Thread: OT-Biopsy on Yankees’ broadcaster Bobby Murcer shows no sign of tumor

Schluberator & Gadfly ®

OT-Biopsy on Yankees’ broadcaster Bobby Murcer shows no sign of tumor

Here's some good news about one of my boyhood hero's (Yes I'm a Mets fan who liked Bobby Murcer, so sue me!)

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_yl...v=ap&type=lgns

Biopsy on Yankees’ broadcaster Bobby Murcer shows no sign of tumor
    2 hours, 19 minutes ago

TAMPA, Fla. (AP)—A brain biopsy on New York Yankees broadcaster Bobby Murcer showed no sign that a tumor had reoccurred.

An MRI exam last week showed an area of concern, which prompted the biopsy Monday at The University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center.

“We received great news this morning,” Murcer said in statement released by the Yankees on Wednesday. “The biopsy revealed scar tissue. It showed no signs of cancer. It’s what we had hoped for all along. I plan on resting at home over the next few weeks and focusing my energy on returning to the stadium for its final opening day. My family and I thank everyone for their prayers, e-mails, cards and thoughts.”

Murcer was scheduled to leave the hospital Wednesday and return to his Oklahoma home.

An All-Star outfielder who played 17 seasons in the major leagues, Murcer had surgery in December 2006—four days after being diagnosed with a malignant brain tumor.

The 61-year-old Murcer played for the Yankees, San Francisco Giants and Chicago Cubs from 1965-83, batting .277 with 252 home runs and 1,043 RBIs. He has been a popular broadcaster on Yankees games for 23 seasons, winning several Emmy Awards.

Veteran
    That's awesome news!!!

Hall Of Fame
    This is the best news I've heard all week.

Nice.

All Pro
    Wonderful news. One of my favorites and a class act.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Wow. Excellent news.

I was going to take bad news about Bobby very hard. It seems like I grew up with him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Wow. Excellent news.

I was going to take bad news about Bobby very hard. It seems like I grew up with him.
    You know, I hated the Yankees as a kid, but I was a huge Murcer fan. This bums me out big time, very happy it's benign.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    You know, I hated the Yankees as a kid, but I was a huge Murcer fan. This bums me out big time, very happy it's benign.
    He actually was diagnosed last Christmas with a brain tumor, which was malignant. He had surgery to remove the tumor a few days after being diagnosed. He went through the chemotherapy and everything looked great, he returned to the the broadcast booth last season. His most recent scare was during his monthly MRI scan. Luckily it was only scar tissue, and not another tumor.

Veteran
    Awesome news for Bobby and his family. I had an uncle and a brother-in-law die of brain cancer. Although it was years ago, I can still very vividly see the suffering they and our family went through. (Rest in peace UR & B.) And prayers for Bobby that he will live out the rest of his life cancer free.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergen Jet View Post
    Wonderful news. One of my favorites and a class act.
    +1, Bobby is great in the booth, and a compliment to the Yankee organization on and off the field. Always humble, a true gentleman and a good broadcaster.

I always felt like John Andraise was similar when he and Marv did the Knicks games.

Great news! Best of health to you BM.

All League
    PET or SPECT scan may have shown the same thing without an invasive biopsy.........but our friends in TX are aggressive in treating that disease