Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 24

Thread: Conclusions from day 1

  1. #1

    Conclusions from day 1

    1) Tannenbaum and Mangini are comfortable with Clemens / Chad

    No QB was taken today. Maybe a guy will be picked on day 2 but there are no challengers to the established guys.


    2) Jets wanted to get athletic impact players on O and D

    picked two of the best testing guys at the combine


    3) defense is close to a Super Unit on our front 7

    Harris, Pace, Gholston, Thomas, Jenkins. If these guys play up to their potential our defense will be MUCH improved. Especially in putting heat on the QB.


    4) Mangini values guys who are versatile

    Both Gholston (OLB, ILB, DE) and Keller (H-Back, slot, split wide, TE) will be moved around a lot and play several positions.


    5) WR class this year was very weak

    No WR in the first round - that never happens.
    Last edited by lageman4ever; 04-26-2008 at 09:09 PM.

  2. #2
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Posts
    20,936
    Good post...Agreed 100%

  3. #3
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Jerseystrong
    Posts
    19,005
    Flacco was taken in the first.

  4. #4
    Lageman, you know I like your thinking around here. Your post is a positive way to look at today. Sorry but I cant say the same for myself. I am not a rant and rave type of poster but I question what went down today. I would like today alot better if we traded down from six and got any one of Harvey/Rivers/ Clady/ Otah/Williams/ Mayo any of the CBs/ or Merling plus a third rounder.

    As far as Keller goes, I am sure he is athletic and a good player but did we really need to trade up when there were so many good players on the board at the time? There was a good chance he would have been there and if not we had so many other picks that would have filled pressing needs.

    If we would have traded down from six and regained a pick and then traded up for Keller I could acept it much better.

    I hope Gholston is all that because IMHO the WORST thing that a pro athlete could have as a label is that he has a bad work ethic/lazy and doesnt care. Gholston already has been labeled as lazy and he is in college.

    Today could have easilybeen much better..........
    Last edited by copernicus; 04-26-2008 at 09:16 PM.

  5. #5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruby2 View Post
    Flacco was taken in the first.
    I've been beating his drum since December. I KNEW somebody would trade up in the end of the 1st to get him. His upside is just tremendous.

    I just hope he doesn't have to start too soon in Baltimore. They don't really have anybody ahead of him. And Flacco does need the time to develop his game.

  6. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post

    As far as Keller goes, I am sure he is athletic and a ood player but did we really need to trade up when there were so many good players on the board at the time? There was a good chance he would have been there and if not we had so many other picks that would have filled pressing needs.

    I think the trade up for Keller is a legitimate concern. I will say a few things in support of the deal though:

    1) a first rounder signs for 5 years, second rounder for 4. So the Jets got an extra year on the rookie contract by trading up

    2) the Giants very well could have taken him. They are shopping Shockey and Keller, as a pass-catching TE, would have been his perfect replacement

    3) the cost was only a 4th rounder - not that tremendous in the grand scheme of things

    4) I think when people see him play they are going to forget all of the draft day concerns. Keller is going to do very well for the Jets. Schotty knows how to use an athletic TE since he worked with Gates in San Diego. So expect the Jets to quickly get the most out of Keller's abilities.

  7. #7
    With Brohm and Henne getting pushed down like this, that means there is going to be great value at quarterback in the fourth and fifth rounds.

    Not only is Dustin Keller a better player than the wide receivers, he works much better with this set of quarterbacks than another receiver would have. It's a tremendous addition when you consider Pennington's range issues and the fact that shorter quarterbacks basically require a tight end target to be successful. The Jets desperately needed someone who could open up the middle of the field for underneath throws and for the running game. If you don't trust your quarterback to beat eight in the box by making throws outside the hashes, you need someone who can attack up the seam.

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I think the trade up for Keller is a legitimate concern. I will say a few things in support of the deal though:

    1) a first rounder signs for 5 years, second rounder for 4. So the Jets got an extra year on the rookie contract by trading up

    2) the Giants very well could have taken him. They are shopping Shockey and Keller, as a pass-catching TE, would have been his perfect replacement

    3) the cost was only a 4th rounder - not that tremendous in the grand scheme of things

    4) I think when people see him play they are going to forget all of the draft day concerns. Keller is going to do very well for the Jets. Schotty knows how to use an athletic TE since he worked with Gates in San Diego. So expect the Jets to quickly get the most out of Keller's abilities.
    You make sense Lageman. Just hate giving p picks when it was easy to trade down from 6..........

  9. #9
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    2,688
    I am starting to warm to Keller, it was just a surprise pick. Keller reminds me of V. Jackson from San Diego.

  10. #10
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Elizabeth
    Posts
    1,443
    it was a good day

  11. #11
    Practice Squad
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    289
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    You make sense Lageman. Just hate giving p picks when it was easy to trade down from 6..........
    This is my main concern. You always hear the adage that success in the NFL is attained by building through the draft. I love Revis and Harris, but last year we had a thin in volume draft.

    Because of the Jenkins trade, we didn't have a surplus of picks to give away this year. That will be two years in a row we have a thin draft.

    This point of view has nothing to do with Keller as a player. He might end up being a unique and dynamic mismatch on a side of the ball where we desperately need it. But with a lot of good players at positions of need still on the board, moving up hardly seems justified.

  12. #12
    Quote Originally Posted by jr420x View Post
    it was a good day
    good day, not great, but good. A lot of question marks for me

  13. #13
    All League
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    3,928
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    Lageman, you know I like your thinking around here. Your post is a positive way to look at today. Sorry but I cant say the same for myself. I am not a rant and rave type of poster but I question what went down today. I would like today alot better if we traded down from six and got any one of Harvey/Rivers/ Clady/ Otah/Williams/ Mayo any of the CBs/ or Merling plus a third rounder.

    As far as Keller goes, I am sure he is athletic and a good player but did we really need to trade up when there were so many good players on the board at the time? There was a good chance he would have been there and if not we had so many other picks that would have filled pressing needs.

    If we would have traded down from six and regained a pick and then traded up for Keller I could acept it much better.

    I hope Gholston is all that because IMHO the WORST thing that a pro athlete could have as a label is that he has a bad work ethic/lazy and doesnt care. Gholston already has been labeled as lazy and he is in college.

    Today could have easilybeen much better..........
    copernicus - i have to believe that tannenbaum and mangini were pretty focused on gholstons work ethic and i am sure they questioned him on it. i can bet that this guy will come to the ota ready to go and come into camp the same way. this is the nfl...he will not be allowed to take plays off...mangini will make sure he gets that message, i can feel comfortable believing that

  14. #14
    All Pro
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Murray Hill
    Posts
    7,843
    My thoughts:

    I think Keller is another weapon which our offense needed. I think this pick is banking a lot on Chansi Stuckey's ability to play the slot. Chansi looked amazing last pre-season and he could catch 40-50 balls this year. The initial sting from the Keller picked has dulled a bit after looking at how the rest of the picks went down. Those wideouts were way overvalued by everyone as the teams clearly saw it as a weak class.

    I really would've loved to get Kentwan Balmer who went at 29 and we picked Keller at 30. We might have been able to get to 28 with our better 4th round pick. Ellis and Coleman need to get pushed and we have no DE depth.

    It's going to take me awhile to get over missing out on DMC, I'm trying not to think about the KC game (its hard though). What makes it especially bad is that he really shouldn't have gone to Oakland. If Al Davis wasn't so crazy the smart thing to do for them was to take Glen Dorsey. Any other team at 4 in that situation and DMC is a Jet. Though it def could've been worse and we should feel lucky that Vernon was still there. I am convinced that NE would've swooped on him if we passed. But DMC is going to waste away until Al Davis dies and that team gets an O-line.


    Lots of questions for sure. This is a boom/bust draft class. We could look back 5 years from now and say we had the best draft of all 32 teams but there's definitely a lot of trepidation as Gholsten is a HUGE investment with a huge question marks.

  15. #15
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Apr 2003
    Posts
    10,495
    Fundamental problem for the jets this draft:

    their biggest needs are on offense, but the draft is very weak in both qb and wr - 2 positions the jets need, arguably, more than rb or ol, prior to the draft.

    What the jets did:

    took best player available in gholston, now they have legitimate pass rushers (note, plural - not just one).

    took best pass catching option in keller, who has same speed as most of the top rated wrs, but is more versitile.

    A review of last year's strategy:

    sacrificing picks to get 2 guys they really liked looks like a good strategy, if you trust your scouts and evaluations. clearly the front office is influenced by their success last year.

  16. #16
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    22,792
    Quote Originally Posted by Franko097 View Post
    This is my main concern. You always hear the adage that success in the NFL is attained by building through the draft. I love Revis and Harris, but last year we had a thin in volume draft.

    Because of the Jenkins trade, we didn't have a surplus of picks to give away this year. That will be two years in a row we have a thin draft.

    This point of view has nothing to do with Keller as a player. He might end up being a unique and dynamic mismatch on a side of the ball where we desperately need it. But with a lot of good players at positions of need still on the board, moving up hardly seems justified.
    But the Jets picked up Kareem Brown (DL '07 4th Rd pick of the Pats), Oldernburg (OL '07 5th Rd of Pats) and Clowney (WR '07 5th Rd pick of Packers)....

  17. #17
    bandwagon
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    I've been beating his drum since December. I KNEW somebody would trade up in the end of the 1st to get him. His upside is just tremendous.

    I just hope he doesn't have to start too soon in Baltimore. They don't really have anybody ahead of him. And Flacco does need the time to develop his game.
    yea, me too... my ideal draft was landing flacco... ideally dmc and then flacco, but that wasn't in the cards.

  18. #18
    All League
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    New Orleans
    Posts
    3,674
    i think the whole afc east had a good day................i think day two is where the big test comes

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo59 View Post
    i think the whole afc east had a good day................i think day two is where the big test comes
    I would agree. Ditto for the NFC East.

  20. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by bongo59 View Post
    i think the whole afc east had a good day................i think day two is where the big test comes
    bongo - any comments on your day ? I'm sure it was just unbelievable . . .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us