Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Belicheat under the microscope at NFL meetings

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

Belicheat under the microscope at NFL meetings

Belichick under scope at NFL meetings
    Sunday, March 30th 2008, 4:00 AM

So many people will be looking at Patriots coach and former genius Bill Belichick this week that he may feel like they are spying on him, of all the crazy things.

I'm surprised Belichick will be at the NFL meetings, which open Sunday in Palm Beach, Fla., considering the SpyGate scandal just won't go away and so much of the discussion this week — in front of Belichick — is going to focus on it.

Roger Goodell has come up with some new policies for the owners to discuss to crack down on cheating.

At least give Belichick credit for showing up for what is going to be an uncomfortable four days for him among the coaches, general managers and owners, some of whom have been critical of him.

Goodell interviewed Belichick only on the phone before he fined him $500,000 in September, and they were in each other's presence just once since then, at the Patriots-Giants game the final weekend of the regular season at Giants Stadium.

Belichick didn't attend the combine last month, so this will be the first time he is among all his peers since SpyGate was uncovered in the season opener last year against the Jets. He's doing the right thing by showing his face and subjecting himself to whatever heat comes his way. Still, I don't anticipate Belichick and Eric Mangini having lunch by the pool or sharing an umbrella on the beach.

One executive from another team who likes Belichick is disgusted by his blatant breaking of the rules by videotaping defensive signals. It didn't start with the Jets game last year — he's been doing it for years — but it probably ended there.

"Wrong is wrong. We are all making a good living in the game we love, in the business we chose. But that's biting the hand that feeds you," the executive said. "When you mess around with Sunday and the credibility of the game, that's terrible. You can't ever hurt the credibility for what Sunday is. If you lose that with the fans, you've lost everything. Cheating is cheating, and in-season cheating takes on a new life."

Belichick's reputation has taken a beating, and it could get worse if the NFL ever works out a deal to speak with former Patriots video assistant Matt Walsh, who is said to have videotape of the Rams' walkthrough the day before the Super Bowl six years ago.

Even if Walsh has nothing, Belichick's three Super Bowl victories are tainted unless it's proven he did not video-spy to help him prepare for those games or spy during the game itself.

And in the Super Bowl loss to the Giants, he was badly outcoached by Tom Coughlin. One coaching source wonders if Tom Brady played his worst Super Bowl because Belichick didn't have the benefit of the information from video spying.

"I like Belichick and I feel bad because the guy is arguably the greatest coach who ever coached," the executive said. "His year is marred by the greatest upset in Super Bowl history coupled by SpyGate. He had arguably the greatest team ever and lost in the Super Bowl. What a crushing blow."

He wonders why Belichick would ever feel the need to cheat.

"We all have a stupid moment," he said. "Hopefully, that was a stupid moment. The guy is great. He doesn't need to do anything. If I'm with him, I say, ‘Why do we need to do that? How much of an advantage are we getting? We got Brady.'"

Last week, league executive VP Ray Anderson said, "Integrity of the game and fair competition is a critical theme for us." Following up a letter from Goodell on March 6, the competition committee will present a plan to make the owners, president, GM and head coach of each team annually certify compliance with the rules and policies.

The league is devising a whistleblower policy for violations to be reported confidentially. And it will likely lower the standard of proof for determining a violation from beyond a reasonable doubt to a preponderance of the evidence.

Belichick, obviously, has had quite an impact on the NFL.

"Bill is not a real likable guy, so it doesn't take much to get people to pile on," the source said. "He just gave people ammunition."

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I thought this was a Jets message board?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan View Post
    So many people will be looking at Patriots coach and former genius Bill Belichick this week
    I'm lovin' it!

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    He was Jet, before he became a cheating scumbag.

Hall Of Fame
    "His year is marred by the greatest upset in Super Bowl history coupled by SpyGate. He had arguably the greatest team ever and lost in the Super Bowl. [U]What a crushing blow."

good

**** him

All League
    Belichick under scope at NFL meetings

And in the Super Bowl loss to the Giants, he was badly outcoached by Tom Coughlin. One coaching source wonders if Tom Brady played his worst Super Bowl because Belichick didn't have the benefit of the information from video spying.

TRUTH

Pretty pathetic, the Patriots cheated and still couldn't win the Super Bowl.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    Bellicheat has lost his edge and any chance of winning another superbowl in his career along with it!!!

Bellicheat's heydey is over and he will never fully recover from this blow to his credibility.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-30-2008 at 10:14 AM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JetsFanatic View Post
    No, what's really pathetic is a team that hasn't even PLAYED in a Super Bowl for the last 39 years.

Now that's pathetic.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Bellicheat has lost his edge and any chance of winning another superbowl in his career along with it.
    Then why are BB and the Pats prohibitive 3:2 favorites to win the Super Bowl in 2008?

BTW, the Jets are 80:1.

All League
    No, what's really pathetic is a team that hasn't even PLAYED in a Super Bowl for the last 39 years.

Now that's pathetic.
    35000 posts on rival message board and not a single original one. Now THAT's pathetic. What a loser!

All League

JetsInsider.com Legend

Now that's pathetic.
    Yes, we heard you the first 35,355 times you echoed this statement.

But it simply doesn't change the fact that your so called "dynasty" was a complete hoax and you've put up two massive choke jobs in the postseason two years in a row now.

'08 Jets > '08 Pats

I suggest you wake up from your fantasy land filled with chocolate castles and cotton candy clouds and just accept it.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Then why are BB and the Pats prohibitive 3:2 favorites to win the Super Bowl in 2008?

Because the oddsmakers need to try and make money like anybody else.

The Pats have no chance of winning the superbowl whatsoever.

I don't care what they do in the regular season they will crumble in the post season (assuming they get there) as they have done the last 4 years straight.

I feel a nice superbowl hangover coming on for the Patricheats.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 03-30-2008 at 10:26 AM.

All Pro

Haha. Bad things happen to bad people.

All Pro

Cheaters

Practice Squad
    I thought it was, but then I see you've made 35,000+ posts so I am not so sure.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post

'08 Jets > '08 Pats
    Ah, more offseason drivel from Jets fans.

Dude, the '08 Jets will be lucky to win 6 games next season.

The Pats will once again sleepwalk to their 6th straight AFCE title.

Your team is still a complete joke in the NFL.

JetsInsider.com Legend

Even if Walsh has nothing, Belichick's three Super Bowl victories are tainted unless it's proven he did not video-spy to help him prepare for those games or spy during the game itself.

Do paragraphs get any more beautiful than that?

Just shows you, that even if this nitwit didnt benefit from spying, just the appearance of impropriety was enough to taint his SB victories.

Doesn't help that in his first opportunity to play in a SB "post-spygate", his first opportunity to put the whispered speculation to rest with a convincing victory, what does he do?

His team looks ordinary in a crushing defeat, and he slinks off the field like a tantrum throwing 4 year old going home with his ball, leaving his stunned team on the field to absorb the enormity of their loss by themselves!

lol

Undrafted Free Agent

Now that's pathetic.
    Dude i dont think you get it, the Patriots are cheaters. Who knows if they would have even won a superbowl without cheating.