Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Tangini needs a great draft per PFT hack.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by lamont_jordan_rules View Post
    ... while i disagree with you views on our beloved franchise i respect your restraint with opposing viewpoints ...

... no ...

... i do EXPECT them to have their 3rd big draft in a row, however ...

... again, i would argue with your blanket statement ...

... there certainly would be a chance of that happening - we all will know a lot more about the mindset of MT & EM and where they see this team heading at the end of the month ...

... i also have difficulty picking out if you are saying 2 more losing seasons, or no stability at qb, or both of these things happening together are what you believe would be what leads to MT & EM's death knell ? ...

... if it happens that they are fired then our team would have made a terrible mistake ... jmo ...

l_j_r
    Let me try and explain to the best of my ability.2 more losing seasons could and should be enough to get them fired,but i don't believe it will.If this team has 2 more losing season,but Clemens or someone else proves to be a QB capable of taking this team to the championship Woody might allow these guys to finish what they started.Without a Championship caliber QB on this roster,these guys will not survive 2 more losing seasons.

Banned
    This entire post is nuts and you are forcing me to get into this conversation in detail again...

Quote Originally Posted by Tinstar View Post
    Alex Smith had 1 decent stat yr in a gimmicky offense and got drafted 1st over all.
    Decent year?

2004 Alex Smith threw for 32 TD's...ran for 10..only threw 3 INT's..completing 67.5% of his passes. I think this is a tad bit better then a "decent year".

2003 he completed 65% Threw for 15 TD's, 5 INT's and ran for 5 as well. This was his "decent year".

That kid wasn't even old enough to shave.He was drafted base on his potential without a body of evidence to support his potential.
    You are making an agrument about a player being drafted on potential? Well...duh!

Without a body of evidence? This statement is absolutely nuts. He accomplished TWICE that of Matt Ryan in his career.

First of all, Alex Smith led Utah to an undefeated season and was the MVP of the their Bowl Game which marked the first time a non-BCS conference team played and won a BCS Bowl Game.

We already talked stats, which blow Ryan's away.

What exactly did Matt Ryan accomplish in his career with BC? NOTHING!!!

Matt Ryan on the other hand has 3 + yrs in a pro style offense and was the unquestioned leader and best player on his team.He is rated where he is due to his potential backed up by a body of evidence.Matt Ryan's stats improved every single yr despite the cast around him declining.

In 05 he got the starting job from a bum. Then he went on to throw a whopping 8 TD's and 5 INT's.

In 06 he threw 15 TD's with 10 INT's. Those numbers are mind boggling.

He is the player that had one good season his senior year and he threw 31 TD's and 19 INT's .....19 INT's R U friggin kidding me. That is horrible. A guy that throws 19 INT's in the ACC . That is absolutely pathetic.

Pay attention to a trend here. The guy throws a lot of picks. 54 TD's and 34 INT's. What the hell do think he will do in the NFL throwing INT's at that rate in the ACC?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Adam Jones and Chris Henry are felons and get into numerous incidents off the field. Henry can't stay clean.

How does McFadden compare to this group?

The only character concerns I've heard regarding McFadden are derived from him possibly getting two girls pregnant and getting into a single scrape at a bar. How are those huge causes for concern? Why should that turn us away from an electric offensive playmaker?

Again, do you really focus in on Brick during games? He's not a mauling force who will constantly drive you off the line but he's actually a very sound run blocker in space. He has also flashed shutdown pass blocking skills. Brick is in no way, shape, or form a bust. As long as he can keep his weight in the 310-315 range we should now be set on the left side. I think you're seriously downplaying the addition of Faneca.

The argument for Robertson doesn't hold much merrit. He had to play next to James Reed for one season, why wasn't he dominating playing alongside the likes of John Abraham, Jason Ferguson, and Shaun Ellis? Where has he been in the 3-4 with solid bookends like Ellis and Coleman holding the fort? Dewayne has been given his fair shake here. He's had 6 years to prove his worth and he simply hasn't lived up to the billing. It's time to move on.

You don't give up on a young LT with the skill and athleticism that Brick possesses in two years time. It's a marquee position.

Even if Ferguson never becomes a franchise LT in the Ogden/Pace mold, as long as he's simply good, he'll be here for the next 10 years.

i agree 100% mcfadden is not a thug he is not involved with gangs and drugs, he apologized for the bar fight and now its over time to move on.
    This is a player who can score from anywhere on the feild, we cant even score in the redzone so i dont think were in a position to pass on him.

Also we have needs at CB,ILB,DE,&OLB but our defense plays good when our offense keeps them off the feild for more than 3 plays and Mcfadden will help make drives longer

and as for D'Brick he hasnt played bad considering who our LG was and he has shown flashes of pro bowl play. Just wait till he has Faneca next to him Brick might make a pro bowl this year

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JiF View Post
    This entire post is nuts and you are forcing me to get into this conversation in detail again...

Decent year?

2004 Alex Smith threw for 32 TD's...ran for 10..only threw 3 INT's..completing 67.5% of his passes. I think this is a tad bit better then a "decent year".

2003 he completed 65% Threw for 15 TD's, 5 INT's and ran for 5 as well. This was his "decent year".

You are making an agrument about a player being drafted on potential? Well...duh!

Without a body of evidence? This statement is absolutely nuts. He accomplished TWICE that of Matt Ryan in his career.

First of all, Alex Smith led Utah to an undefeated season and was the MVP of the their Bowl Game which marked the first time a non-BCS conference team played and won a BCS Bowl Game.

We already talked stats, which blow Ryan's away.

What exactly did Matt Ryan accomplish in his career with BC? NOTHING!!!

In 05 he got the starting job from a bum. Then he went on to throw a whopping 8 TD's and 5 INT's.

In 06 he threw 15 TD's with 10 INT's. Those numbers are mind boggling.

He is the player that had one good season his senior year and he threw 31 TD's and 19 INT's .....19 INT's R U friggin kidding me. That is horrible. A guy that throws 19 INT's in the ACC . That is absolutely pathetic.

Pay attention to a trend here. The guy throws a lot of picks. 54 TD's and 34 INT's. What the hell do think he will do in the NFL throwing INT's at that rate in the ACC?
    What you posted to support you opinion is impressive.
    Here's my reply.
    Every season that Ryan started,his supporting cast got worst.Yet

His Completion % was consistent
    His TD/Int ratio improved
    His yards for the yr improved.

When you are the team,and you are forced to make a play ,sometimes forcing the issue leads to negative results.Give this kid a Receiver he can count on every yr(cotch/hardy)(hint hint) a RB he can count on every yr and decent protection and he will be a star.His last yr,with his least talented team,he had his greatest yr.

The kid is ready and the best part is,we have Clemens/Pennington to give him time to learn our offense.

By the way,doesn't Alex Smith stats look alot like Tim TeBow's.Same HC,Same gimmicky offense.

All Pro
    By the way,doesn't Alex Smith stats look alot like Tim TeBow's.Same HC,Same gimmicky offense.
    Are you comparing Utah to Florida? SEC to the what-ever-the-f*%k conference Utah is in...

Come on man.

Banned
    What you posted to support you opinion is impressive.
    Here's my reply.
    Every season that Ryan started,his supporting cast got worst.Yet

His Completion % was consistent
    His TD/Int ratio improved
    His yards for the yr improved.

When you are the team,and you are forced to make a play ,sometimes forcing the issue leads to negative results.Give this kid a Receiver he can count on every yr(cotch/hardy)(hint hint) a RB he can count on every yr and decent protection and he will be a star.His last yr,with his least talented team,he had his greatest yr.

The kid is ready and the best part is,we have Clemens/Pennington to give him time to learn our offense.

Ouch. Thats a low blow, but I wont take it personally. Thats a whole different debate...lol.

I hear yeah. I wasnt really using Alex Smith in the fashion that him and Ryan are similar players. I actually do believe that Ryan is a better prospect. I was more referring to the allure of a "franchise Qb" in the draft and how sometimes the best overall Qb in the draft isnt really that great and doesnt really warrant a high selection.

I will agree that Ryan worked with limited talent and what he did with it is impressive...sort of like Cutler with Vandy. I just dont think it was enough for me to say that his body of work was impressive enough to warrant the selection. I dont see the amazing talent either.

Thats what is great about the draft. And why it makes for a great debate and why my post count goes through the roof every off season.

All Pro
    You know how much i like Ryan ?

Here's a tidbit for you.He doesn't even compare in my mind to the star i believe Cutler could be.

Cutler has everything Matt Ryan has,and a big Arm.I will never forgive Mangini for allowing this kid to get away.

Cutler's charisma would have put the Jets on par with the Manning Charm the Giants enjoy with Eli.In my mind,Cutler's the better of the 2 players and i have a very high opinion of Eli.You would not believe how high.