Thread: Jets/Phins Workout Gholston

Jets/Phins Workout Gholston

Don't know if anybody posted this. Could be Tangini and Parcels may battle over Gholston. He's my preference for our 6th pick. From Ohio.Com:

Gholston, Barton shine at workout

OSU linemen improve on their 40-yard dash times

By Marla Ridenour
    Beacon Journal sportswriter

Published on Saturday, Mar 08, 2008

COLUMBUS: Ohio State right tackle Kirk Barton wanted to show the NFL ''they're not buying a lemon'' after his arthroscopic knee surgery.

Defensive end Vernon Gholston, who turned in one of the best workouts at last month's combine, wanted to show that it wasn't a one-time feat.

Both accomplished their goals Friday during OSU's Pro Day at the Woody Hayes Athletic Center. Barton was so thrilled afterward, he vowed to buy dinner for Eric Lichter, the Buckeyes' director of football performance.

Projected as a top 10 pick in the April 26 draft, Gholston, 6-foot-3 and 266 pounds, ran the 40 in 4.58 seconds and said he slowed down after 20 yards because he felt something in the hamstring he first pulled Monday. He also hit 42 inches in the vertical jump, getting ''more leg explosion.''

Pro scouts were buzzing in Indianapolis after Gholston, who said he will work out for the Miami Dolphins and New York Jets on Monday, ran the 40 in 4.67 seconds (third among defensive linemen) and topped his position group with a 351/2-inch vertical.

Asked why he ran again, Gholston said, ''A lot of the times I saw were in the 4.6 range and I know I wasn't in that range; 4.5 is what I wanted to push for.''

That didn't surprise Ohio State defensive coordinator Jim Heacock.

''He's a very competitive person,'' Heacock said. ''He wants to do the drills because he's not satisfied with what he did, even though everyone else told him he excelled.''

Barton, a Perry High School product, was motivated because he suffered a knee injury at the Senior Bowl and had an arthroscopy Jan. 24. He had only three weeks to train for the 40 with Lichter.

With Lichter working on his starting technique, Barton said, he trimmed about two-tenths of a second off his 40 time and ran it in 4.95 seconds.

''It's a moneymaker. I'll take it,'' Barton said. ''I was disappointed I couldn't run at the combine because I thought I'd be able to put up some great times. When you step up to the plate in front of all the scouts and are able to pop off a 4.95, it's exciting. It upgrades your status. I'm expecting to get some individual workouts from some offensive line coaches based on those times.''

He said he also hit 311/2 inches in the vertical jump and had good shuttle clockings. At the combine, Barton lifted 225 pounds 34 times, third among offensive linemen.

Barton said he watched the movie 300 Thursday night to get pumped up for the workout.

''I'm a big fan of that movie,'' he said. ''It was kind of like I was in the phalanx today and I couldn't let my mom and sister down.''

JetsInsider.com Legend
    thread already in draft forum

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    thread already in draft forum

Thanks. Had just read their March 8th article. I'm two days behind the news