Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To complete rework Coles/Chad need to go

All League

To complete rework Coles/Chad need to go

I am guardedly optimistic about the moves the Jets have made. I have never been a big fan of high-ticket free agent signings, feeling that they present too much risk for the money you have to put out, and too many teams have really hurt themselves long term with bad free agent signings.

That said, I like the moves the Jets have made. Outside of WR and CB, they seem to have addressed each of the glaring problems in the team and they have done in the right way in my view by starting at the trenches and moving out. With our moves we can do anything we want to in the draft. We have incredible flexibility, and for the most part have maintained our draft. If we eventually get a pick or too for DeWayne we could really make a splash in the draft like we have in free agency.

In the bigger picture, this year more than any other I feel that Mangini and Tannenbaum are really putting their stamp and their identity on this team with their players. We now have a very solid core of those players on this team.

But for that to work, the chemistry needs to work as well. Coles and Pennington are NOT part of that identity that Mangini wants. And they are attached at the hip. Coles is one hit away from ending his career, and Chad is not the QB he was. But they are the old regime.

For this to truly be Mangini's team there needs to be a complete overhaul in the leadership of this team. If Pennington and Coles remain that is not going to happen. There will never be the unity of purpose there needs to be in the locker room.

Vilma leaving did two things. One it removed a player that did not fit our system, but it also solidified Harris and Rhodes as the new leaders of our defense.

We need the same to happen on offense. Although he is (unjustly IMO) beloved here by many Chad is not the future of the Jets. If he is still here, Chad by his own words will have his priority to becoming the starting QB again. And that will divide this team. The swithc has been made at QB away from Chad. If Chad is still here, there will always be division in the locker room and Mangini cannot have that. There needs to be clear leadership in the locker room on offense.

Coles is Chad's man. There is no way around that. And he will never be fully behind any QB other than Chad. Plus, he had concussion problems last year and it will be surprising to see him last the season.

To make this truly Mangini's team, the leadership on both sides of the ball have to change, and that will only happen if Chad and Coles are no longer here. The leadership on offense needs to come from the QB (Clemens or someone else) Mangold and Faneca.

In my view this is critical to the success of this team going forward.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    I am guardedly optimistic about the moves the Jets have made. I have never been a big fan of high-ticket free agent signings, feeling that they present too much risk for the money you have to put out, and too many teams have really hurt themselves long term with bad free agent signings.

That said, I like the moves the Jets have made. Outside of WR and CB, they seem to have addressed each of the glaring problems in the team and they have done in the right way in my view by starting at the trenches and moving out. With our moves we can do anything we want to in the draft. We have incredible flexibility, and for the most part have maintained our draft. If we eventually get a pick or too for DeWayne we could really make a splash in the draft like we have in free agency.

In the bigger picture, this year more than any other I feel that Mangini and Tannenbaum are really putting their stamp and their identity on this team with their players. We now have a very solid core of those players on this team.

But for that to work, the chemistry needs to work as well. Coles and Pennington are NOT part of that identity that Mangini wants. And they are attached at the hip. Coles is one hit away from ending his career, and Chad is not the QB he was. But they are the old regime.

For this to truly be Mangini's team there needs to be a complete overhaul in the leadership of this team. If Pennington and Coles remain that is not going to happen. There will never be the unity of purpose there needs to be in the locker room.

Vilma leaving did two things. One it removed a player that did not fit our system, but it also solidified Harris and Rhodes as the new leaders of our defense.

We need the same to happen on offense. Although he is (unjustly IMO) beloved here by many Chad is not the future of the Jets. If he is still here, Chad by his own words will have his priority to becoming the starting QB again. And that will divide this team. The swithc has been made at QB away from Chad. If Chad is still here, there will always be division in the locker room and Mangini cannot have that. There needs to be clear leadership in the locker room on offense.

Coles is Chad's man. There is no way around that. And he will never be fully behind any QB other than Chad. Plus, he had concussion problems last year and it will be surprising to see him last the season.

To make this truly Mangini's team, the leadership on both sides of the ball have to change, and that will only happen if Chad and Coles are no longer here. The leadership on offense needs to come from the QB (Clemens or someone else) Mangold and Faneca.

+1

Rookie
    Coles is oozing out of his pores a mangini type player. he griped last year, and the little griping he did this year is totally blown out of proportion, sure a nother WR wuold be great, trading coles? no vote here.

Hall Of Fame
    Ok trade Chad and go into the season with only Clemens at QB???? Have you seen the available QB's in the FA market?? Im not big on Chad, but that would be insane..

Our WR core is already weak losing coles would make it the worst in the league.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

Great thread... I am a die hard Jets fan, so its hard not to love the players who help the team... I was upset when we traded Vilma, but after watching Harris wrack up a good 18, 19, 22 tackles a game... It was clear that Vilma never fit the 3-4 position, and it was time for the Jets to trade away a great 4-3 MLB, below average 3-4 IMLB...

I loved Chad because of his accuracy and he USE to be great in the red zone with really good accuracy. This is not the Chad who use to throw to Randy Moss, or even Coles. And its never a good thing when your backup QB is holding a football on the sideline, with his helmet on, while a young QB is trying to help lead the Jets on the field. Chad would make a solid backup, but this is Kellens squad and it's not fair for Kellen to have to look over his back every play and see Chad dying on the sidelines and praying to be under center. I agree, sign a veteran QB and let Chad sign with KC.

With L.Coles, he's really a good guy... Maybe Coles can take Kellen under his wing and be a team player... I know Coles is a Herm type of Jet, but I still want Coles on this team if we can find some way to make him happy.

Banned
    I'd trade or cut Pennington.

I'd pull Coles aside and tell him, "One more word and you're a taxi squad player." He would not get another dime above what he has already agreed to play for.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Vick View Post
    I'd trade or cut Pennington.

I'd pull Coles aside and tell him, "One more word and you're a taxi squad player." He would not get another dime above what he has already agreed to play for.
    So who would back up our well below average QB then???????????????????????????

Rookie
    I'd say if Coles and a pick(if he have any left) could snag Larry Fitzgerald away from the Cardnials(they couldn't come to a long term agreement so he might be traded) I would be down for it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyjetsman28 View Post
    I'd say if Coles and a pick(if he have any left) could snag Larry Fitzgerald away from the Cardnials(they couldn't come to a long term agreement so he might be traded) I would be down for it.
    It would have to be Coles + our number 6 in the 1st round, no way.

I really wanna see us draft McFadden or Gholston, no way would I want this Jets FO to take Fitzgerald with his huge contract... While losing Coles AND our 6th overall pick.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    So who would back up our well below average QB then???????????????????????????
    Who the f*ck cares?

ABP- Anyone but Pennington

Sign Chris Simms. hes better than Pennington too.

Our well below average QB ius still a lot better than Pennington so what does that make him?

Veteran
    The O needs a playmaker more than the D needs another LB.

Get Fitzgerald if you can.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    Who the f*ck cares?

ABP- Anyone but Pennington

Sign Chris Simms. hes better than Pennington too.

Our well below average QB ius still a lot better than Pennington so what does that make him?
    Simms cant find a friggen passing lane, too manny batted down balls, I live in Tampa and see it firsthand. Why do you think Gruden doesnt like him?

All Pro
    The swithc has been made at QB away from Chad.
    No it has not. There is an open competition for the job.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Queens2FLoridaJetsFan View Post
    It would have to be Coles + our number 6 in the 1st round, no way.

I really wanna see us draft McFadden or Gholston, no way would I want this Jets FO to take Fitzgerald with his huge contract... While losing Coles AND our 6th overall pick.
    It is possible that it wouldn't take a 1 to get Fitzgerald...in a world where TO and Randy Moss are traded for third rounders and McCareins goes for a second. Rumors are the Eagles might get Fitzgerald for Lito Sheppard and a pick or group of picks, probably not any first rounders. Just some wishful thinking I guess.

All League
    Simms cant find a friggen passing lane, too manny batted down balls, I live in Tampa and see it firsthand. Why do you think Gruden doesnt like him?
    and Pennington hits the other team for TDs almost as much as our team.

Simms>Pennington.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets 4 Life View Post
    and Pennington hits the other team for TDs almost as much as our team.

Simms>Pennington.
    You obviously have no clue what your talking about... I'm not even a Chad fan. But your just wrong.

All League
    You obviously have no clue what your talking about... I'm not even a Chad fan. But your just wrong.
    Im just not interested in Chad in the least. Ive seen enough.

Banned
    At least SImms or anyone else for that matter does not have the potential to become a team dividing distraction that Chad has.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Blocker View Post
    At least SImms or anyone else for that matter does not have the potential to become a team dividing distraction that Chad has.
    How has Chad been a team dividing distraction???? Ive never seen any evidence of this.

All League
    How has Chad been a team dividing distraction???? Ive never seen any evidence of this.
    He said potential. And he can be if he loses the job. The first bad game Clemens has (when he gets the job hopefully), hes going to be looking over his shoulder not to mention that from everything I read everyone in the locker room loves Chad. And we know tha tPennington is Mangini's secret lover as is anyway.