Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: GBN: Brohm is Back on the Rise

Banned

GBN: Brohm is Back on the Rise

Great Blue North

One of the more intriguing questions in the run-up to the 2008 draft has been "whatever happened to Louisville QB Brian Brohm?"

It wasn’t all that long ago that Brohm was considered to be a potential top 5-10 pick at this year’s draft, but had been in something of a free-fall in recent weeks.

Indeed, there were rumblings that Brohm could even possibly slip out of this year’s opening round.

Teams like Miami and Atlanta, for example, with big needs at QB but expected to go in other direction with their opening round picks were generally thought to be looking at QBs like Chad Henne of Michigan or Delaware’s Joe Flacco with nary a mention of Brohm, and Brohm’s pro day at Louisville earlier this week got very little national attention.

After a very strong peformance at his on-campus workout, though, Brohm appears to be back.

The 232-pound Brohm reportedly ran a quick 4.6 in the 40 and then reportedly really lit it up during passing drills.

For good measure, Brohm even measured in at almost 6-3.5, a full half inch taller than had been previously thought

During his workout, Brohm threw 60-65 passes in the process showing excellent accuracy and touch as well as plenty of arm strength as he made all the throws.

One scout in attendance reportedly described Brohm's performance as “textbook brilliant”, and that apparently has NFL teams taking notice again.

Brohm, for example, will workout privately for Atlanta, which has the third pick overall, next week, while he has already worked out for Seattle and the Jets and will workout with Tampa Bay later today.

Meanwhile, Brohm also has private meetings scheduled with Baltimore and Minnesota, a pair of teams in dire need of a franchise quarterback which have the 8th and 17th picks respectively next month.
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 03-28-2008 at 03:32 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Good read.

During his workout, Brohm threw 60-65 passes in the process showing excellent accuracy and touch as well as plenty of arm strength as he made all the throws.
    And I still say that those questioning his arm strength are simply being silly.

Hall Of Fame
    I don't think he ever 'fell' to be rising now.

NFL teams aren't stupid and the film speaks for itself when it comes to Brian Brohm. This whole 'might fall to the second round' bull**** that was going around was a media invention IMO.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Ven0m View Post

I don't think he ever 'fell' to be rising now.

NFL teams aren't stupid and the film speaks for itself when it comes to Brian Brohm. This whole 'might fall to the second round' bull**** that was going around was a media invention IMO.
    BULLSEYE!!

I think what you'll start to see now, as we did with these GBN notes, are the Gurus and media outlets who created this "myth" {the incredible Brian Brohm slide} now start to backtrack as the draft approaches, but instead of admitting they were wrong, JUST PLAIN WRONG, they will instead paint it as it is being colored here, Brohm was indeed sliding but now he is rising again, when in my view your thesis is far closer to the truth, that "massive slide" was simply a myth to begin with, QB's/Pocket Passers of this caliber {prolific passer, and at the highest level of college football} don't slide the way Brohm was reportedly sliding, from a projected TOP 5/10 Pick to the 2nd RD
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 03-28-2008 at 11:19 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    BULLSEYE!!

I think what you'll start to see now, as we did with these GBN notes, are the Gurus and media outlets who created this "myth" {the incredible Brian Brohm slide} now start to backtrack as the draft approaches, but instead of admitting they were wrong, JUST PLAIN WRONG, they will instead paint it as it is being colored here, Brohm was indeed sliding but now he is rising again!
    I think a lot of it has to do with breaking down more and more film of the guy from this past season as it gets closer to draft time. The criticism from '06 held over and it's taken some time to bring people around from the improvements he showed in '07. His numbers tell a different story, but I was a big fan of his play down the stretch. He showed a ton of toughness and really settled down in the pocket.

And this is coming from someone who was the leader of the "Brohm is overrated" movement so much as 2 years back, but he really came around on me to finish the year off.

For anyone really not sure about the guy, I implore you to get your hands on footage from the RU-LU game this past year. Anyone who wouldn't want the guy under center in that game as your QB is insane.

All Pro
    I'm one of many people on here who saw this coming a mile away. Never understood why everyone was so high on Ryan and down on Brohm for absolutely no reason.

I forget who said this a couple weeks back...'"in the end, the cream always rises to the top."

You couldn't be more right.

Does ATL pick him at #3?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    I'm one of many people on here who saw this coming a mile away. Never understood why everyone was so high on Ryan and down on Brohm for absolutely no reason.

I forget who said this a couple weeks back...'"in the end, the cream always rises to the top."

You couldn't be more right.

Does ATL pick him at #3?
    That'd be a stretch IMO. But Baltimore at 8, Carolina at 13, Chicago at 14 are all possabilities in my mind.

All League
    That'd be a stretch IMO. But Baltimore at 8, Carolina at 13, Chicago at 14 are all possabilities in my mind.
    if thats the case, maybe chicago or carolina would want to move up ahead of baltimore to take him.

Hall Of Fame
    if the jets cannot trade back, and long, long, gholston and mcfadden are gone, and the jets have brohm rated as, say, the 8th best guy in the draft, while they have cbs rated there too, and say the jets have brohm rated higher than ryan, should the jets take brohm at 6?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post

Good read.

And I still say that those questioning his arm strength are simply being silly.
    Yeah that's another thing I never understood, and you know I'm one of those guys who really looks at arm strength because I believe its a requirement for the Jets at the Meadlowlands, so its something I always take into account and something I take very serious, yet it never occurred too me that Brian Brohm doesn't have enough arm for the Meadows, that thought never crossed my mind, and you know it crosses my mind often!

I'm not saying he has a cannon, he doesn't, its not an Elway/Bradshaw bazooka, but its significantly stronger than, oh say, Matt Leinart's {whom I viewed as NOT having enough arm for the Jets}, and in my view plenty strong enough to make all of the throws at the Meadows .. I also think he throws a nice tight spiral for the most part .. and you can tell he's been well schooled in his drop-back passing mechanics from a young age

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if the jets cannot trade back, and long, long, gholston and mcfadden are gone, and the jets have brohm rated as, say, the 8th best guy in the draft, while they have cbs rated there too, and say the jets have brohm rated higher than ryan, should the jets take brohm at 6?
    If we had Chad Henne rated as the Top QB on the board and weren't happy with our QB situation, I'd be fine with draft him at #6.

Huge reach, I know, but the point is that QB is the one position you can't afford to get too cute with and miss out on the guy you truly want.

Hall Of Fame
    if the one major knock on brohm has been weak arm, and he actually has a good arm, well, then i'd imagine he'd rise fast up draft boards. i have watched him several times and never thought his arm was bad, but i am no scout. if the jets can trade back somehow, get another 2nd rounder and still nab brohm, that could be an ideal scenario.

Banned

If we had Chad Henne rated as the Top QB on the board and weren't happy with our QB situation, I'd be fine with draft him at #6.

Huge reach, I know, but the point is that QB is the one position you can't afford to get too cute with and miss out on the guy you truly want.
    Yeah I'm witcha on that, venom

I understand that there is more to the draft than your own value board, there's also having a feel for the general consensus, so for example if you give a player a 1st RD Grade and you are acutely aware that defies the overall consensus, which gives said player a 2nd or 3rd RD Grade, then I think it makes more sense to play the board the way you would play a dealers hand in blackjack every bit as much as your own, and that would mean trading down or waiting another RD to draft said player

However I'm with you on the QB thing, if there's a place to draw the line and play your own hand at the exclusion of everyone elses, because all it takes is one likeminded GM {On that QB's Grade} and you're screwed if you get too cute, and you can't afford to out-smart yourself out of a QB you really love .. if you like him that much, where you sincerely believe he is well worth the #6 Overall Pick, then have the courage of your convictions and pull the trigger .. that sure beats getting cute and watching that player become a franchise QB elsewhere .. those {QB's} are the kind of mistakes that give GM's recurring nightmares for decades

All League
    Brohm is the QB I want. If the Jets don't land him, I'd be more than happy to have him taking snaps from Olin Kruetz in Chicago.

I'm really not sold on Ryan. I don't want the Jets to draft this kid at #6, especially when that means handing this kid 20M+ for 5-6 years. Trade down and get him, and I'll be a bit more receptive to it, but overall, I just don't feel he's better than Brohm, so I can't be happy with taking a guy I feel is inferior.

I'm tired of these "game manager" types. Now, to be fair, Tom Brady was alos a game manager type his first year under center, but the chains were let off and he's now a great QB. I like the fact that Brohm has a good, strong arm and yet completed a high percentage of passes, and arguably had a better Senior campaign than his Junior year, even after his HC bailed.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP

Yeah I'm witcha on that, venom

I understand that there is more to the draft than your own value board, there's also having a feel for the general consensus, so for example if you give a player a 1st RD Grade and you are acutely aware that defies the overall consensus, which gives said player a 2nd or 3rd RD Grade, then I think it makes more sense to play the board the way you would play a dealers hand in blackjack every bit as much as your own, and that would mean trading down or waiting another RD to draft said player

However I'm with you on the QB thing, if there's a place to draw the line and play your own hand at the exclusion of everyone elses, because all it takes is one likeminded GM {On that QB's Grade} and you're screwed if you get too cute, and you can't afford to out-smart yourself out of a QB you really love .. if you like him that much, where you sincerely believe he is well worth the #6 Overall Pick, then have the courage of your convictions and pull the trigger .. that sure beats getting cute and watching that player become a franchise QB elsewhere .. those {QB's} are the kind of mistakes that give GM's recurring nightmares for decades
    That's a very good point and its in that vein that Ive always viewed the 2003 draft. Bradway and Co. were obviously enamored with Hobson and Askew, but as we did not have a 4th Rd pick, they ended up taking those guys at least one round too early, IMHO. Hobson was not a 2nd rd value, and Askew was not a 3rd value, but because we gave up our 4th rounder to the Bears for D-Rob, our hand was forced, and we ended up taking each guy way too early (even if we had them rated at that spot).

Contrast that with the 06' draft. Its obvious that Tangini loved Clemens, but our high second rounder was admittedly too high to take him....so, we ended up trading back to the end of the round, picked up another 2nd rounder the following year and got Clemens (after moving back up 4-5 spots to ensure we got him).

Text book way to play the draft board.

Hall Of Fame
    so really, how good is brohm, and is he a franchise qb?

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    I think a lot of it has to do with breaking down more and more film of the guy from this past season as it gets closer to draft time. The criticism from '06 held over and it's taken some time to bring people around from the improvements he showed in '07. His numbers tell a different story, but I was a big fan of his play down the stretch. He showed a ton of toughness and really settled down in the pocket.

And this is coming from someone who was the leader of the "Brohm is overrated" movement so much as 2 years back, but he really came around on me to finish the year off.

For anyone really not sure about the guy, I implore you to get your hands on footage from the RU-LU game this past year. Anyone who wouldn't want the guy under center in that game as your QB is insane.
    While they're at it, they can look at the week before when he was miserable..

That being said, Brohm has been mu favorite QB in this class for awhile..

Just don't think the Jets should consider him at 6..

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    I say no, we should take Cromartie, solidify the CB position.

All League
    Only tangentally related, but if I was involved with the Jets FO I would rank the quarterbacks from most favorite to least favorite, and then I would draft the highest available with my remaining pick (hopefully a second first rounder in a trade back but a second rounder would be fine either). It'd be the perfect strategy - if Kellen is the guy then the kid could back up, and if Kellen turns out to be garbage we have another lottery ticket to scratch.

Veteran
    BULLSEYE!!

I think what you'll start to see now, as we did with these GBN notes, are the Gurus and media outlets who created this "myth" {the incredible Brian Brohm slide} now start to backtrack as the draft approaches, but instead of admitting they were wrong, JUST PLAIN WRONG, they will instead paint it as it is being colored here, Brohm was indeed sliding but now he is rising again, when in my view your thesis is far closer to the truth, that "massive slide" was simply a myth to begin with, QB's/Pocket Passers of this caliber {prolific passer, and at the highest level of college football} don't slide the way Brohm was reportedly sliding, from a projected TOP 5/10 Pick to the 2nd RD

Agree with you 100% bro.. I see him being a top 10 pick.. And if atlanta grabs ryan at #3, I see teams like Carolina and Chicago jumping ahead of Baltimore to get him..