that it will translate to success. The Jets haven't won anything. All they have done is add some important pieces. There are no guarantees that any of the moves will pan out but I greatly appreciate the effort and commitment towards winning.

Jets fans will not see offseasons like this again. You can't spend like this every offseason. These moves have to work. It's that simple. The players signed or traded for, have to become key figures in the turnaround.

The Jets as a franchise, In my opinion, could not go into this offseason and sit back in their chairs and wait for the market to come to them. They had to go to the market with their guns blazing. The team has massive holes and flaws. You can't address them all but you gotta try to.

Bottom line, The Jets are a better team right now than they were 5 days ago. I am a happy Jets fan right now. The cynics can't rain on my parade. The Jets FO fixed their offensive line and brought in two key cogs for their 3-4 defense. There's alot more work to do but so far, so good.
    When do you guys get your rings for being free agency champions?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NYJets4life View Post
    Don't believe for a second that they don't have people reading these boards. Some of the analysis you see on these boards is excellent.
    I got a kick out of hearing Mike Tannenbaum state last week that the front office dropped the ball last offseason.

I am a huge Tannnenbaum and Mangini guy but I killed them last offseason. Got killed by fellow Jets fans after game one in 2007 for blasting the front office.

I realize that the Jets FO didn't read my posts and agree with them. I have nothing to do with what's going on right now with the team but it's funny nonetheless.

The fans here at JI know the team up and down. You have 365 day a year guys here like Green Jets and Ham. I am not one of those guys. I take my sabbaticals from here from time to time. Jets fans here are awesome.

The Jets are a huge part of the lives of everyone who posts on JI. That's why, I thank Woody for making these jumbo financial commitments. He's doing it for himself and his team but in turn, He's doing it for us.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by NEM View Post
    When do you guys get your rings for being free agency champions?
    I am not interested in being a "free agency champion"... I want to have a better team. One step at a time. The Jets have had one of the weakest talent rosters in all of football, the last 3 years. I am happy to see the team trying to get better. They need to.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication

Kotite's second year we did similiar, and wound up 1-15 off of 3-13

Neil O'Donnel was our big sign, coming off of the SB

Keyshawn was the number 1 draft pick

Jeff Graham at WR

Jumbo Elliot at Tackle

David W. Williams at Tackle

Harry Galbreath at G

David Alexander at C

All League
    I honestly believe that having the Giants and Patriots play in the Superbowl, regardless of the Giants winning, forced the Jets' hand. For those two weeks, all the attention in the world was focused on their divisional rival as well as their crosstown rival. When the other NY team won, it made it even worse.

The Jets had to make moves.

This regime has their jobs on the line this season, and it needs to pay off. We could not go another year as the redheaded stepchild of New York. We also had the money and found the players that would make this system work. I really do think it will pay off. And one FA might be all we need to have good ones in the future. If we are such a nice draw for players and win with them, it will make us only more appeasing as a franchise.

The best part is we still have the draft coming up! Unbelievable.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post

Jeff Graham at WR

Jumbo Elliot at Tackle

Harry Galbreath at G

David Alexander at C

thanks, i just $hit my pants!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Listen,On this board if the Jets signed Tom Brady it would be a negative

All League
    The fans here at JI know the team up and down. You have 365 day a year guys here like Green Jets and Ham. I am not one of those guys. I take my sabbaticals from here from time to time. Jets fans here are awesome.

The Jets are a huge part of the lives of everyone who posts on JI. That's why, I thank Woody for making these jumbo financial commitments. He's doing it for himself and his team but in turn, He's doing it for us.
    AMEN!!!!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by CTM View Post

Jeff Graham at WR

Jumbo Elliot at Tackle

Harry Galbreath at G

David Alexander at C
    Good point. Not as strong of a comparison.

Jumbo and Keyshawn were very good players.

Jeff Graham was a JAG. O"Donnell was a bust. He wasn't a premiere player and I crapped on that move when it was made. Galbreath was a roster filler. Williams was just another guy. That wasn't a big move.

None of these players are on Faneca or Jenkins level.

All Pro

beautiful!