Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 49ers place WR Darrell Jackson on waivers

49ers place WR Darrell Jackson on waivers

Hall Of Fame
    Don't we have enough players on our roster with long-term injury concerns already?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by XingDaorong View Post
    The 49ers dumped Jackson to sign 81 year old Isaac Bruce and Arizona's 3rd WR, Bryant Johnson. Darrell can't be that good anymore when your team needs WRs and you're dumping him.

Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post
    Don't we have enough players on our roster with long-term injury concerns already?
    As a #1 receiver Jackson was solid for Seattle, as a #2 or #3 behind Coles and Cotchery he is the cure all for at least two seasons for WR depth.

Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    The 49ers dumped Jackson to sign 81 year old Isaac Bruce and Arizona's 3rd WR, Bryant Johnson. Darrell can't be that good anymore when your team needs WRs and you're dumping him.
    Jackson started producing towards the end of the season, but consider who he had throwing the ball in SF last year. Alex Smith and Shaun Hill, two JAG QBs. Bruce was brought in because Mike Martz went to the 49ers and needs a system player. Johnson was signed to a one year deal and had similar numbers to Jackson last year.

Hall Of Fame
    As a #1 receiver Jackson was solid for Seattle, as a #2 or #3 behind Coles and Cotchery he is the cure all for at least two seasons for WR depth.
    Not when he can barely walk anymore. The Days of Darrell Jackson being a productive receiver in this league ended 2 years ago.

Hall Of Fame
    No seriously.. If hes willing to sign on short money... He would be a move well worth the risk. They guy can play, good veteran leadership, if our cap situation is manageable, it wouldnt be a bad move.

Not when he can barely walk anymore. The Days of Darrell Jackson being a productive receiver in this league ended 2 years ago.
    What is his injury history? I know he's missed games the past few seasons but he has much more of an upside to him than Hackett or Johnson.

All League
    Not a bad player..but I would rather get a younger WR...

http://forums.49ers.com/messageboard...splay.php?f=20

49ers fans are mixed in what they think of the cut. Some argue that Jackson didn't live up to his salary, dropped some passes, and cost them too much money while others are arguing that there was no legitmate passing offense to begin with. IMO, he is definitely worth the risk over the UFA receivers left out there. He had a 10 TD 956 yard season in 13 games in 2006 and most likely would have broken the 1,000 yard mark if he played longer. He had a down year in SF but then again, look what happened to Randy Moss in Oakland and Derrick Mason in his second season with Baltimore. Jackson could definitely rebound with the Jets and could help Clemens/Chad immensely by providing another proven WR on the offense.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by shodan9999 View Post
    We will during the draft WRs are deep in the draft this year... This is a short term vetern guy we can use.

Quote Originally Posted by shodan9999 View Post
    There are plenty out there (Hackett, Parker, etc...) who are worth a look but signing Jackson could establish the solid WR depth the Jets have lacked since Johnson and Chrebet played on the same team. If Coles is injured again (a moderate possibility) Jackson could fill in or be a productive #3.

Hall Of Fame
    What is his injury history? I know he's missed games the past few seasons but he has much more of an upside to him than Hackett or Johnson.
    Chronic Turf Toe, and rumors of a Degenerative Knee Condition have been floating around for several years now.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I had him on my FF team this past season. He was horrible. I monitored him closely. He had 80+ yards once I think.

Sadly, McCareins is better.

Chronic Turf Toe, and rumors of a Degenerative Knee Condition have been floating around for several years now.
    He played well enough in the '05 Super Bowl and the following season and was traded to SF for a 4th rounder. Chances are he won't want much money (not a guarantee though) and could start behind Coles and Cotch. He has had injuries no doubt, but it didn't hurt his production in SF so much as the non-existent passing game did. At the very least the Jets should bring him in for a workout and a physical to see if his knee injury is a factor in his production.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    I had him on my FF team this past season. He was horrible. I monitored him closely. He had 80+ yards once I think.

Yes because he was hurt/ and had Alex Smith as QB

Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post

McCareins didn't catch a TD last season, and had around half the yards Jackson did. Jackson is the best possibly #3 the Jets could hope to get (unless James Hardy falls to them at pick #37). Hackett was out for ankle related injuries last year as well. Both are risks but Jackson has three 1,000 yard seasons and more TDs than Coles and Cotch combined. He's 29 years old now (younger than Coles) and probably still has plenty left in the tank, he will be off the market within a few weeks.
    Last edited by XingDaorong; 03-15-2008 at 02:19 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    He had knee surgery in 2005 and missed most of the season. It was not reconstructive surgery. He had a quad and toe injury last year but only missed 1 game. I'm not aware of anything else. He just turned 29 recently so he's still got 2 years left in him if he stays healthy. Might be worth a look. Plus, he's one good looking dude

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Any links to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    He had knee surgery in 2005 and missed most of the season. It was not reconstructive surgery. He had a quad and toe injury last year but only missed 1 game. I'm not aware of anything else. He just turned 29 recently so he's still got 2 years left in him if he stays healthy. Might be worth a look. Plus, he's one good looking dude
    I agree, and if Jackson can improve his play in the Jet's west coast offense to the level he did in Seattle's system he would be a lock as either a starting receiver or a #3. Clemens has the arm to deliver the ball down field, and now he has an improved offensive line and a pro-bowl full back. If Jackson becomes a Jet (which I don't think he will) he could add another legitimate offensive threat for a reasonable price.