Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why Is David Barrett Still on the Roster?

Angry Why Is David Barrett Still on the Roster?

His salary info --

3/5/2004: Signed a six-year, $21 million contract. The deal included a $4.5 million signing bonus. 2008: $3.6 million, 2009: $3.71 million, 2010: Free Agent

IMO he is a worthless P_O_S, you always know where opposing QB's are going on 3rd-and-long. Now that the Jets are trimming the deadwood, how do they justify keeping this loser?

All Pro
    Listen, David "10 Yard Cushion" Barrett can play on any team in the NFL.

As long as it's not for us anymore.

All League
    He's there for depth. What's the depth chart look like?

Revis
    Barret
    Miller
    Drew Coleman
    Woolfork
    Hawkins?

I'm actually pretty shocked they let go of Dyson.

I'll drive him to the airport myself.

Hall Of Fame
    3.6 mill for a starting caliber corner isn't terrible. Does Barrett play 15 yards off of guys, yes, but I don't think he is a complete liability, and he often seems to make big plays (Steelers playoff game, one game where he stripped a ball and recovered it, etc.)

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RagArm50 View Post
    His salary info --

3/5/2004: Signed a six-year, $21 million contract. The deal included a $4.5 million signing bonus. 2008: $3.6 million, 2009: $3.71 million, 2010: Free Agent

IMO he is a worthless P_O_S, you always know where opposing QB's are going on 3rd-and-long. Now that the Jets are trimming the deadwood, how do they justify keeping this loser?
    It's got me scratching my head. I'd rather have Poteat. I hate Barrett. He's sucked from day 1. We are going to draft another CB. I say cut Barrett now and resign Poteat.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post

Revis
    Barret
    Miller
    Drew Coleman
    Woolfork
    Hawkins?

I'm actually pretty shocked they let go of Dyson.
    Me too. He must have been unable to recover because when he was healthy, he was a very good CB.

Hall Of Fame
    Barrett is a feast or famine type player. But his bad games outnumber his good games.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    We have to keep the illusion of being set in the secondary so we can draft a CB without giving away our plan. Barrett provides depth right now with Revis and Miller. Once we draft a CB we could see Barrett gone before June is my guess.

I'm not sure if there is any major financial benefit to cutting him now vs. cutting him in 2 months.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3 View Post
    3.6 mill for a starting caliber corner isn't terrible. Does Barrett play 15 yards off of guys, yes, but I don't think he is a complete liability, and he often seems to make big plays (Steelers playoff game, one game where he stripped a ball and recovered it, etc.)
    Exactly. For starters, Barrett although not great, isn't nearly as bad as many on here make him out to be. Like it or not, behind Revis he is the second most proven guy on the Jets roster and until they can bring in some other players, he'll still be around. There's no guarantee he'll make it through camp, but somebody will have to beat him. Look through the roster at CB right now. Outside of Revis you have Dyson and Poteat are both gone (although Poteat could very well be bacK), Barrett and then Miller coming off an injury and still never having shown anything at CB in a regular season game, Coleman who's just been a backup/rotational player and Woolfork who was a first round bust that was out of the league last year. With that cast, the Jets would have to be insane to let Barrett go. Not until they get at least two more quality NFL CBs on this roster.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeyman3 View Post
    I remember that game!

But yeah, D. Barr always seems to have the randomly great game. I don't think its terrible that we keep him, but that cash does seem pretty high.

As a starter, he's got to be in the bottom four or five in the league, and he makes way too much money for a backup. He can't cover the slot, either. We got serious problems, folks.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Sad part is, he's the second best corner on the roster right now.

Quote Originally Posted by JFB View Post

Revis
    Barret
    Miller
    Drew Coleman
    Woolfork
    Hawkins?
    How could you leave out Manny Collins?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerricho89 View Post
    How could you leave out Manny Collins?
    He's cut today. Tomorrow he'll go back and edit him in once the Jets announce they signed him.

Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    Sad part is, he's the second best corner on the roster right now.

No kidding. Man, you guys have got to be kidding yourself's at this point! Miller!!!??? Miller?????
    He hasn't played in a year and when he did he SUCKED in the secondary. I don't even know what his role is on the team now with Washington taking over the return duties.
    Barrett is the 2nd best we have now and it's not even close.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    We have to keep the illusion of being set in the secondary so we can draft a CB without giving away our plan. .
    YOU JUST GAVE IT AWAY!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    We have to keep the illusion of being set in the secondary so we can draft a CB without giving away our plan. Barrett provides depth right now with Revis and Miller. Once we draft a CB we could see Barrett gone before June is my guess.

I'm not sure if there is any major financial benefit to cutting him now vs. cutting him in 2 months.
    Exactly. Why would we show our hand so early? Especially after addressing our major needs in free agency, which has the side benefit of not broadcasting our draft plans to other teams. Now no one, including us fans, know what the Jets are doing on draft day. If we cut Barrett now, it would make it that much more likely that we would be going cornerback in the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Well they can't turn the roster over in one offseason. It takes time. I would imagine if we pick up a corner in the draft or FA, they'll cut him shortly thereafter. Have patience Jets fans......

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyShuler View Post
    No kidding. Man, you guys have got to be kidding yourself's at this point! Miller!!!??? Miller?????
    He hasn't played in a year and when he did he SUCKED in the secondary. I don't even know what his role is on the team now with Washington taking over the return duties.
    Barrett is the 2nd best we have now and it's not even close.
    Miller will still be around as a nickle or dime back. But as good as Washington is as a kick returner, Miller is better. That will be his primary position with us.