Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Started going to the gym... tips.

JetsInsider.com Legend

OT: Started going to the gym... tips.

Ok along with doing well in school, Im taking after school gym classes, and a 3 hour gym class every Saturday... all because I want to graduate. Anyway, I thought why not use this to my advantage, and workout in my school's workout room? So during the week Monday-Thursday I workout for an hour after school, 2:45-3:45.. I have been splitting my days between 25 mins of cardio/ legs and cardio/arms chest etc..

I just wanted some kind of guidance as to what kind of plan I can go on.. and on Saturday's I am there for 3 hours (1 hour with a nutritionist/personal trainer who comes for free) and about 2 hours in the workout room... all to my self. I LOVE it.. I do about 150lbs leg raise.. (not much I know.. but im just starting out..) I lift but lately I can't lift too much because I hurt my left shoulder... I go on the elliptical and for a half hour on 40 resistance, I jog, or run.. Also I spin for a half hour most of the time..

Can anyone maybe put those things into an organized schedule.. for me? I know people here are workout buffs..

At first it was a negative for me.. after school I wanted to go home, but now after I get out from working out I feel so refreshed.. and on Saturdays I was like no way im getting up 7 AM.. but I feel like im doing something productive.. and it is going to help me in the long run..

Monday - 2:45-3:45
    Tuesday - 2:45-3:45
    Wednesday - 2:45-3:45
    Thursday - 2:45-3:45

Saturday - 9:00 - 12:00

If anyone can help me split up my times in there into diff exercises on diff days for however long.. that would be great.. Thanks in advance.

Banned
    My tip is that cranking it to women on the elyptical is frowned upon.

All Pro
    2 things I can tell you...

1) start off slowly and build your workouts up over time or you may physically or mentally burn yourself out.

2) start with cardio and weight loss and after you loss some weight start worrying about building muscle.

Good luck man and remember 1 thing. All the work you put in NOW will lead to a much improved quality of life in your older days.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    First things first.

1. What's wrong with your shoulder?
    2. What's the nutrionist having you eat?
    3. What's your current workout routine?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergen Jet View Post
    2 things I can tell you...

1) start off slowly and build your workouts up over time or you may physically or mentally burn yourself out.

2) start with cardio and weight loss and after you loss some weight start worrying about building muscle.

Good luck man and remember 1 thing. All the work you put in NOW will lead to a much improved quality of life in your older days.
    Thanks Bergen, I was thinking about buying some equipment for my basement. I really really like it, at first I hated it.. but im starting to liker the thought that it is going to make me happier..and healthier..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Ok along with doing well in school, Im taking after school gym classes, and a 3 hour gym class every Saturday... all because I want to graduate. Anyway, I thought why not use this to my advantage, and workout in my school's workout room? So during the week Monday-Thursday I workout for an hour after school, 2:45-3:45.. I have been splitting my days between 25 mins of cardio/ legs and cardio/arms chest etc..

I just wanted some kind of guidance as to what kind of plan I can go on.. and on Saturday's I am there for 3 hours (1 hour with a nutritionist/personal trainer who comes for free) and about 2 hours in the workout room... all to my self. I LOVE it.. I do about 150lbs leg raise.. (not much I know.. but im just starting out..) I lift but lately I can't lift too much because I hurt my left shoulder... I go on the elliptical and for a half hour on 40 resistance, I jog, or run.. Also I spin for a half hour most of the time..

Can anyone maybe put those things into an organized schedule.. for me? I know people here are workout buffs..

At first it was a negative for me.. after school I wanted to go home, but now after I get out from working out I feel so refreshed.. and on Saturdays I was like no way im getting up 7 AM.. but I feel like im doing something productive.. and it is going to help me in the long run..

Monday - 2:45-3:45
    Tuesday - 2:45-3:45
    Wednesday - 2:45-3:45
    Thursday - 2:45-3:45

Saturday - 9:00 - 12:00

If anyone can help me split up my times in there into diff exercises on diff days for however long.. that would be great.. Thanks in advance.
    What are your short and long term goals (strength, weight loss, etc.). If you want to get bigger you should be doing different things than if you want to tone up, etc. Also, I wouldn't go crazy in the beginning (actually, every PT book says you go hard the first week, and then take about 5 days off to let your body adjust to the shock....it's a shock if you haven't been working out normally).

Don't forget to take care of your heart too. Lifting weights is great but you want to make sure you push your heart a little bit.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    First things first.

1. What's wrong with your shoulder?
    2. What's the nutrionist having you eat?
    3. What's your current workout routine?
    1. When I was lifting the other day my left shoulder that I have injured before gave out and went numb for like 10 seconds .. didn't get it checked out.. feels a little better now..

2. He gave us a diet plan that we have to check 1 out of each meal during the day.. whole wheat, lots of fruit, steamed stuff.. etc..

3. On Tuesdays and Thursdays I do cardio for a half hour, and than leg press after that.. Other days of the week, it's cardio chest, shoulders, etc..

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quality of the workout motion is 5x more important than the weight thats on it IMO. Dont sacrifice the motion just so you can bang out the sets.
    Good luck

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    What are your short and long term goals (strength, weight loss, etc.). If you want to get bigger you should be doing different things than if you want to tone up, etc. Also, I wouldn't go crazy in the beginning (actually, every PT book says you go hard the first week, and then take about 5 days off to let your body adjust to the shock....it's a shock if you haven't been working out normally).

Don't forget to take care of your heart too. Lifting weights is great but you want to make sure you push your heart a little bit.
    Weight loss, def weight loss above all else.. My teacher works out with me, he is in tip top health, so he helps me out a lot.. but when he is doing other stuff I'd like to know what I can do.. I think for the next few weeks, I should go cardio the whole time, and even when im home go walking or jogging around my local park..

All Pro
    Weight loss, def weight loss above all else.. My teacher works out with me, he is in tip top health, so he helps me out a lot.. but when he is doing other stuff I'd like to know what I can do.. I think for the next few weeks, I should go cardio the whole time, and even when im home go walking or jogging around my local park..
    Cycling is pretty fun too.

All Pro
    Thanks Bergen, I was thinking about buying some equipment for my basement. I really really like it, at first I hated it.. but im starting to liker the thought that it is going to make me happier..and healthier..
    I have a threadmill an bike in my spare room with a 57" HDTV Sony sitting infront of it. I use it two or three times a week and hit the gym twice a week.

I hit the gym for the punching bags and weight machines, but honestly I would recommend staying away from hitting the weights hard until you hit your target weight. Light weights with high reps for sculpting once you hit your target weight. Less reps with more weight build muscle mass which is hard to maintain as you get older. Honestly, people look better when they are obviously in shape instead of being a muscle head.

...and it will make you happier in the long run. Just remember that you will not see results over night.

All Pro
    There you go. Maybe even for more than a few weeks, but you will know when to start adding weights into the mix.

BTW, punching bag is a great cardio and fricken fun as hell. Just get yourself a pair of everlast neoprine wraps before hitting the bag. Your knuckles will thank you.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sdJETSetter View Post
    Cycling is pretty fun too.
    Yeah, I know I LOVE the spin bikes, although the seat is uncomfortable.. we have a pilattes/spin instructor there Tues and Weds, so some days im in the spin room.. she busts r ass, and we do this thing on Saturdays with Coach Munson VARSITY coach, called the "300" routine, 50 pull ups into 50 push ups into 50 sit ups do over and over until 300 is tallied..

Undrafted Free Agent
    Buy a sweat belt. They are like $12 and it helps when trying to lose weight. For something so simple, it def. works.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bergen Jet View Post
    I have a threadmill an bike in my spare room with a 57" HDTV Sony sitting infront of it. I use it two or three times a week and hit the gym twice a week.

I hit the gym for the punching bags and weight machines, but honestly I would recommend staying away from hitting the weights hard until you hit your target weight. Light weights with high reps for sculpting once you hit your target weight. Less reps with more weight build muscle mass which is hard to maintain as you get older. Honestly, people look better when they are obviously in shape instead of being a muscle head.

...and it will make you happier in the long run. Just remember that you will not see results over night.
    Oh for sure I know that.. the old cliche "Rome wasn't built in a day" was the 1st thing the trainer said to me.. it will be long and hard, but I will ride it out.. I will get healthy..

All Pro
    Yeah, I know I LOVE the spin bikes, although the seat is uncomfortable.. we have a pilattes/spin instructor there Tues and Weds, so some days im in the spin room.. she busts r ass, and we do this thing on Saturdays with Coach Munson VARSITY coach, called the "300" routine, 50 pull ups into 50 push ups into 50 sit ups do over and over until 300 is tallied..
    One other thing. Small, realistic goals. It takes peoples YEARS to put on the weight and they expect to lose it in days.

Set a bunch of smaller goals instead of one major goal. Make some goals non weight loss. Say you get winded running 1 mile make your goal 1.5 miles without getting winded. Say your target weight is 50 pounds away track it in 5 or 10 pound increments.

All Pro

Id maybe be good for 2 of those. Good Lord. By 2 i mean 2 sets of 50. Thats good all around workout though. With no weights even.

Hall Of Fame
    if weight loss is your main goal, then stick with that. if you wanna get into lifting, focus on getting good reps with good form, and forget about the weight.

above all, find the type of workout you enjoy, the one you won't mind doing even when you're tired or just feeling lazy... and don't forget the abs!!!

good luck

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets N Mets View Post
    Buy a sweat belt. They are like $12 and it helps when trying to lose weight. For something so simple, it def. works.
    Could I find one in a Modell's?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    To be honest with you, most exercise journals claim that lifting weights consumes more calories than does cardio-fitness. As long as you're lifting low weight and high reps, you'll begin to consume greater number of calories than you would heavy weight low reps. I think you'll find your niche as you keep working out. You should definitely try different things, but stick to those that you feel you get the most benefit from. I would do cardio no less than 3x week (as recommended by most fitness magazines/journals). If you have some experienced with you that can watch you and help you out, that's great. He'll be able to watch you if you're going to hurt yourself, lifting too much, etc.

If you're going to run, I would do some exercises to strengthen your hamstrings (muscle on the rear of your legs). I would also never stretch until after I significantly warmed up doing regular exercises.

Any questions you can always ask. I'm kind of confined to the office for the next few weeks, so I'll be on here daily.