Thread: Pat Sims at DE?!?

All Pro

Pat Sims at DE?!?

I still see the DE position on our defense as a huge need. If we could replace Shaun Ellis with a young player who is a better fit for the 3-4, then we could look at a monster front seven next season...

How about Pat Sims, great upside, All SEC selection last year and has the measurables...

Rookie
    Ellis is 30 with 5 good years left in him, hes hardly ever been injured and he has bilked up before to 300 when we needed him at tackle, think of something else to talk about.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    I still see the DE position on our defense as a huge need. If we could replace Shaun Ellis with a young player who is a better fit for the 3-4, then we could look at a monster front seven next season...

How about Pat Sims, great upside, All SEC selection last year and has the measurables...
    Ellis is a great fit for the 3-4, he was drafted by Parcells/Groh in 2000 specifically to be a 3-4 End and was our best player on the line last year. Not sure why people actually think he needs to be replaced.

With that said though, Sims would make a good 3-4 DE.
    Last edited by Ven0m; 03-12-2008 at 06:34 PM.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Ellis is a great fit for the 3-4, he was drafted by Parcells/Groh in 2000 specifically to be a 3-4 End and was our best player on the line last year. Not sure why people actually think he needs to be replaced.

With that said though, Sims would make a good 3-4 DE.
    Exactly, and he will most likely be there in round two. Good 3-4 DEs are hard to find and it's a position where we are extremely thin at... what do we have after Coleman and Ellis?!? DeVito?!? Geez...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Flaming Mo View Post
    Exactly, and he will most likely be there in round two. Good 3-4 DEs are hard to find and it's a position where we are extremely thin at... what do we have after Coleman and Ellis?!? DeVito?!? Geez...
    Oh, I wouldn't mind seeing a backup to Ellis and Coleman. If you'll notice in my sig I have Nick Hayden going here who I think would be a good 3-4 DE but available much later.

But I don't think we need to replace Ellis. He's a good player for us.

All Pro
    I don't know why Ellis gets love for being mediocre. He does not play up to his salary IMO and gets a free ride from the board.

Is he solid, yeah kinda. He doesn't make any impact plays, I know it's tough at his position but I rarely see him redirecting run plays or getting pressure.

I think his play has been sub-standard considering his price tag ever since he signed the big contract. It's not a top priority but he certainly could be upgraded IMO.

For the record I believe Kenyon was much more stout against the run last season though ellis def got more pressure on the QB.

All Pro
    He does disapear for lengths at a time. I understand that 3-4 DE pretty much are their to take up blocks and impact the run game. This pick for deptch and to keep people fresh makes sense to me. Though he's not stellar not sure Ellis warrants a replacement just yet.

Ellis is OK. He's probably not as productive as his salary warrants. So a young guy to push him or eventually replace him would probably be a good thing.

Why has everyone forgotten about Kareem Brown ? He was drafted in the 4th by the Patriots last year. The Jets got him from their practice squad. He's got good size for a 3-4 DE and played at the U so he's probably got some talent. Since he's been on the team for a year I'd guess he's ready to play.

Sims I don't like so much. He actually quit the Auburn team in 2005. So that's a question mark. Sims also only put up 20 reps at the Combine. There were some DB who lifted more than that. So I'm not impressed with the guys commitment to being a pro. I'd pass on Sims.

I'd much rather have Dre Moore or Red Bryant as DE prospects.

Rookie
    his salary is peanuts compared to what the new contract standards are.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Ellis is OK. He's probably not as productive as his salary warrants. So a young guy to push him or eventually replace him would probably be a good thing.

Why has everyone forgotten about Kareem Brown ? He was drafted in the 4th by the Patriots last year. The Jets got him from their practice squad. He's got good size for a 3-4 DE and played at the U so he's probably got some talent. Since he's been on the team for a year I'd guess he's ready to play.

Sims I don't like so much. He actually quit the Auburn team in 2005. So that's a question mark. Sims also only put up 20 reps at the Combine. There were some DB who lifted more than that. So I'm not impressed with the guys commitment to being a pro. I'd pass on Sims.

I don't think Brown has been on the team for all that long. They picked him up late november I think. In like the 11th or 12th week of the season. Still, he's the type of guy you want on the practice squad, a raw guy with some upside, good size, but I wouldn't count on him for anything.

Hall Of Fame

Top 3-4 Ends IMO

1. Kentwan Balmer - UNC
    2. Red Bryant - Texas A&M
    3. Dre Moore - Maryland
    4. Pat Sims - Auburn
    5. Kendall Langford - Hampton
    6. Nick Hayden - Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Top 3-4 Ends IMO

1. Kentwan Balmer - UNC
    2. Red Bryant - Texas A&M
    3. Dre Moore - Maryland
    4. Pat Sims - Auburn
    5. Kendall Langford - Hampton
    6. Nick Hayden - Wisconsin

I like Langford and Hayden as possible late round picks.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by ADemas View Post
    Ellis is 30 with 5 good years left in him, hes hardly ever been injured and he has bilked up before to 300 when we needed him at tackle, think of something else to talk about.
    If Ellis could get his weight back up to 300 lbs. that would be nice.The jets need him at 300 to play DE in the 3/4 this year so Jenkins doesn't get tired as fast.

All Pro

Damn, you're right, I forgot about Kareem Brown, even though we never know how he turns out...

Banned
    I honestly dont think there is a tougher position to project then a 3-4 DE.

Its a very hard position to play because stats dont really speak to the impact the player in having on his team. DT is college that a litlte undersized? Its a tough position to gauge.

I like the guys mentioned. Really like Kendal Langford in the late rounds.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by ADemas View Post
    his salary is peanuts compared to what the new contract standards are.
    that should motivate him