Thread: TOP 6 picks in NFL DRAFT taking shape

All League

TOP 6 picks in NFL DRAFT taking shape

I'd say, right now, based on numerous reports, and logic, that it is pretty clear what the TOP 6 will look like:

1. MIA - Jake Long (I think the Oline coach Sparano wins this argument)

2. STL - Chris Long (STL takes whichever Long is left)

3. ATL - G. Dorsey (a cog for their emerging defense)

4. OAK - V.Gholston (Al Davis is enamored with athletic prowess)

5. KC - Matt Ryan (Herm will look like he won the superbowl)

6. NYJ - DMC (like it or not, it's coming to broadway and I can't wait!)

Apparently, we are going to go defense if we get a RB in the draft. You never know either, if the Jets like Jonathan Stewart as reported, maybe they slide back a few picks and take him at 10 or so. (NO would jump up for S.Ellis).

I can't wait for the draft.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by One Eye View Post
    I'd say, right now, based on numerous reports, and logic, that it is pretty clear what the TOP 6 will look like:

Apparently, we are going to go defense if we get a RB in the draft. You never know either, if the Jets like Jonathan Stewart as reported, maybe they slide back a few picks and take him at 10 or so. (NO would jump up for S.Ellis).

i heard kiffin say no sirius that RB was not a need, so all this considered i hink DMC will at least be there for the traking at 6....

It was mentioned by Cimini in today's Daily News that the Jets have already discussed with a team about trading down. I pray it happens and we do not take McFadden.

Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    i heard kiffin say no sirius that RB was not a need, so all this considered i hink DMC will at least be there for the traking at 6....

You can't believe anything anyone says this close to the draft. Last year Kiffin said he envisioned R Moss being a Raider . Boom than hes traded to the Patriots.

Now that the Round 1 Interval is at 10 minutes, as opposed to 15 minutes in previous years, I really think teams are lining up trading up/trading down scenarios, and probably having discussions with other teams about the parameters of possible trades.

A 33% drop in the time alotted really cuts down the opportunity to evaluate multiple trade scenarios.

If I am the JETS, I want to know who is interested in TRADING UP if Dorsey, Ellis, Ryan, DMC, etc is still on the board.

Hall Of Fame
    if miami takes gholston, the jets are in the worst possible spot. they will lose out on gholston and mcfadden, and likely, ryan and dorsey won't be there for entice teams to trade up. the jets will be faced with the dilemma of taking need vs. value and unless they're able to trade back, this draft may not produce the impact player the jets desparately need.

If Parcells really has a big hand in this draft, I don't see him draft Jake Long number 1. Reasoning behind that is he could have drafted O Pace when he was coach of the Jets and he traded down. If you look at Parcells drafts, it's Defensive all the way(except Bledsoe in 93') I see MIA drafting C Long, Vernon or trading down if anybody really wants that spot.

JetsInsider.com Legend

If that's how the first 5 shake out you HAVE to take DMC at 6. I'm not a huge DMC fan but with Long, Long, Gholston and Ryan gone he is the BPA and you have to take him.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by augustiniak View Post
    if miami takes gholston, the jets are in the worst possible spot. they will lose out on gholston and mcfadden, and likely, ryan and dorsey won't be there for entice teams to trade up. the jets will be faced with the dilemma of taking need vs. value and unless they're able to trade back, this draft may not produce the impact player the jets desparately need.
    really?? ever hear of a guy named Chris Long??

Phins - Gholston
    Rams - Jake Long
    Falcons - Ryan
    Raiders - DMC/Chris Long/Dorsey
    Chiefs - Clady
    Jets - DMC/Chris Long -- true impact players

I see this as the best possible scenario...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by estang74 View Post
    If Parcells really has a big hand in this draft, I don't see him draft Jake Long number 1. Reasoning behind that is he could have drafted O Pace when he was coach of the Jets and he traded down. If you look at Parcells drafts, it's Defensive all the way(except Bledsoe in 93') I see MIA drafting C Long, Vernon or trading down if anybody really wants that spot.
    Good point but I think if he's stuck with the #1 pick he'll take Jake Long. He'd like to trade down in this draft just like he did in 97 to take James Farrior. Had Parcells been unable to trade down that year he may have taken Orlando Pace.

Jake Long is the most sure thing in this draft and Miami has a need on O-line. Thus, if they stay at #1 I think the LT from Michigan is the guy!

Hall Of Fame
    This is true but a couple of things to consider.

- The new coach is an o-line guy
    - Past behaviour doesn't always indicate future behaviour, the 1st year or so with Dallas they had some bad o-line problems. Parcells might have changed his thinking a bit unless he is sure that Gholston or Chris Long is an absolute impact guy.

Hall Of Fame
    if miami takes gholston, the rams may take chris long. this scenario hurts the jets, as the raiders would then likely take mcfadden. if the rams go with jake and the falcons go with dorsey the jets should be ok. i don't like miami taking gholston.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    If that's how the first 5 shake out you HAVE to take DMC at 6. I'm not a huge DMC fan but with Long, Long, Gholston and Ryan gone he is the BPA and you have to take him.
    I couldn't agree more. YOu know, alot of things have come out about Reggie Bush and comparisons to him.

I, for one, think the Saints don't regret taking Bush for one minute. he may not score like they envisioned, or even be the RB they thought, but you can't deny that defenses have to plan every snap around him. You don't want to lose sight of Reggie.

I think DMC can be 10x better. He has more speed, is a legit threat to throw the ball, and was UNTOUCHABLE in the SEC. Alot has been said that DMC just runs by people, and he won't do that in the NFL. Well, guys, nobody, and I mean nobody, dominated the SEC like DMC did. He may very well get touched in the NFL, but that doesn't mean he will be stopped.

Veteran
    I couldn't agree more. YOu know, alot of things have come out about Reggie Bush and comparisons to him.

I, for one, think the Saints don't regret taking Bush for one minute. he may not score like they envisioned, or even be the RB they thought, but you can't deny that defenses have to plan every snap around him. You don't want to lose sight of Reggie.

I think DMC can be 10x better. He has more speed, is a legit threat to throw the ball, and was UNTOUCHABLE in the SEC. Alot has been said that DMC just runs by people, and he won't do that in the NFL. Well, guys, nobody, and I mean nobody, dominated the SEC like DMC did. He may very well get touched in the NFL, but that doesn't mean he will be stopped.
    the problem is DMC really doesnt compare to reggie at all.

reggie bush is more of a 3rd down back, east to west type player
    DMC was a complete workhorse for arkansas proved he can run up the middle, doesnt do much dancing and runs north and south

he may not be as good as Adrian Peterson but he compares to AP much more than Reggie Bush

All Pro
    DMC does not equal Reggie Bush
    DMC does not equal Adrian Peterson

All 3 are different backs, different playing styles. Reggie Bush and McFadden are very different players, different sizes, played at different conferences. Stop making the damn comparison between the two. The only thing they share is that they both were regarded as the best RBs entering their respective drafts.

Adrian Peterson was a better college prospect than McFadden. He dropped because of injury concerns. Other than that, he was and is one of the top RB prospects to come out of college. He cuts on a dime, has breakaway speed, and has a good build to power through tackles. McFadden has breakaway speed, is fluid in changing direction but doesn't cut that much. He has some questions about his legs, but you guys emphasize and exaggerate that point to no end.

I think you're jumping the gun a bit. As per a thread on the Landing Strip, Miami is in negotiations with Gholston as well. So who knows how the first pick will fall out ?

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=167274

Hall Of Fame
    and how did that work out? i bet if he could go back in time right now he takes pace no questions asked...

also i dont think the jets are trading down...why? because i dont think anyone wants to trade up. this draft is not very top heavy and if i was a team between 15-25 thats exactly where i would stay...and have a shot to make out as well as a team in the top 10.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by NYJets69 View Post
    the problem is DMC really doesnt compare to reggie at all.

reggie bush is more of a 3rd down back, east to west type player
    DMC was a complete workhorse for arkansas proved he can run up the middle, doesnt do much dancing and runs north and south

he may not be as good as Adrian Peterson but he compares to AP much more than Reggie Bush
    I may have been misunderstood. I simply meant when comparing Reggie to DMC that they are both threats the defense has to gameplan around. Thats it. I understand that they are completely diff backs. However, they will be used in similar ways, except DMC will get more traditional RB carries than Bush.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I think you're jumping the gun a bit. As per a thread on the Landing Strip, Miami is in negotiations with Gholston as well. So who knows how the first pick will fall out ?

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=167274
    I understand completely. But I will be shocked if GHOLSTON is the #1 overall pick. Absolutely shocked. No way they take that risk with more secure players in the LONGs on the board.