Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: why not revert kellen back to wr?

Veteran

why not revert kellen back to wr?

He was a wr before. Why not make him a wr again? Vincent jackson from chargers is as big as this guy. Would it be ideal? Or just teach him how to block. I was suprised when they picked a te. I wanted vernon davis back in the days, so having a te other then baker is good. But shotty make implement them into more then screens

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by crayc View Post
    He was a wr before. Why not make him a wr again? Vincent jackson from chargers is as big as this guy. Would it be ideal? Or just teach him how to block. I was suprised when they picked a te. I wanted vernon davis back in the days, so having a te other then baker is good. But shotty make implement them into more then screens
    Just cause it says TE by his name doesn't mean he can't line up at WR... He sounds like a guy that will line up everywhere... probably TE being the least since he can't block.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Sorry to be a grammar nazi but I keep seeing this done. It's KelleR. With an R. Not Kellen as in Kellen Clemons.

Keller is the TE
    Kellen is the QB

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by bobby2times View Post
    Sorry to be a grammar nazi but I keep seeing this done. It's KelleR. With an R. Not Kellen as in Kellen Clemons.
    Likewise, its ClemEns

Veteran
    My turn to be the Grammar Nazi: Its ClemEns not ClemOns

All League
    You were saying something about grammar?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianNY View Post
    Likewise, its ClemEns
    Classic.

That said, I don't think we'll have to worry about labels for Keller. He'll be a TE in name only.

Hall Of Fame
    The Jets comments were something along the lines that they plan to teach him how to be a blocker so that he can be a complete Tight End. That's not to say they won't have packages where they roll him out into the slot to create a mismatch, or be an H-Back though.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Is this the English Lit thread?

Question Was Dustin Keller worth the 30th Pick ??

Quote Originally Posted by WestJet View Post
    Just cause it says TE by his name doesn't mean he can't line up at WR... He sounds like a guy that will line up everywhere... probably TE being the least since he can't block.
    HERE's the Draft Report Card from NFL Draft Countdown

TE | Purdue | Scouting Report
    I'm not real wild about this one... Chris Baker isn't anything special and they could certainly use an upgrade but did they really need a one-dimensional pass catcher this early? Keller was the top tight end in this draft but that does not necessarily mean he is a first round pick and I just think the Jets had other priorities here. How about a cornerback like Brandon Flowers to team with Darrelle Revis? Or a safety like Kenny Phillips to replace Erik Coleman? Or even a big wideout like Limas Sweed or James Hardy? Needless to say there are a lot of other directions that I would have gone here if I were the Jets and taking a tight end was a ways down th

Practice Squad
    He happens to be the same height and weight as Marques Colston. He certainly could be a wideout. As for blocking, I'm not sure that you can't teach that. He has incredible upper body strength and perhaps he was not asked to block much in college.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crayc View Post
    IT'S KELLER, NOT KELLEN!!!!!!

Cmon people. GET IT RIGHT!!!!

.....plus don't you have a team to root for crayc?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Seagirt View Post
    HERE's the Draft Report Card from NFL Draft Countdown

TE | Purdue | Scouting Report
    I'm not real wild about this one... Chris Baker isn't anything special and they could certainly use an upgrade but did they really need a one-dimensional pass catcher this early? Keller was the top tight end in this draft but that does not necessarily mean he is a first round pick and I just think the Jets had other priorities here. How about a cornerback like Brandon Flowers to team with Darrelle Revis? Or a safety like Kenny Phillips to replace Erik Coleman? Or even a big wideout like Limas Sweed or James Hardy? Needless to say there are a lot of other directions that I would have gone here if I were the Jets and taking a tight end was a ways down th
    I do agree that I would've liked Brandon Flowers better here. K. Phillips is also a nice choice, but the coaches must really like Elam's potential and also perhaps have some confidence that Miller will continue from where he left off before his injury... but yes, i would've really liked B. Flowers, I think the guy is going to be very good.

But since we did go offense I like the pick as far as offense is concerend. And we still got a 6'4 WR later on, so I think now with Coles, Cotch, Stuckey, Keller and the 6'4 dude... that gives us some nice options. I mean this guy is pretty nice if you think about it... his athletic ability is borderline freakish for his size and the Youtube videos are pretty impressive I'm willing to bet that this was a Shotty pick... he probably likes the guys versatility and will most likely move him around everywhere.
    Last edited by WestJet; 04-28-2008 at 09:18 PM.

Undrafted Free Agent
    he is a WR he converted out of college...he will be our slot receiver not our tight end

All League
    I wish that title was changed. At first I actually came in here thinking that Clemens was a WR at one point and somehow didn't know about it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsyanks228 View Post
    he is a WR he converted out of college...he will be our slot receiver not our tight end
    ABSOLUTELY - I don't think anyone understands this.

He will be GREAT at WR / Slot / H-Back Receiving roles.

Any pundit from a media outlet who actually got paid to write "Dustin Keller was a dud pick because Tight End was not a need for the Jets" was a man who got paid for doing no research at all.

Very typical. If this were the Pats, the writers would instinctually "know" that "Keller will actually be a Slot man in Belichick's offense. Fear not, New England - he will be used correctly."

Since its the Jets, they couldn't give two frozen craps, and insist on calling Keller a TE and a waste of a Pick because its the Jets. The admittance of innovation on the part of the Offensive staff of the Jets will not come until we are consistent winners.

Same old story - The Pats could have drafted Mr. Irrelevant with the 10th pick overall and the media would gush about Belichick creating a new position that he is perfectly suited for.

We draft one of the scariest receiving threats in the entire draft and he's a waste of a pick because he's "technically labeled a Tight End."

Undrafted Free Agent
    right on

Hall Of Fame
    he lined up everywhere at purdue, he caught 68 passes last year.

just goes to show you, most people don't look beyond the 'TE' or 'WR'.

this is the same effect as the jets taking a possession wr in round 2, except most 'expert draft graders' would see the wr and give the jets a better grade b/c they 'addressed the wr need early in the draft'. yet, they'd both serve the same function - short to intermediate routes.

All League
    I said it as soon as we drafted this guy he will be in the slot. He has the speed and the quickness. If he plays in the slot and loses say 15 pounds he will be even quicker and still a big guy for a nickel or a LB to cover. I think he can bring our offense to another level if we use him right. Just throwing him in a TE role will just make us that more predictable which at this point is something we do not need.