Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carl Nicks banned from his own Pro Day!

All Pro

Carl Nicks banned from his own Pro Day!

Pelini meets with team about weekend troubles

Just got back from chatting with Bo Pelini.

Following some off-the-field incidents over the weekend, Pelini had a meeting with his team Monday night.

Among other things, former Husker offensive lineman Carl Nicks is banned from participating in Wednesday's Pro Day in front of NFL scouts at Memorial Stadium.

Pelini said he's banned from being around the program because he has set a bad example with past behavior. Nicks and former Husker receiver Maurice Purify were involved in a party over the weekend with some current Huskers that resulted in several tickets being handed out.

Pelini said Purify has about a 50-50 chance of participating Wednesday. He's looking further into that situation.

The coach said one player has even been dismissed from the team -- don't know who that is yet. Pelini said Andy Christensen's status of being indefinitely suspended hasn't changed.

About the weekend troubles of his team, Pelini issued a statement:

"Every young man involved in an incident over the weekend is being dealt with on an individual basis. A few players have been indefinitely suspended from the team, while others have been disciplined internally.

"I talked with the entire team (Monday) night and clearly explained to them that from this point forward we will have a zero tolerance policy regarding alcohol and social responsibility. Our players understand the intent of this rule and what we are trying to accomplish. Therefore, any violation will be handled individually as it pertains to the specific circumstance.
    http://www.journalstar.com/blog/husk...&pb=1#comments

I dont think it effects his draft stock, unless your a team like the Jets. Cant see him being our selection now esp because this is repeated, and the timing.

Veteran
    good get Hardy

Hall Of Fame
    The Bengals or Titans will sign him.

I hope Nicks enjoyed the party. It could cost him a million dollars.

Hall Of Fame
    That's ridiculous.

So the new coach's way to send a message is to come down hard on a player he never coached and wouldn't have been on the team next season (i.e a guy he has no relationship with and who can't do anything to help Pelini) but Purify (the guy he needs for next season) is free to practice the next day??

What an *******

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    I dont think it effects his draft stock, unless your a team like the Jets.
    KR it affects his draft stock for all teams. this is not his first offense and the character questions have been there for a long long time.

All Pro
    No matter how many times you tell these kids - they gotta learn it themselves.

Hall Of Fame
    Good, we pick him up in the 3rd round or trade up later in the 2nd to get him.

For things like this I'd look at this situation and any past troubles and get the facts. Big no no's for me would be guns and drugs.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

teams have already started removing Nicks from their draft board...this is the whip cream on top of horsesh!t...

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I hope Nicks enjoyed the party. It could cost him a million dollars.
    At least he informed us of how stupid he really is, before the draft.........

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Rhodes View Post
    http://www.journalstar.com/blog/husk...&pb=1#comments

I dont think it effects his draft stock, unless your a team like the Jets. Cant see him being our selection now esp because this is repeated, and the timing.
    Well one thing is clear to me...he is stupid...all he had to do was leave....but nooooooo....he had to stay...get busted and he did it just before the draft....that is stupid !

All League
    Carl Nicks=Richie Incognito

Veteran
    thats ****ing stupid.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by doggin94it View Post
    That's ridiculous.

So the new coach's way to send a message is to come down hard on a player he never coached and wouldn't have been on the team next season (i.e a guy he has no relationship with and who can't do anything to help Pelini) but Purify (the guy he needs for next season) is free to practice the next day??

What an *******
    I gotta agree. This is a really stupid move for Pelini and he is a f*cking idiot for doing it. For a program that has just fallen of the face of the earth to keep a kid from having a pro day because of something that stupid is absolutely ridiculous. Especially considering the points that you have made with him never coaching Nicks and never will.

As far as Nicks is concerned, the timing on this really stoopid. When I first said this was no big deal...I didnt realize his proday was 2 day away. Not a good decision on his part.

However, I still dont see the incident as being a "character flaw" like many want to make it out to be. I think this will hurt his stock in the draft, but it wouldnt keep me from drafting him if I were a GM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JiF View Post
    I gotta agree. This is a really stupid move for Pelini and he is a f*cking idiot for doing it. For a program that has just fallen of the face of the earth to keep a kid from having a pro day because of something that stupid is absolutely ridiculous.
    It sends a message to the kids in the program that the days of accountability are here - it emphasizes character.

Quote Originally Posted by JiF View Post
    However, I still dont see the incident as being a "character flaw" like many want to make it out to be. I think this will hurt his stock in the draft, but it wouldnt keep me from drafting him if I were a GM.
    If a player doesn't respect the authority of the police before the draft he's not going to respect it after the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    If a player doesn't respect the authority of the police before the draft he's not going to respect it after the draft.
    Not necessarily, certainly some guys are trouble from day one no matter where they are but there is such a thing as being young and dumb and learning the hard way. You never know when soemthing like this might turn the guy around when someone whether it be agent or parent gets the message though. when looking at picking guys like this it is always risk vs reward. The risk is that the guy is low character and you lose a valuable pick. The reward is that the smartens up and you get a player rated much higher than where he is drafted.

Risk can pay off. (see the Pats last year picking up Moss and Stallworth.)

All Pro
    It sends a message to the kids in the program that the days of accountability are here - it emphasizes character.

cue eff tee

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    Not necessarily, certainly some guys are trouble from day one no matter where they are but there is such a thing as being young and dumb and learning the hard way. You never know when soemthing like this might turn the guy around when someone whether it be agent or parent gets the message though. when looking at picking guys like this it is always risk vs reward. The risk is that the guy is low character and you lose a valuable pick. The reward is that the smartens up and you get a player rated much higher than where he is drafted.
    Let me again point to exhibit A justin Miller. We all were on the forum when it happened, and we all said the same thing, he's just a kid, it was just a party, blah blah blah. Fast forward to present day Justin Miller gets bad penalties, mouths off to Mangini during games on camera, punches ladies in the mouth at the club and is generally a mess. Turns out that campus party was a big deal and he deservedly dropped in the draft. I'd bet money he doesn't turn it around, and isn't a Jet after his rookie deal is over. basically he was a punk pre-draft and he's a punk now.

Carl Nicks is even worse than Miller because this is not his first problem. these guys think the law doesn't apply to them, and to reward this player with a high draft pick is rewarding bad behavior. To have him workout at the pro day would send a message to the guys still there that if you are a big enough star you can do whatever you want without consequences.

they didn't draft these guys. they signed risk they don't develop risk, there's a huge difference.

Hall Of Fame
    Let me again point to exhibit A justin Miller. We all were on the forum when it happened, and we all said the same thing, he's just a kid, it was just a party, blah blah blah. Fast forward to present day Justin Miller gets bad penalties, mouths off to Mangini during games on camera, punches ladies in the mouth at the club and is generally a mess. Turns out that campus party was a big deal and he deservedly dropped in the draft. I'd bet money he doesn't turn it around, and isn't a Jet after his rookie deal is over. basically he was a punk pre-draft and he's a punk now.

Carl Nicks is even worse than Miller because this is not his first problem. these guys think the law doesn't apply to them, and to reward this player with a high draft pick is rewarding bad behavior. To have him workout at the pro day would send a message to the guys still there that if you are a big enough star you can do whatever you want without consequences.

they didn't draft these guys. they signed risk they don't develop risk, there's a huge difference.

They gave up a 4th rounder for Moss, whats the diff between usinga 4th rounder on a carl nicks and trading a 4th rounder for moss?

All I'm saying is that if you tread the line of high moral character too much you end up overdrafting guys like Schlegel.

Do you go ahead and draft a Nicks early round 2 like was suggested previously? No.

If he falls to round 4 and he's the best OL by miles at that spot you have to consider it.

http://www.huskers.com/ViewArticle.d...&Q_SEASON=2007

Nicks is married with a 3 year old daughter. If he hasn't grown up by now, he's probably not going to.