Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: Getting Engaged/Married

Practice Squad

OT: Getting Engaged/Married

I'd like to start off by saying hi to everybody. I've been MIA for quite a while. I'm on the board whenever I can, but between graduating from the university last year and working full-time for Dell, I haven't had a chance to frequent this place, as I should. In the past I have come to JI for advise from you fine people, and I can honestly say that the advise I receive from all of you is top notch. Anyway, back to the topic at hand.

So, I'm getting engaged/married, and I'm scared poopless (trying to watch my language) I've known my "soon-to-be" since I was a sophmore in highschool, and I absolutely love her, obviously. Now, as this might come as a shock to everyone, I'm only 23, and she is 22. Now, one might say, "are you effing kidding me? You guy's are only kids?" Or the famous, "don't throw your life away?" Whichever way you cut it, I've heard them all.

Personally, I have had a fortunate life, and I have lived life to the fullest. I've traveleld the world, I've receieved a great education, I partied my face off in college, dated several women, made my share of mistakes, and last but not least I have my health. Which brings me to the conclusion: why the hell not?

I have a pretty good job for just graduating last year, I'm definitely making progress. We've been serious for about a year now, and I've known her about 8 years. She's my best friend and I'm completely in love with her. Now, the reason for this post is not to ask for y'all's opinion on whether or not I should marry this broad, but the reason for this post is to ask for some input on how to go about asking her father's permission, getting the right engagement ring, planning my life around this situtation, etc, etc.

Now, I could ask my parents for their advise, but they would just get in the way and probably end up fighting about what I should do, plus they live in another city/country so it's a pain in the ass to ever get their undivided attention. So who could I ask? I ask my fellow Jets fans. I know your advise will be unbiased and honest. I appreciate your time and hlep with this matter. I look forward to talking to y'all (excuse the y'all; it's rubbed off on me living in Texas most of my life) more and getting to know all of you better....Oh, and by the way. SAR, please don't ask to see a picture of my girl .....

-Alex
    Last edited by JetFanTX; 04-15-2008 at 05:45 PM.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Congratulations. Good luck to you and the Mrs.

All Pro
    Take him golfing, fishing, whatever he likes to do and just flat out tell him that you are marrying his daughter and that you would like his blessing.

...1 carat minimum.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

best read that divorce thread that went on for months on end first bro.....

All League
    My dell is going slowww as hell. What should I do?

All Pro
    Don't marry a hot, superficial women with huge fake breasts. Thats really all I have to offer in this department.

Jets Insider VIP
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Charter JI Member

btw- congratulations.....on the best avatar on this forum

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    best read that divorce thread that went on for months on end first bro.....
    I definitely followed that thread for a while. Pretty rough..Thanks for the heads up.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    Don't marry a hot, superficial women with huge fake breasts. Thats really all I have to offer in this department.
    She's quite the opposite, except for the hot part. You got that dead on.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Take him to a strip club and buy him a lap dance. Any guy will say yes to anything when there's boobies in his face.

All League
    No advice without pics.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Bullitt245 View Post
    My dell is going slowww as hell. What should I do?
    Buy a Mac....LoL. I work for Online Sales Solutions, not Tech Support. Haha.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by Come Back to NY View Post
    btw- congratulations.....on the best avatar on this forum
    Ramble On...

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    At least not the first time.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Go for it! Open up to her father and tell him why you want to marry his daughter. It might be an easier conversation than you expect.

And don't worry about your age. If you've known her since high school (since roughly 16 years old) and have already experienced some ups and downs, traveled, dating different girls and gotten through college then you guys are probably ready. I got married at 25 after dating my wife since we were college sophomores (19). When you've been with a girl exclusively for a while marriage is basically dating but with rings on your fingers. It wasn't a major change for us. Now, having kids...that's a whole other life change!

Oh, and 3 months gross salary is standard metric for what to spend on an engagement ring.
    Last edited by jetstream23; 04-15-2008 at 05:55 PM.

All Pro
    The key is marrying your best friend. Sounds corny, but that really is it. First time I married the ****ing devil. I would have been better off throwing myslef in front of a bus. The second time, I was older and wiser, and married the absolutely perfect person for me.

At your age it may be hard to know who you are, or who she is, but if you guys share yourselfs openly and honestly you have as good a shot as anyone to be happy. Might want to check her head for horns first.

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    Go for it! Open up to her father and tell him why you want to marry his daughter. It might be an easier conversation than you expect.

And don't worry about your age. If you've known her since high school (since roughly 16 years old) and have already experienced some ups and downs, traveled, dating different girls and gotten through college then you guys are probably ready. I got married at 25 after dating my wife since we were college sophomores (19). When you've been with a girl exclusively for a while marriage is basically dating but with rings on your fingers. It wasn't a major change for us. Now, having kids...that's a whole other life change!

Oh, and 3 months gross salary is standard metric for what to spend on an engagement ring.

Jetstream,

Thanks for the advice. Your post definitely put some worthwhile perspective on the situation. 3 months gross salary for the ring, eh? I'll have to really think about that

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post
    The key is marrying your best friend. Sounds corny, but that really is it. First time I married the ****ing devil. I would have been better off throwing myslef in front of a bus. The second time, I was older and wiser, and married the absolutely perfect person for me.

At your age it may be hard to know who you are, or who she is, but if you guys share yourselfs openly and honestly you have as good a shot as anyone to be happy. Might want to check her head for horns first.
    That's the thing; I've known her for so long, and I have seen all of her bullshyte, and have seen her go through every typical phase that it makes me think, "If I haven't gotten sick of her now, then we have a pretty good chance." Thanks, Crusher...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JetFanTX View Post
    Jetstream,

Thanks for the advice. Your post definitely put some worthwhile perspective on the situation. 3 months gross salary for the ring, eh? I'll have to really think about that
    Be glad you're doing it right out of college and not in 5 or 10 years when you're making some serious coin! My wife told me if I were to engage her now she'd expect a 5 table ring (meaning a diamond ring that would be noticed 5 tables away at a restaurant)...and she's already got almost 1.5 carats of colorless on her finger.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by The Crusher View Post

Bingo. And make sure she loves football!