Thread: I really like Dwight Lowery

I really like Dwight Lowery

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j0t0nau5mQo

A couple of minutes into the video, Lowery fouls up a would-be interception in the end zone (bright side: he was in the absolute right position, but it goes right through his mitts). I love the way this kid (No. 25) responds ... with two big plays.

And don't be put off by the fact that he played in the WAC. He's a Bay Area kid who WANTED to stay close to home for college. He turned down a scholarship offer from Purdue (so, one could make the argument that he's got Big Ten-type talent). But don't take my word for it (I'm not scout), take it from San Jose State coach Dick Tomey. From the New York Times:

“I’m not sure I’ve ever been around a player who meant so much,” Tomey said in a telephone interview. “From the minute he stepped on the field for us, he changed the attitude. He brought a sense of purpose that was lacking.”

Tomey has coached all over the country, including at Arizona, where Ravens cornerback Chris McAlister played. He said Lowery did not have McAlister’s speed, but called him a “steal” and “every bit as good a player.” He added that Lowery was the most serious athlete he ever coached.
    http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/28/sp...l?ref=football

And this coming from a man who coached Teddy Bruschi.

Anyway, maybe I'm overly optimistic about this kid because he played 90 minutes from my front door. But I really like this pick.

He was an All-American as a junior, when he had nine interceptions. Teams stopped throwing his way during his senior year, but he still managed four INTs. He played free safety in junior college.

His combine numbers:
    4.54 40-yard Dash
    4.38 short shuttle
    7.01 three-cone drill
    38-inch vertical jump
    10-foot-2 broad jump
    16 bench press reps

All League
    Considering the round we picked him in (4) and who was on the board at that time at that position I think all Jet fans should be pleased with his selection.
    Not all great CB's in this league have elite speed. Antoine Winfield lacks ideal speed and size at 5'8 ish, but he's one of the better cover coners in this league. Lowery has the instincts to be a very very solid nickle back and perhaps with coaching develope into a solid #2 or even a Safety.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BrickHouse View Post
    Considering the round we picked him in (4) and who was on the board at that time at that position I think all Jet fans should be pleased with his selection.
    Not all great CB's in this league have elite speed. Antoine Winfield lacks ideal speed and size at 5'8 ish, but he's one of the better cover coners in this league. Lowery has the instincts to be a very very solid nickle back and perhaps with coaching develope into a solid #2 or even a Safety.
    From what I have seen, Lowery easily makes up for his lack of speed, using his almost uncanny ability to read the QB and he anticpates where the ball will be.

All League
    The receivers name for SJS is "jerkavitch"?

BTW, Lowery is my fav pick of the draft. The more I read and see him play the more I like him. He has the tools to be a great nickel or even 2nd corner.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Thanks for the info. Any chance he starts this season?

This kid is going to be a player for us with the right coaching has a very BRIGHT FUTURE.