Jets shop Robertson

I didn't see this posted yet.

http://www.denverpost.com/ci_8431832?source=rss

broncos briefing
    Walker to visit new teams, Jets shop Robertson
    By Bill Williamson
    The Denver Post
    Article Last Updated: 03/03/2008 08:55:22 AM MST

New England's Randy Moss and Javon Walker, who was released by Denver on Friday, are the top two receivers on the market. Walker is expected to start making visits in the next couple of days. . . . Indications in New York are that the Jets may be preparing to increase efforts to trade Dewayne Robertson, the best remaining veteran defensive tackle available through a trade. He would have to restructure his contract significantly to increase Denver's interest in him.

All Pro
    I definitely see Denver as the best suitor for D-Rob at this point. Hopefully we could get the same offer or better than we got from Cincy.

Veteran
    I agree. Detroit might be in the mix as well. It could help drive up the price.

Banned
    We really need to get this done. I was liking that Cincy deal, but I'll be fine with anything reasonable at this point, even a 3rd as long as somebody will take him off our hands. Talk about a final purge from the Herm era (although I'm sure some would save that for the final overthrowing of Chad).

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS_for_life View Post
    We really need to get this done. I was liking that Cincy deal, but I'll be fine with anything reasonable at this point, even a 3rd as long as somebody will take him off our hands. Talk about a final purge from the Herm era (although I'm sure some would save that for the final overthrowing of Chad).
    As long as we get his contract off the books I'll be happy.

Schluberator & Gadfly
    I've been reading so much about this stuff, I dreamed Denver signed a DT. Geez.

Hall Of Fame
    If he was not willing to restructure his contract "significantly" for the Bengals, why would he do so for the Bronchos or the Lions?

Why would teams pony up a 4th and a 5th for the rights to talk to his agent today when all they have to do is wait a while to be able to talk to his agent without owing the Jets a thing?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS_for_life View Post
    Yep. I'm still waiting for that day to come. It couldn't be too soon.

Hall Of Fame
    Doesn't it also stand to reason that the some team might be willing to pay more for DROB in terms of a contract if they did not also have to give up draft picks to get him?

Hall Of Fame
    He should be gone by the end of the week.

Charter JI Member
    I heard on the radio this morning yesterday's deal fell through because he was not willing to restructure.

Banned
    I've been saying it all along, trade him to Denver for CB Dominique Foxworth and a 4th RD Pick

Foxworth is expendable, he's a Nickel in Denver with Bailey and Bly as the starters, so this should be doable
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 03-04-2008 at 09:57 AM.

Banned
    That fat pig has robbed this team enough, underplaying to his ridiculous salary.

Quote Originally Posted by EM31 View Post
    If he was not willing to restructure his contract "significantly" for the Bengals, why would he do so for the Bronchos or the Lions?

Why would teams pony up a 4th and a 5th for the rights to talk to his agent today when all they have to do is wait a while to be able to talk to his agent without owing the Jets a thing?
    If the Jets cut DRob he is free to sign with any team in the NFL. That drives up his price.

Some teams would probably rather take the sure thing for the cost of some low round picks. Make 100% sure DRob is theirs.

Hall Of Fame

I agree...unless the Bengals could not afford to pay him anything respectable..I dont know why he would restructure with Denver. Plus everyone knows now that the Jets will release him before his bonus kicks in so why give up anything.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    If the Jets cut DRob he is free to sign with any team in the NFL. That drives up his price.

Some teams would probably rather take the sure thing for the cost of some low round picks. Make 100% sure DRob is theirs.
    If it drives up his price then all he has to do is sit tight and not restructure. Why would DROB do anything other than that? Any buyer for DROB is going to want relief from his current bloated salary the question is, how much relief and can they get it?

Or to ask the question another way, why would DROB agree to take a cut just so the Jets can get some picks for him when sitting tight potentially increases his payday?

Schluberator & Gadfly
    Call me whacky, but I could see him getting cut, and no one signing him!

If it drives up his price then all he has to do is sit tight and not restructure. Why would DROB do anything other than that? Any buyer for DROB is going to want relief from his current bloated salary the question is, how much relief and can they get it?

Or to ask the question another way, why would DROB agree to take a cut just so the Jets can get some picks for him when sitting tight potentially increases his payday?
    He shouldn't. There's no incentive for him to agree to a deal.

That's why the Jets will end up cutting him before his June bonus is due.

In spite of what you hear,the Jets are not going to cut Robertson. He will wish that they had, but they are not going to just dump him.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    I've been saying it all along, trade him to Denver for CB Dominique Foxworth and a 4th RD Pick

Foxworth is expendable, he's a Nickel in Denver with Bailey and Bly as the starters, so this should be doable