Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Grading Mayock and NFLN vs ESPN.

All Pro

Grading Mayock and NFLN vs ESPN.

Whenever enough people like someone/somthing there obviously is going to be some that need to go the otherway(Its human nature) and alot of people have not liked him recently.

Anyway after this draft I can absolutely state this guy is the best in the business. On day 1 he nailed the majority of the picks, was ahead of the moves, and his top 90 out of 100 hit(86 was the best last year I believe).

NFL network was great to watch--Whats your guys impressions of ESPN and Kiper/McSuck.

All Pro
    It's obvious that ESPN has much more experience as a network in covering the draft. The screen format on ESPN was much better and easier to watch. I liked it way better than NFLN. I like the ESPN set better, I like most of the on-air talent better on ESPN as well. The only thing NFLN has over ESPN is Mayock. Kiper and McShay are just not very good at what they do given the resources they have.

Undrafted Free Agent
    How anyone can stand Chris Berman is beyond me.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby2times View Post
    ditto. How many times did you see him make a stupid joke that created awkward silence on the set? He's too full of himself and must go asap.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    It's obvious that ESPN has much more experience as a network in covering the draft. The screen format on ESPN was much better and easier to watch. I liked it way better than NFLN. I like the ESPN set better, I like most of the on-air talent better on ESPN as well. The only thing NFLN has over ESPN is Mayock. Kiper and McShay are just not very good at what they do given the resources they have.
    Production, video, screen graphics were better on ESPN.

The information and analysis seemed far better on NFL Network. I was in the JI Chatroom when the Jets traded up from #36. Adam Schefter nailed within 10 seconds that the Jets were taking Keller. We were posting it in the chatroom for 5 minutes and the guys in the chatroom who had ESPN were like, "what the hell are you all talking about?" , "the pick isn't in yet" , and "no way we're taking a TE."

NFLN > ESPN. I can deal with lesser graphics. They will get better production as time goes on. Still a new network.

Mayock and Schefter are, bar none, the two best guys I've seen cover the week leading up to the draft and the draft itself.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby2times View Post
    gotta say...I'm a berman fan not gonna lie....he could...go...alll..the.....way....(crickets)...no?

All League
    AS good as Mayock is,and he is good,you do realise the production staff are able to feed him the picks as soon as they're made.The 90" or so between the pick being handed in and the carefull choreographed-for-the-cameras commish walk to make the announcement allow ample time for the pick to be delivered to Mayock or Schefter via an earpiece,at the last moment before they go to the commish Eisen can come to him for a quick "who's your hunch?" and Mayock can then casually(or breathlessly depending on how big the pick is)announce that it's going to be whoever.There's a reason he nailed so many.

That said he is good

Undrafted Free Agent
    how can you guys hate on Berman. He may be if not is the best sportscaster/tv personality ever.

i was at the Draft Party at Dave and Busters in time square and NFLN was on all the televisions and i was very disapointed. ESPN does a much better job covering the draft. As big of a tool as Mel Kiper is, its hard to watch a draft without him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by TheMikeIsHot View Post
    ditto. How many times did you see him make a stupid joke that created awkward silence on the set? He's too full of himself and must go asap.
    who really cares? gettt rippped and watch the draft on mute

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by WeskerLogan View Post
    gotta say...I'm a berman fan not gonna lie....he could...go...alll..the.....way....(crickets)...no?
    i agree

the only person to ever get me pissed was

joe thiesman on monday night football, him & his crying, whining, omg i couldnt handle that guy

Banned
    NFL Net owned ESPN as far as the 08 draft.

All League
    NFLN was fine, but enough with the ****ing Bravery song already.

All Pro
    I had a bunch of short bursts of audio degradation on NFLN (over DirecTV). Anyone else have that? I had to switch to ESPN during those but they usually only lasted 10-20 seconds so it wasn't horrible.

Veteran
    I absolutely abhor Kiper and all of the mutual fellating between him and everyone else at ESPN. Did anyone see that segment day 2 where he called some off the wall guy in his top 200 list that was drafted in the middle of the fourth and everyone at the table bowed down to him? At that point I wanted to get up and stab someone in the face.

If I had a chance I would have gladly watched the NFLN's broadcast, no matter how pretty the ESPN layout was in HD. (also to note I hated that it took them over 5 minutes to discuss live event proceedings like it was an afterthought to just sitting around bs'ing in a circle-jerk, when I see the trade icon flash, or pick made icon, I personally would like to be informed ASAP instead of hear another 5 minutes of useless drivel by the crew.)

/rant ... *deep breath*

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    imo, everything was better about ESPN"s coverage besides Mayock..So I watched NFLN unless Mayock was on a break. I really couldn't stand the other panelists either on NFLN, Eisen is annoying, Faulk and Dukes add little. Much worse then the ESPN guys imo...

All League
    I had BIG problem with ESPN's coverage. When a pick would come in, if they were talking, they kept going- particularly on day 2. Quite frequently, they would announce several picks in a row as the unannounced picks piled up. I realize the graphic at the bottom of the screen was updated with the pick immediately, but it didn't remain on the screen for long.

Hall Of Fame
    I didn't watch espn but NFL network:

I like Mayock alot though he did a bit of peddaling when he was wrong about an upcoming pick. Mayock was getting seriously pissed with Jamie Dukes, who was being a bit of an idiot with some of his comments.

Eisen I don't like, just not a fan of his style of humour.

Charles Davis, excellent, knowledgeable, not an ahole, good analyst.

One guy that I really liked over the last month or so of draft shows is Casserly, even though he was bad for screwing up names he gave good insight into what it's like being a gm in the league.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    I had BIG problem with ESPN's coverage. When a pick would come in, if they were talking, they kept going- particularly on day 2. Quite frequently, they would announce several picks in a row as the unannounced picks piled up. I realize the graphic at the bottom of the screen was updated with the pick immediately, but it didn't remain on the screen for long.
    +1

And when they would show the athlete wearing the team hat even before the pick came through. It kills the suspense. I wish I had NFLN, but Cablevision has all of us under their thumb.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    Same, as I commented in my thread as well (toward the end.) It was particularly frustrating when a team like ours bounced up and down 4 times in 3 rounds (out of the 33 trades, we were involved in 5 I think.) They gave NO information on these cases, had to rely on a cowboy forum to supplement..

nfln was better. schefter and mayhock made the show and the depth of knowledge was better for them also.