Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is the worst case scenario for the Jets?

Hall Of Fame

What is the worst case scenario for the Jets?

the top 3 guys the jets are looking at are probably chris long, gholston and mcfadden.

if those 3 are gone, that leaves 2 more guys gone before they pick. if dorsey and jake long are also taken before the jets pick, then who do the jets pick? if this scenario plays out, and they can't trade down, i'm guessing they take the top CB on the board and move on.

All League
    I'm guessing the only person they are targeting is Chris Long. The just invested $20m/4yrs for Jones and with three years left they cannot justify the substantial contract they would have to in order to sign McFadden. Outside of Ryan falling I believe they're looking to trade down. And with the
    1st round now only 10 min long; I would susupect the Jets will have a trade deal in place for the #6 spot. I think after they signed Woody, this was their plan all along was to trade out of the #6 spot.

Hall Of Fame
    I hope not. I'd rather take Rivers or Harvey or Mendenhall rather than the the guys they have rated as the top two CBs. McElvin and Cromartie have been impressive but they are both late big time risers and both from smallish schools. I'm far from certain about them being really good CB's

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    I'm guessing the only person they are targeting is Chris Long. The just invested $20m/4yrs for Jones and with three years left they cannot justify the substantial contract they would have to in order to sign McFadden. Outside of Ryan falling I believe they're looking to trade down. And with the
    1st round now only 10 min long; I would susupect the Jets will have a trade deal in place for the #6 spot. I think after they signed Woody, this was their plan all along was to trade out of the #6 spot.
    I agree that they've planning for a while to trade down. I do hope they trade down and take Mendenhall. Chris Long is going to be a huge reach for The Jets.

Hall Of Fame
    so maybe the worst case scenario, assuming the jets cannot trade back, is that the jets choose from the top CB, ryan and ellis. ellis is too small for their scheme, they probably don't want to take a qb that high and maybe no CB is worthy of that pick.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I hope not. I'd rather take Rivers or Harvey or Mendenhall rather than the the guys they have rated as the top two CBs. McElvin and Cromartie have been impressive but they are both late big time risers and both from smallish schools. I'm far from certain about them being really good CB's
    For a while I have been thinking that if this transpired, I would want them to go BAP CB. But, I really dont want that anymore. I think I would maybe reach on Rivers, possibly Harvey, maybe Mendenhall? I really dont want a RB at #6 unless its DMC.

I really dont know at this point. I have confidence in Tangini when it comes to the draft, they will do the right thing...I hope. I am glad I am not in that position.

Hall Of Fame
    it is a real possibility that there is no obvious choice for the jets at 6, and they are given no other option but to stick to their draft board and take the best CB. truth, if ryan is there they may have a team dealing up a few spots to take him, but again, this is a 'worst case' where no trading is possible.

Practice Squad
    If Gholston, Mcfadden, and Long are gone TRADE!!!!! If we don't have atrad epartner just go WR(Hardy), or CB(Cromartie, or Mckelvin, or Jenkins)

All League
    Harvey, Mendenhall, Merling, Groves, Jenkins, DRC or McKelvin

If Long, Long, Gholston, McFadden and Glenn Dorsey go 1-5 in any order, that would suck.

Quote Originally Posted by Beerfish View Post
    I wouldn't overlook DRC. His coach in college was a former NFL CB. So DRC has been schooled in how to be a big-time CB since day one. With his athleticism and speed, that's a good combination. No wonder he wowed everybody during Senior Bowl practices and was the MVP of the game.

All League
    both Tannebaum and Mangini allow for the time to expire and miss out on their pick. Suddenly teams are rushing to the podium while Tangini sits and smiles.

Woody runs down to yell at them and while he screams and Tannenbaum, Mangini hits him over the head with his chair, rips off his Jets windbreaker to reveal a Patriots windbreaker underneath.

Then Tannenbaum rips off his Jets polo to reveal a "I love Bill Parcells" T-shirt.

They each take turns kicking and hitting Woody, meanwhile the draft is already past the first round.

Then suddenly you hear Chris Berman say, "Wait a minute, I think that is Bill Belichicks music!!"

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    both Tannebaum and Mangini allow for the time to expire and miss out on their pick. Suddenly teams are rushing to the podium while Tangini sits and smiles.

Woody runs down to yell at them and while he screams and Tannenbaum, Mangini hits him over the head with his chair, rips off his Jets windbreaker to reveal a Patriots windbreaker underneath.

Then Tannenbaum rips off his Jets polo to reveal a "I love Bill Parcells" T-shirt.

They each take turns kicking and hitting Woody, meanwhile the draft is already past the first round.

Then suddenly you hear Chris Berman say, "Wait a minute, I think that is Bill Belichicks music!!"
    Now that's a good one.... HILARIOUS!

Undrafted Free Agent
    Honestly i think the worst case would be if we have to pick between Gholston and Mcfadden because that means New England gets the other. As long as one...just one of these guys go top 5 ill be happy. Best case scenerio...we trade down mid round take a guy like Malcolm Kelly or Hardy and get back into the 3rd round or another 2nd...maybe take Flacco.

Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    the top 3 guys the jets are looking at are probably chris long, gholston and mcfadden.

if those 3 are gone, that leaves 2 more guys gone before they pick. if dorsey and jake long are also taken before the jets pick, then who do the jets pick? if this scenario plays out, and they can't trade down, i'm guessing they take the top CB on the board and move on.
    Dont worry they are not taking 2 of them first off the Jets spent 40 million on Pace they have Bryan Thomas locked up also why would they draft Gholston and pay him 40 million plus as a 3rd down situaional pass rusher or a back up LB. I doubt draft Chris Long, they signed Coleman last year traded for Jenkins and still have Ellis. Long isnt even good as a 3-4 DE and again if moved to a OLB position it would be overcrowded in a OLB spot considering the amount of Money paid out.
    I look at the Jets drafting maybe DMC, CB, QB, or WR the Jets private workout of Flacco gives you the indication of what their strategy is. I see them trading backwards if DMC is unavailable and taking Flacco and a WR or CB with the 2nd pick. Or maybe passing on Flacco and taking a CB then WR.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I wouldn't overlook DRC. His coach in college was a former NFL CB. So DRC has been schooled in how to be a big-time CB since day one. With his athleticism and speed, that's a good combination. No wonder he wowed everybody during Senior Bowl practices and was the MVP of the game.
    I'd take that with a grain of salt, his own coach will talk highly of him and guys who are high on him like Deon are not going to down grade the guy. We know for sure that he has good speed and athleticism and he did great at the Senior bowl week. The question is why were people not raving about this guy during the actual college season?

Quote Originally Posted by Eight-Zero NYJ View Post
    Honestly i think the worst case would be if we have to pick between Gholston and Mcfadden because that means New England gets the other. As long as one...just one of these guys go top 5 ill be happy. Best case scenerio...we trade down mid round take a guy like Malcolm Kelly or Hardy and get back into the 3rd round or another 2nd...maybe take Flacco.
    I would be overjoyed if New England took McFadden, seeing as they had the most efficient rushing attack in the league last year and they don't have anyone younger than 65 playing in their back seven. It would be about the worst pick they could possibly make, on par with the Rams drafting Trung Canidate with Marshall Faulk on the roster.

The worst possible scenario that I can see is Vernon Gholston being available and us taking him and paying him $30 million to bench press like a champ and play mediocre football on Sundays. One of the things you want to ask yourself when you take someone high is what the odds are that he's going to be the best player taken at his position. Generally, they're not very good, but in Gholston's case, I think they're lotto odds.

Another not very good scenario is for McFadden, Chris Long and Matt Ryan to be gone and for Glenn Dorsey to be the best player on the board. Maybe the Jets could trade down with Cincy or New Orleans, but it's hard to see the Jets drafting Dorsey and I hate to see them reaching over a better player to select a lesser one.

bandwagon
    I think we're going to take Flacco no matter what. Just a hunch based on two things: (a) we suck at QB (b) his stock's rising and he won't be there in rd 2.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jersey joe View Post
    If Long, Long, Gholston, McFadden and Glenn Dorsey go 1-5 in any order, that would suck.
    The pick at that point is Ryan, Ellis, Mendenhall, McKelvin, DRC, Harvey - i don't know that those options "suck"

Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    Hasn't DRC also been training with Deion Sanders?