Thread: Urlacher upset about contract, no-show at team workouts

Hall Of Fame

Urlacher upset about contract, no-show at team workouts

imagine that, a football thread

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3334424

CHICAGO -- All-Pro linebacker Brian Urlacher says lingering contract issues mean he won't be with the Bears for Monday's start of a voluntary offseason program, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Urlacher said he will remain at his home in Arizona rather than report to team activities outside of Chicago this week. He hinted that he won't be around for any of the Bears' voluntary offseason workouts or organized team activities, the Tribune reported.

Urlacher is looking to extend his current contract. He is signed through the 2011 season and is scheduled to make $3.95 million next year. It is the same salary he made for the 2007 season.

Several Bears have been given contract extensions this offseason, including quarterback Kyle Orton (one year) and tight end Desmond Clark (multiyear).

The Bears cannot fine Urlacher for skipping the sessions, thanks to the NFL's collective bargaining agreement with its players. It can, however, impact his playing time if head coach Lovie Smith decided it should.

it's pretty crazy that D'Rob is slated to make three times as much as Urlacher this season... i'd be pissed off, too

ps -- i was just checking out his profile, and Urlacher is listed at 6'4"-258. is he REALLY that big? he always seemed much smaller to me

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post

it's pretty crazy that D'Rob is slated to make three times as much as Urlacher this season... i'd be pissed off, too

ps -- i was just checking out his profile, and Urlacher is listed at 6'4"-258. is he REALLY that big? he always seemed much smaller to me
    Why is it so crazy?

Drob >>>>>>>>>>>> Urlacher

Banned

Talking

imagine if he requested a trade! we could offer chad for him!

Waterboy
    He should come to the jets then, were handing out big contracts like there hotcakess..

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtisMartin 28 View Post
    Chad and the #6 for Urlacher... nah, we'd be giving up too much

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Knubbs View Post
    He should come to the jets then, were handing out big contracts like there hotcakess..
    He'd be worth, he truly is a beast....

Waterboy
    Thats like trading a used diaper for fort knox it just doesn't happen.

Waterboy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishooked View Post
    He'd be worth, he truly is a beast....
    i believe the Bears are weak at the DT spot so Drob and Chad for Urlacher

omg i would crap myself it that happened.

Banned
    How about we give them 10 million dollars to take Chad away from us?!?!

Oh my God...Chad and the #36 for Urlacher and the Jets could then take either McFadden or Ryan.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    He used to be smaller. Years of training and life in the NFL have bloated him up.

Ill say what I said in an expert's draft right before I drafted a MLB for the Bears - when you are 31 years old there is no such thing as a minor neck surgery. Urlacher is shot.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Knubbs View Post
    Thats like trading a used diaper for fort knox it just doesn't happen.
    Yeah Drob has his career in front of him, Urlacher has his career behind him. Which one is the used diaper? the tackle who will play or the linebacker who is coming off of neck surgery?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bitonti View Post
    Yeah Drob has his career in front of him, Urlacher has his career behind him. Which one is the used diaper? the tackle who will play or the linebacker who is coming off of neck surgery?
    I don't think so. My guess is depending on what type of surgery Urlacher had on his neck would make a huge difference on the time and if it would heal. D-Rob has no cartiledge in his knee, that will never get better. Not to mention D Rob is a very very expensive, ok, defensive linemean.

Now picture this, Jenkins huge body in front of Harris and Urlacher. Thats would probably help our run defense a little.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Crusher you are dreaming dude.

The truth is Urlacher won't get another deal from CHI because they know how much punishment he's put himself through.

this isn't the QB position or even LG - All Pro LB burn out around 30 years of age. Urlacher is 31 and coming off neck surgery. There is no such thing as minor neck surgery. i wouldn't touch this player with a ten footer. 4 years ago I'd be psyched to have him - now he's damaged goods.

All Pro
    Crusher you are dreaming dude.

The truth is Urlacher won't get another deal from CHI because they know how much punishment he's put himself through.

this isn't the QB position or even LG - All Pro LB burn out around 30 years of age. Urlacher is 31 and coming off neck surgery. There is no such thing as minor neck surgery. i wouldn't touch this player with a ten footer. 4 years ago I'd be psyched to have him - now he's damaged goods.

As far as your knowledge of 30 year old linebackers burn out I'll concede that point. Your knowledge of football ways outweighs mine. Though Jr Seau is a bit older than that and had a very impressive AFC championship game.

Neck surgery? This I know quite a bit about actually. I don't do them but I'm the one that decides when therapy isn't enough and it's time to send them to the surgeon. I aslo see them afterwards.

So your right, their are no routine neck surgeries, but their are less invasive ones that people make complete recoveries from. Now NFL middle linebackers aren't your average Joe so Urlacher may be shot, no real way to know until we see him play.

Being right or wrong, I'd rather have a 40 year old Urlacher with Leprosy than D Rob. D Rob has been a absolute drain on this teams cap and has done very little to nothing to warrant that. 3-4 switch didn't help him, but he moves backwards more than a little girl on roller skates trying to walk up a hill.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    at what point did Drob bashing has become a requirement for every thread in the forum?

Rookie

If he is pissed off, talk to his union rep. Complain about the way rookies get paid in this league. Top draft choices get paid too much. This is why teams don't want to move up in the draft. One bad call hurts a team for years.

These are self-inflicted wounds. The players negotiated the deal. Tell gene to put in a rookie salary cap and find another way to distribute the funds when the salary cap goes up every year.

Until then, shut up and go to work. You signed the deal. Nobody had a gun to your head.

All Pro
    at what point did Drob bashing has become a requirement for every thread in the forum?
    I got into this thread after he was already brought up. You just kinda caught me off guard saying Urlacher hasn't been playing well for the last four years. I've seen him play lights out quite a few times in that stretch.

Didn't mean to smash D Rob in front of you, I know thats your boy.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
    I got into this thread after he was already brought up. You just kinda caught me off guard saying Urlacher hasn't been playing well for the last four years. I've seen him play lights out quite a few times in that stretch.
    I didn't say he didn't play well for last 4 years - i said 4 years ago I'd want him. Now he's shot.

Didn't mean to smash D Rob in front of you, I know thats your boy.
    I root for the laundry, it's just not always relevant. The same thing happens with Chad v Kellen. Doesn't matter what we are talking about in this forum, someone will bring up Chad v Kellen, Drob or Bryan Thomas.

Hall Of Fame
    As far as your knowledge of 30 year old linebackers burn out I'll concede that point. Your knowledge of football ways outweighs mine. Though Jr Seau is a bit older than that and had a very impressive AFC championship game.

Crusher, what d you do? I'm in pt now.