Thread: Miami negotiating with Jake Long

Miami negotiating with Jake Long

I can't beleive the Draft Forum was scooped by the Landing Strip on this one !

http://www.miamiherald.com/614/story/489210.html

Posted on Wed, Apr. 09, 2008
    Dolphins negotiating for Jake Long as No. 1 pick
    BY JEFF DARLINGTON

The Miami Dolphins could soon be off the clock.

The Dolphins have formally begun contract negotiations with agent Tom Condon about the prospect of selecting former Michigan offensive tackle Jake Long as the first overall selection in this year's draft.

Condon, who also represents Boston College quarterback Matt Ryan, was in South Florida early this week to negotiate specifically on behalf of Long at the request of the team, The Miami Herald has learned.

The Dolphins would like to have a contract in place with their first pick before the draft on April 26, which would allow them to avoid a potentially ugly holdout like the one that took place in Oakland last year upon the Raiders' selection of quarterback JaMarcus Russell.

Miami is still intrigued by Virginia defensive end Chris Long, but no in-person talks between Chris Long's agent and Miami are believed to have taken place to date. However, the Dolphins are believed to be happy with quarterback John Beck, and they are not considering Ryan as an option with the first pick.

The latest meeting between Condon and the team doesn't necessarily mean the Dolphins have made their final decision to select Jake Long over Chris Long, but it is certainly a major step in that direction.

By selecting Jake Long, the Dolphins would fill a gaping hole along their offensive line. Vernon Carey is currently slated as the starter at left tackle, but selecting Jake Long would potentially allow the team to move Carey back to his more natural position on the right side of the line.

As several have mentioned here, it would be in Miami's best interest to negotiate with 3 or 4 of the top picks and see who they can sign to a good deal before draft day. I'd be surprised if Jake Long were the only one they are talking with. But at least we know he may be in play for the #1 spot.

All League
    Pretty sure Chris Long and Vernon Gholston agents will also get a call soon

All Pro
    great news.

Veteran
    what would this mean for picks 2-5...draft experts?

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by JetJoe622 View Post
    what would this mean for picks 2-5...draft experts?
    I'm no expert, but look at my 4 round mock...things could work out that way.

Veteran
    i see the top six falling out like this now

1-Miami-J. Long
    2-ST. Louis-Glenn Dorsey
    3-Atlanta-Matt Ryan
    4-Oakland-C. Long
    5-Kansas City- Vernon Gholston
    6-NY Jets- DMC

All League
    I think there was an blurb about the Fins lack of negotiating with the top picks in PFW or PFT. I'm thinking PFT....

It said something about most NFL teams being in the top spot working out a contract in the event the team selects them. Since there was no mention from the agents on a deal being worked out, it made it much harder for teams to guage where the Fins interest lie.

Now we can get a better idea....

All League
    1. long

2. ghoulston

3. ryan

4. mcfadden

5. long

6. ??? dorsey/ mckelvin/ cromartie/ trade out

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by DBAKE View Post
    1. long

2. ghoulston

3. ryan

4. mcfadden

5. long

6. ??? dorsey/ mckelvin/ cromartie/ trade out
    I don't see any way Al passes on Howie's son.

If Jake Long does go #1 (and it's still preliminary at this point) there could be some interesting implictions for the Jets.

With the top OL off the board, does KC reach for thier biggest need (OL) and take the #2 guy (Clady / Albert). And then do teams later in the first who were counting on getting an OL (Denver, Carolina, Chicago, Houston, Pittsburgh) start to get nervous ? Remember NE might be in the market for an OL as well.

Even in a deep draft for OL there's only so many quality guys to go around. Especially for those teams looking for a LT.

So could the Jets get a sweet offer to trade picks from somebody desperate to land a great OT ?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    If Jake Long does go #1 (and it's still preliminary at this point) there could be some interesting implictions for the Jets.

With the top OL off the board, does KC reach for thier biggest need (OL) and take the #2 guy (Clady / Albert). And then do teams later in the first who were counting on getting an OL (Denver, Carolina, Chicago, Houston, Pittsburgh) start to get nervous ? Remember NE might be in the market for an OL as well.

Even in a deep draft for OL there's only so many quality guys to go around. Especially for those teams looking for a LT.

So could the Jets get a sweet offer to trade picks from somebody desperate to land a great OT ?
    The way I see it, Carolina and/or Chicago could go either way and draft a RB.

Carolina reupped their Tackles, so they could pass and draft Mendenhall which is what I see on some mocks. I've got to believe that Otah and/or Williams will both be there at 13 when Carolina picks. I don't see any panic.

I think moving up from 13/14 to #6 just might be too much, and as cheap as the Bears organization is, with money and picks, I doubt they trade up that far. They rarely trade up to begin with.

It doesn't shake things up all that much. Glenn Dorsey or Chris Long go second, the guy who didn't end up in St. Louis goes to Atlanta, Oakland chooses between two guys they don't need in Gholston and McFadden or the guy they do need in Sedrick Ellis, and then Kansas City can either take Matt Ryan or take an offensive lineman. Maybe it opens up the fifth pick to more trade talk should the Pats want to jump us for Gholston, but that's about it.

Veteran
    It could also be a ploy to get one of the teams in 2-5 range targeting Long to trade up

1. Dolphins: Long
    2. St. Louis: Long
    3. Atlanta: Dorsey
    4. Oakland: McFadden/Gholston
    5. Kansas City: Matt Ryan
    6. NY Jets: Gholston/McFadden/McKelvin (whoever is the top prospect left)