Thread: Chauncey Washington of USC just ran under 4.40 at pro-day

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Chauncey Washington of USC just ran under 4.40 at pro-day

this is a kid I'd take a look at in the draft if they trade down and collect a pick in round three...

All League
    Looked great in the Cal game, but besides that wasn't that impressive, especially considering the talent around him. I think round 3 is too high for him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Woody56 View Post
    Looked great in the Cal game, but besides that wasn't that impressive, especially considering the talent around him. I think round 3 is too high for him.
    I got him in Round 7 for the Bills in our GJ&H mock draft.... and these suckers are smart around here when it comes to drafting! It was interesting to see how many good RB's were available after Round 5. It should give us pause at drafting somebody like McFadden at #6...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

He's got great moves as well, very shifty runner

Hall Of Fame
    Sedrick Ellis was apparently just under 300 lbs and ran just over 5 in the 40.

Keith Rivers had a monster pro day with an incredible vertical...(42 I think it was?) and a very fast 40 (4.5 something I think)

The only real impressive RB at the SB as well

I liked Washington and hoped we could sneak in with a pick in the 7th. So much for that idea now !

Very talented HS player who never really put it all together in college.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by HessStation View Post
    The only real impressive RB at the SB as well
    Didn't he play FB after Schmitt went out?

Hey Woddy btw, your sig is pretty sick

All Pro
    What are the chances of the Jets taking that Kid Keith Rivers at #6 if all the big names go as expected and sticking him next to Harris at ILBer.

I don't know what it is,but everytime i see that kid on the football field i think of a young Seau.

All Pro
    Washington was fast today but it's all downhill, not nimble or agile.

nfl.com has Sedrick Ellis running the 40 with his shirt off. The guy is a frickin tank like i've never seen before.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins44 View Post
    Anybody else notice how many U.S.C. backup types ran great 40 times? Also, anyone ever notice how the vast majority of U.S.C. players have refused to run at the Combine in recent years?

Maybe the Trojan's elite prospects catch the same cold each year in Indy?

Or maybe the answer is they run on a rocket fast track....No wonder total draft duds like Mike Williams, Dwayne Jarrett and Reggie Bush refused to run at the Combine -- even a 57 year old former safety like Pete Carrol (who jacked 2 HR's in BP before the Red Sox/Dodgers game last week) can run a sub 5.0 on that track.

Mike Williams ran at the combine and ran well...Jarrett made a huge mistake not running at the combine last year...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Maybe I was wrong bust Williams, but my point is still valid: Looking at the N.F.L.'s official Combine #'s that were sent to me, it seems like most U.S.C.'s top players didn't participate....

They know the deal -- why take a chance at Indy, when they can run on that fast track in L.A, in a party like atmosphere?

????????

I don't know about your official numbers...mine show me that their top guy, Sedrick Ellis, ran...as did Lawrence Jackson, Terrelle Thomas and Chilo Rachal...

Sam Baker was still struggling from a knee/hamstring injury suffered at the Senior Bowl, Rivers had his ankle scoped a few weeks earlier and could not limited in what he could do at the combine...

Fred Davis was the only one who decided not to run based on non-physical reasons and you can see how it cost him...

further- in '07 Steve Smith blazed at the combine like no one expected...

P.S: Jarrett did the right thing not running.....If Bongo's 2007 info was correct, he would've humiliated himself in Indy and really dropped.....Instead, using "a sucker is born everyday" theory Jarrett's agent fooled Carolina into using a 2nd rounder on a WR with the speed of a TE, based on his 4.6-something at Pro Day.
    I love the way people can make the statement that teams, who put millions of $$$ in scouting departments, are fooled by agents into drafting players...I know Jarrett's agent well- he'd be a pretty sh!tty poker player...they also wanted to get another workout in before the draft in NJ...Jarrett nixed the idea...

what you probably don't know is for the longest time USC would run it's forty's on the track just outside Heritage Hall...it was just recently they moved it on to the turf...last year the start of the forty was at one end of the field, at the bottom where the field crowned for drainage purposes....when Jarrett ran his first 8 yards was basically up an incline and everyone told him afterwards, "you shoulda run at the combine"...

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Thanks for the edification. Okay, so U.S.C. has a "slow turf", thanks to drainage issues?

This must explain why a 28 year old, who has been out of football for a few years and had 1 N.F.L. rushing attempt, pounded out a 4.32 in the 40 yard dash?*

Suntan or Sultan should go to the "Elite Combine" in Indy and pound out a 4.1?**

By the way, according to National's sheet, Washington didn't run either in Indy.

* http://tfydraft.com/news.php?newsID=107

**Elite Combine, if any one cares, is a bit of a misnomer.....It's that Combine N.F.L. teams have in Indy for has-beens' and never was', who pay to try out as longshots.....I think the Jets found a preseason body (CB from Georgetown College?) there a few years ago, after he blazed the track.

McCullough also ran a 4.35 prior to the draft- it's not as though he was ever anything but fast...William Green popped off a 42-inch vertical jump (or something near that) at BC's workout a few weeks ago...does than mean the BC track is extra springy????

Chauncey Washington was also hurt moving towards the combine and it was known he would not workout...

The USC pro-day is not like the Miami pro-day was/is when the program would put four, five, six guys into round one....

Miami purposely positions their pro-day three days after the combine so most of their guys do not work out at Indy and scouts literally go from the combine-to-Coral Gables for another mini-combine....

this also gives Hurricane prospects enough time for make-up workouts in case they effed up at the pro-day...

USC is positioned late- and it was done purposely so to help w/recruiting....as has been shown (Jarrett, Jacob Rogers also comes to mind though I've got to check it) if a Trojan player bypasses the combine in favor of pro-day he's taking a huge risk considering the short amount of time to get another workout in...

If Malcolm Kelly is in fact healthy he too could be singing these blues...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    regardless of surface a player at proday runs 4/3 while a player at combine runs on 2/25 or some such date. it's several extra weeks of prep time, which can make a big difference.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    regardless of surface a player at proday runs 4/3 while a player at combine runs on 2/25 or some such date. it's several extra weeks of prep time, which can make a big difference.
    not necessarily…...how many guys run under 4.3 or at the combine versus pro-day????

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

L.A. Times writer basically says U.S.C.'s Pro Day was a farce:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/allt...y-part-de.html

P.S: How about Carroll bellyaching over the fact that his stud lineman might get injured battling a 48 year old coach wearing Cowboy boots and jeans in workouts?
    that article is an absolute joke.....what's his point????

don't know about this guy's history covering the draft or pre-draft related events but my suspicion is it's about as extensive as the amount of days school closed at USC due to snow...

the comparison of forty times is ridiculous considering all the players are timed in the same fashion.....Chauncey Washington was timed the same way Jerry Rice was....

he proves as much here:

These times are a good way to measure the relative speed of athletes who compete on the same day and under the same circumstances, but that might be all they're good for. Chauncey Washington was blazing fast and rightfully improved his draft status, but I don't think he broke any world records.
    equally ridiculous was the analogy of Ledale White...as though somehow white's action prior to the '06 draft justified him being an early pick....
    Last edited by Come Back to NY; 04-04-2008 at 05:13 PM.