Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: have the jets signed a bunch of has beens?

Veteran

have the jets signed a bunch of has beens?

in a conversation with a giant fan.he fears that the jets signed a bunch of has beens.he described each free agent that we had signed and said that their best years were behind them,excluding pace.he predicted that tanny and mangini would be fired if the jets did not show results.come to think about it.he may be right.
    Last edited by jets rooter; 03-16-2008 at 03:55 PM.

All Pro
    13, Knights Who say Ni street, Long Island, NY.
    Age aside.... all these players are significant upgrades to what we had at thier positions last season.

And honestly, who out of the players the Jets signed is really that old???
    Faneca 31
    Pace 27
    Woody 30
    Jenkins 28

Also remember... interior lineman play effectively into thier late 30's.
    Last edited by Starkweather; 03-16-2008 at 03:38 PM.

Banned
    I dont think so. Jenkins and Woody are truly not that old. Franks and Faneca plays a position that typically has a long shelf life. Richardson wont be here long and made the probowl last season.

I think they have signed solid veteran leadership to a very young talentless team.

All League
    I'm so tierd of this view.
    What do you expect fans of other teams to say?
    Their always going to be negative on the FA's
    we sign, but on the other hand if they signed them.
    They would change their tune, me thinks..

Banned
    There is a thin, thin line between being a "has-been that can no longer contribute" and a "veteran that can instantly become a veteran leader and can still contribute on the field." I am hoping the guys we got this year in FA are the latter... we won't know 'til they start playing the games.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jets rooter View Post
    in a convrsation with a giant fan.he fears that the jets signed a bunch of has beens.he described each free agent that we had signed and said that their best years were behind them,excluding pace.he predicted that tanny and mangini would be fired if the jets did not show results.come to think about it.he may be right.

Well if a Giant fan says it...we may as well just throw in the towel and forget the draft and the season...what is the use ? The only surprise about this tread is that we have not seen more like it....I wonder about Richardson at 37and being a FB...but the FO just may have taken the time to check things out...I am sure they would like to keep their jobs....I want to be positive...after 40 years the future is F/N NOW !

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrity28 View Post
    There is a thin, thin line between being a "has-been that can no longer contribute" and a "veteran that can instantly become a veteran leader and can still contribute on the field." I am hoping the guys we got this year in FA are the latter... we won't know 'til they start playing the games.
    it's a "thin, thin line" when you're getting middle-of-the-pack players. the Jets went out and got mostly Pro-Bowlers who are in their late 20's or early 30's (with the exception of Richardson).

i don't see how anyone can say these guys are washed up. they may be "past their prime" or whatever, but our big money guys like Jenkins and Faneca have A LOT of football left.

besides, on a talent-starved team you need to take risks. one of those risks is hoping that veterans can maintain a high playing level for a few more years.

Hall Of Fame
    Yes. That is exactly what we did. We signed a bunch of over-the-hill has beens who will regress into below average NFL starters this year. We are doomed. Tell your friend he is a genius and that we all owe him a debt of gratitude for showing us the light.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post
    Age aside.... all these players are significant upgrades to what we had at thier positions last season.

Faneca 31
    Pace 27
    Woody 30
    Jenkins 28

Agreed. Offensive Lineman can play until their Mid 30's at a high level, Defensive Lineman can play until 32-33 or so at a high level, so I think each of those guys should have a solid 3-4 years in them at least, at which point they should be extremely cuttable. It's also worth noting that we were one of the youngest teams in the league last year, some experiance should do us good.

The players im mildly concerned might be past their prime are Richardson (36, but coming off a Pro-Bowl season) and Franks (30, but mainly related to his Injuries), but Richardson is on a short-term commitment and Franks should be too so if they are they'll be extremely easy to get rid of.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    it's a "thin, thin line" when you're getting middle-of-the-pack players. the Jets went out and got mostly Pro-Bowlers who are in their late 20's or early 30's (with the exception of Richardson).

i don't see how anyone can say these guys are washed up. they may be "past their prime" or whatever, but our big money guys like Jenkins and Faneca have A LOT of football left.

besides, on a talent-starved team you need to take risks. one of those risks is hoping that veterans can maintain a high playing level for a few more years.
    No... its a thin, thin line when you consider the variables like age and weight of the players in question and the fact that they are expected to play NFL football at a level they achieve in the past, but they have those variable possibly working against them. EVERY player walks a line between being NFL caliber and a series of variables that inhibit their ability to play at the NFL level. The thin line of which I speak has to do with the fact that the guys are either old, or really fat, or both... and they have just been brought in to do the things they did when they were younger and not-so fat.

Example: The thin line between the age of 36 and 37 for Tony Richardson being a probowl FB, and a has-been FB is a very real threat... hopefully he don't cross that line for a season or two.

The thin line between Kris Jenkins being a 350lb probowl DT, and a 390lb NT is a very real threat.

I am not siding with those saying they are has-beens, but the threat is VERY relevant.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Starkweather View Post

Faneca 31
    Pace 27
    Woody 30
    Jenkins 28

Stark, I think it was you who was high on Weddle and McCauley last year. I liked both of them, and you also have Zbikowski on your wish list (as do I).

Good choices...

Practice Squad
    in a conversation with a giant fan.he fears that the jets signed a bunch of has beens.he described each free agent that we had signed and said that their best years were behind them,excluding pace.he predicted that tanny and mangini would be fired if the jets did not show results.come to think about it.he may be right.
    I guess we should have been targeting guys who have their best years still yet to be played (David Carr) ?

Hall Of Fame
    The has beens we have, are for nothing more then short money, and also for depth. Your friends a moron.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Some of you guys are too much..If a young player don't produce right away he's a Bust..If a proven player is in his late 20's or early 30's he's a over the hill player..Let me remind you that when we went from 1-15 to 12-4 in 2 years some of the important players were old pro's like Pepper Johnson,Lorenzo Neal,Corwin Brown,Dwayne Gordon,Ernie Logan,Anthony Pleasant,Bryan Cox and a old QB named Vinny Testaverde..

All Pro
    The Jets acquired the best available player at several positions of major need. All of these guys (except Pace) have proven to be a major upgrade over what we have on our roster. All of them are young when factoring in the position that they play (except Richardson coming off a pro-bowl).

If Pace can perform like he did last year our team has effectively improved 5 glaring weak spots with major upgrades. We have also set ourselves up to draft BAP with most of our picks this year.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Integrity28 View Post
    No... its a thin, thin line when you consider the variables like age and weight of the players in question and the fact that they are expected to play NFL football at a level they achieve in the past, but they have those variable possibly working against them. EVERY player walks a line between being NFL caliber and a series of variables that inhibit their ability to play at the NFL level. The thin line of which I speak has to do with the fact that the guys are either old, or really fat, or both... and they have just been brought in to do the things they did when they were younger and not-so fat.

Example: The thin line between the age of 36 and 37 for Tony Richardson being a probowl FB, and a has-been FB is a very real threat... hopefully he don't cross that line for a season or two.

The thin line between Kris Jenkins being a 350lb probowl DT, and a 390lb NT is a very real threat.

I am not siding with those saying they are has-beens, but the threat is VERY relevant.
    i get what you're saying, and in the case of Richardson, i agree with you completely.

however, what i was trying to get at, is that even though a 390-pound Kris Jenkins isn't the dominant force and arguably best DT in the game like the 350-pound Kris Jenkins, the "fatter" Jenkins is still better than most DTs in the league. so when i read stupid articles that say "the Jets are crazy for getting Kris Jenkins, he's eating himself out of the league" i tend to ignore them, because IMO, the potential reward for Jenkins far outweighs the potential risk. you see older DTs like Sam Adams, Pat Williams and Grady Jackson still going strong at 35, 36, and 35 years old, respectively.

same for Faneca; he might not be the best guard in the game anymore, but even a sub-par Faneca is better than most. assuming that neither Faneca or Jenkins regains their Pro-Bowl status (to follow a pessimistic scenario), they'd still be very good players and MAJOR upgrades over what the Jets had in previous years. THAT was my point. it's a thin line between being older and producing, and completely falling off, when you're dealing with JAG players. when you're dealing with some of the best players in the game, that line tends to be more flexible.

Damien Woody is more of a gamble, and i think the "thin line" applies to him. but that's why he only got an average contract (by today's FA standards).

Banned
    Boy he really went out on a limb with that one.

Imagine that, a coach and GM go on a big spending spree after a 4-12 season and might get fired if they don't show improvement. How novel!

Your Giants fan friend has been listening to way too much Mike and the Mad Dog, AKA Captain Obvious and Lt. Sports Cliche.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Some of you guys are too much..If a young player don't produce right away he's a Bust..If a proven player is in his late 20's or early 30's he's a over the hill player..Let me remind you that when we went from 1-15 to 12-4 in 2 years some of the important players were old pro's like Pepper Johnson,Lorenzo Neal,Corwin Brown,Dwayne Gordon,Ernie Logan,Anthony Pleasant,Bryan Cox and a old QB named Vinny Testaverde..
    Not to mention that we don't have as far to go as we did then. In '96 we were getting our asses kicked left and right.

Last year, 7 of losses were by 7 or less points, 10 were by 11 or less.

All these guys have to do to turn around that record is make a couple of plays a game that weren't made last year. Faneca opens a hole on third and goal to allow TJ to get a TD so we don't settle for three, Jenkins stuffs the RB on third and goal to make our opponent settle for three, Pace makes a tackle in the backfield to kill a drive, Woody seals off the edge on third and long to give Clemens more than half a second to make a big throw.

We see stuff like that happen and all of a sudden those seven losses turn into seven wins. Statistically, we weren't much worse in '07 than we were in '06. In fact, we were actually better in some areas. The biggest difference was we didn't make the type of plays that put us over the top like we did in '06. The most glaring difference was turnovers and takeaways.

If Faneca and Woody give our QBs more time to throw so they don't have to force things we will cut down significantly on turnovers. If Jenkins and Pace can make our front seven more disruptive, we can force the other guys into mistakes.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Klecko73isGod View Post
    Last year, 7 of losses were by 7 or less points, 10 were by 11 or less.
    Wow, it was worse than I remember, Jets lost 17 games!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by FoxboroFanatic2 View Post
    Wow, it was worse than I remember, Jets lost 17 games!
    This is a football thread and we are having a football conversation, little kids can go into the OT threads.

Let me break it down for your miniscule brain. The Jets lost 12 games last year. 7 of those losses were by 7 or less points. Three more were by 11 or less points so 10 of their losses were by 11 or less points.

Got it now? Good. Let the adults talks.