Thread: Question

All League

Question

With so many people wanting to draft Mcfadden my question to them is this:

What are you planning to do with Leon Washington?

Because Jones is getting paid good money for the next 2-3 years. Mcfadden will
    command 20-25 million in guarantees. Those two would get all of the carries out of the
    backfield and Washington would become a glorified kick/punt returner.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    easy - keep him as a 3rd down back and PR.

Imagine the following skill positions in the huddle on 3rd down: QB, DMC, Leon, Coles, Cotch, Brad Smith. The Jets could break the huddle and go 4 wide with Leon in the backfield.

The value of DMC is that he can and will play WR. Think about it - assuming Stucky or Davis don't win a job - with his legit 4.3 DMC would be the fastest WR on the Jets. And his notoriusly skinny legs are not a problem when he's split out.
    Last edited by bitonti; 04-09-2008 at 09:23 AM.

All League
    Let me preface this post by stating that I think Leon Washington is a GREAT back, highly underrated as a feature back, with incredible value as a kick returner.

That being said, he has absolutely nothing, not one single iota, to do with drafting DMC. If you can add talent like that to an offense in desperate search of a playmaking threat with SPEED, you do it no matter who is on the roster.

L.Wash will get his time to shine. Don't worry about that. This is a good problem to have.

Hall Of Fame
    I still think he would get some playing time on the field. We always use him in that package with Brad Smith, hes capable of going into the slot for a few snaps and he could still be a nice situational back. Leon only had 70 carries last year, you're telling me we couldn't give him that again because we have McFadden and Jones? I don't agree.

But the primary area of value would be on Special Teams and Depth.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by KRL View Post
    With so many people wanting to draft Mcfadden my question to them is this:

What are you planning to do with Leon Washington?

Because Jones is getting paid good money for the next 2-3 years. Mcfadden will
    command 20-25 million in guarantees. Those two would get all of the carries out of the
    backfield and Washington would become a glorified kick/punt returner.
    don't forget, we just signed jesse chatman too

Veteran
    I don't understand why everyone has a hardon for Mcfadden?? Why? Because he's fast? The guy don't break tackles, or at least NFL type tackles, and he hardly makes any cuts, and he runs too high for the NFL. All I ever saw him do is outrun ppl to the outside. This does not equate to being a top NFL running back. It must be his nickname or ppl just want to have him on Madden or something.
    I don't get it.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky24 View Post
    I don't understand why everyone has a hardon for Mcfadden?? Why? Because he's fast? The guy don't break tackles, or at least NFL type tackles, and he hardly makes any cuts, and he runs too high for the NFL. All I ever saw him do is outrun ppl to the outside. This does not equate to being a top NFL running back. It must be his nickname or ppl just want to have him on Madden or something.
    I don't get it.
    You obviously have never seen him play. The guy ran all over the SEC, breaking NFL type tackles every Saturday.

To answer the question of the thread. I want Leon to retire a Jet, thats how much I love the guy.

But, TJ is old and overrated. We need a replacement. Talent like McFadden doesnt come around often. Leon has no baring whatsoever on draft DMC.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JiF View Post
    You obviously have never seen him play. The guy ran all over the SEC, breaking NFL type tackles every Saturday.

To answer the question of the thread. I want Leon to retire a Jet, thats how much I love the guy.

But, TJ is old and overrated. We need a replacement. Talent like McFadden doesnt come around often. Leon has no baring whatsoever on draft DMC.
    I actually did see him play a few times. But saying all that... I hope if we do take him he proves me wrong as he runs all over the place. But I really don't see it. Between Leon and Brad Smith, I think we have everything Mcfadden would give us.

All League
    I actually did see him play a few times. But saying all that... I hope if we do take him he proves me wrong as he runs all over the place. But I really don't see it. Between Leon and Brad Smith, I think we have everything Mcfadden would give us.
    You didn't just compare DMC to Brad Smith...did you....b/c he is WAY better than Brad Smith. He's got a better arm, is faster, and much more dangerous than Brad Smith will ever be.

But Brad Smith is a perfect example. His gig is up, b/c even though the Jets always threaten to use his arm, they never do. DMC has the type of Arm and speed, where that threat is very real for the opposing team.

Veteran
    Wow, this DMC kid must be something. A running back, a wide receiver, and a QB. 3 in 1. Amazing!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I don't think it's a big deal.

The majority of us don't think of Leon as a starter. He's an explosive change of pace back and return man. Besides, Jones will only be here for another year or two. Leon will most likely be here for the long haul.

A future combo of DMC and Leon could be a two headed beast in the backfield. Both guys are threats to score everytime the ball is in their hands.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    I don't think it's a big deal.

The majority of us don't think of Leon as a starter. He's an explosive change of pace back and return man. Besides, Jones will only be here for another year or two. Leon will most likely be here for the long haul.

A future combo of DMC and Leon could be a two headed beast in the backfield. Both guys are threats to score everytime the ball is in their hands.
    Big lightning and little lightning.

Banned
    I wasnt trying to be insulting...but alot of people are formulating opinoins of DMC from watching highlight films and not game film. I have seen almost every single game in his career.

Leon and Brad Smith combined, dont come close to what Darren McFadden can provde.

How many TD's did they account for (not including Leon in the KR game)...not many. Darren would triple that...sh!t throw in the KR's and he still might triple it.

Sad part is...that's like a total of 9 TD's

All Pro
    Leon would take on a role similar to the one Darren Sproles has in SD.

He's our PR/KR and gets a few carries a game. The difference between Leon and Sproles is, Leon provides depth at RB where Sproles isn't going to be a #2 RB because he's too tiny.

Leon can get 10 touches a game through KR/PR and spot duty at RB. I'm fine with that scenario for 2 seasons until we unload TJ.