Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DRob has negative value?

All League

DRob has negative value?

Broncos | Team still interested in Robertson
    Sun, 16 Mar 2008 16:26:11 -0700

Updating a previous report, Tom Rock, of Newsday, reports the Denver Broncos remain interested in acquiring New York Jets DT Dewayne Robertson despite his knee issues, according to a source. Apparently the two teams have been working on a deal that would send Robertson and a 2008 fourth-round draft choice to the Broncos, while the Jets would receive a 2008 fourth-round draft choice and a conditional draft choice that would likely be linked to playing time and performance.
    ==============================================

Why we would send DRob + HIGH 4th round pick to get LOW 4th round pick?
    Would ham sandwich be a better deal?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RussianGreen View Post

and a conditional draft choice that would likely be linked to playing time and performance==============================================

that could be anywhere from a 2-5 next year so lets just wait for the details before we go nuts

JetsInsider.com Legend

Updating a previous report, Tom Rock, of Newsday, reports the Denver Broncos remain interested in acquiring New York Jets DT Dewayne Robertson despite his knee issues, according to a source. Apparently the two teams have been working on a deal that would send Robertson and a 2008 fourth-round draft choice to the Broncos, while the Jets would receive a 2008 fourth-round draft choice and a conditional draft choice that would likely be linked to playing time and performance.

No thank you. If that's true, I would keep D-Rob. F the Broncos!

All League
    Well for one we would get rid of his massive contract, thats worth something in its own. They get D-Rob and lower 4th round pick and we get rid of his contract, get a higher pick in the fourth and im guessing a third in 2009.

Looks great to me.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Jordy View Post
    No thank you. If that's true, I would keep D-Rob. F the Broncos!
    I hope your kidding...

This report simply may not be accurate. Dont believe everything you read, The last reports were that we were RECEIVING 2 4th rounders from the Denver Broccolis for D-Rob.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by AG View Post
    Well for one we would get rid of his massive contract, thats worth something in its own. They get D-Rob and lower 4th round pick and we get rid of his contract, get a higher pick in the fourth and im guessing a third in 2009.

Looks great to me.

Wouldn't it make sense to just cut him instead? Why swap and in effect devalue our 4th rounder just to dump salary?

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Wouldn't it make sense to just cut him instead? Why swap and in effect devalue our 4th rounder just to dump salary?
    ummm ... because we'd be getting a possible 2nd,3rd,or 4th rounder next year to go with the dump of salary ................ its not just about this years draft bro ... u have to have a long term as well as a short term plan .. besides the fact that dumping his salary is HUGE

Hall Of Fame
    I would assume the belief is that the conditional pick would make it worth it. It really depends on what it is.

D'Rob is greatly overpaid, which makes trading him very difficult. In addition, the "bone on bone" condition in his knee also raises red flags with teams. IMO, he will be a June 1st cut.

Man, some of you are awfully slow.

If that conditional pick is a 2nd rounder, then this trade is fantastic.

That conditional pick is the difference here. The Jets will be moving down a few spots in the 4th round, but it may result in an additional 3rd or 2nd rounder. Definitely make that trade. A 3rd or 2nd conditional is more valuable than a 4th and a 5th which Cincy was looking at.

Hall Of Fame
    For what it's worth, this is what Tom Rock had to say, that they're quoting.

Despite a report from the NFL Network this week that said Dewayne Robertson's knee issues would probably preclude him from being drafted if he were coming out this season and speculated that he could have only one or two years left in his career, the Broncos remain interested in acquiring the defensive tackle from the Jets. This according to our old buddy who you may know as A League Source.

Apparently the Jets and Broncs have been working on a deal that would send D-Rob to Denver and have the teams swap fourth-round picks this year. The Jets would also receive a conditional pick (probably a 3rd rounder in 2009 if Robertson hits certain playing time and performance requirements). The Broncos are also taking steps to get Robertson a new contract.

The talks have stopped for the weekend, but will probably pick up on Monday. That's the day the Jets players are expected to show up for their offseason program. List Robertson as "doubtful" for that.
    I guess the belief is that it's worth sliding down 10 picks or so in the 4th round to potentially get a 3rd Rounder in 2009.

Veteran
    Terrible. Just get rid of the moster contract and ill be happy though

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by mangenius View Post
    ummm ... because we'd be getting a possible 2nd,3rd,or 4th rounder next year to go with the dump of salary ................ its not just about this years draft bro ... u have to have a long term as well as a short term plan .. besides the fact that dumping his salary is HUGE
    I got that. But if the real concern is the knee, and he doesn't play or meet the conditions, and we DON'T get that conditional pick, then we gave away draft slots for no reason. That IMHO is a huge gamble and not entirely worth it JUST to dump salary.

Dump the salary, keep the pick. Not sure the risk is worth it.

And I love and know the value of draft picks, now and in the future.

Hall Of Fame
    I got that. But if the real concern is the knee, and he doesn't play or meet the conditions, and we DON'T get that conditional pick, then we gave away draft slots for no reason. That IMHO is a huge gamble and not entirely worth it JUST to dump salary.
    I'm sure worst case the Jets get like a 4th rounder instead of a 3rd rounder in 2009. We're not coming home empty-handed here.

We are not trading a player...We are trading a salary.

This sounds fine to me. Just get rid of him.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Man, some of you are awfully slow.

If that conditional pick is a 2nd rounder, then this trade is fantastic.

That conditional pick is the difference here. The Jets will be moving down a few spots in the 4th round, but it may result in an additional 3rd or 2nd rounder. Definitely make that trade. A 3rd or 2nd conditional is more valuable than a 4th and a 5th which Cincy was looking at.
    I get that. Just unsure of the risk involved.

Would LOVE an extra 2 or 3 in 2009.

Would just hate to give up draft slots for nothing in return.

Of course they aren't... Conditional picks always involve a low and a high end.

Low end is probably something like 5th rounder while high end is something like 3rd rounder.

Hall Of Fame

There is no mention of BB being a scumbag?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsfan1983 View Post
    Of course they aren't... Conditional picks always involve a low and a high end.

Low end is probably something like 5th rounder while high end is something like 3rd rounder.
    Exactly, there's no chance the Jets trade down in the 4th round along with D-Rob without some guarantee of a pick in 2009. What is conditional is what round the pick takes place in.