Thread: Matt Cassell Jet QB in '09?

All League

Matt Cassell Jet QB in '09?

At the risk of being premature and opening up a can of worms, what are the chances Tangini goes after this guy next year?

It almost makes too much sense not to happen, especially since he's an UFA. He was highly regarded coming out of college, comes from the same system where Mangini once coached, and the only reason he hasn't played is because he's sat behind a Hall of Famer. Doubtful the Pats will franchise or fight to keep him. That's most likely why they drafted McConnell this year.

If Kellen should prove not to be the answer (I do like him, but he's still an unknown), I would like to see them make this move. Perhaps that's why they didn't draft Brohm or Henne...

QB Matt Cassel UFA New England Patriots

Veteran
    Would be an interesting move, but I'm still pulling for Clemens. Plus, I hate always going for the Pats hand-me-downs... but if it will make the team better then

SIGN THIS BEAST

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Colemonster View Post
    At the risk of being premature and opening up a can of worms, what are the chances Tangini goes after this guy next year?

It almost makes too much sense not to happen, especially since he's an UFA. He was highly regarded coming out of college, comes from the same system where Mangini once coached, and the only reason he hasn't played is because he's sat behind a Hall of Famer. Doubtful the Pats will franchise or fight to keep him. That's most likely why they drafted McConnell this year.

If Kellen should prove not to be the answer (I do like him, but he's still an unknown), I would like to see them make this move. Perhaps that's why they didn't draft Brohm or Henne...

QB Matt Cassel UFA New England Patriots
    I don't know about highly regarded. He threw 33 passes in college over 4 years

http://www.pro-football-reference.co...C/CassMa00.htm
    He didn't throw a TD pass while at USC
    Last edited by Batmans A Scientist; 04-30-2008 at 11:50 AM. Reason: wrong info

All Pro
    arrrgggh-he sucks and we already have a future Hall Of Famer in Brett Ratliff

As a Pats fan, I can tell you that Cassel's got some skills and certainly looks the part. But he's had so little game experience in his life. I think he needs a couple of years of regular PT before anyone can even determine whether he could become a quality starter. I doubt the Jets (or many NFL teams, for that matter) have time for that.

His best shot is to continue as a back-up and then get thrown into the fire by an injury and then everyone can see whether he can step up or not. I just pray that that doesn't happen while he is with the Pats.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by AFCEastFan View Post
    As a Pats fan, I can tell you that Cassel's got some skills and certainly looks the part. But he's had so little game experience in his life. I think he needs a couple of years of regular PT before anyone can even determine whether he could become a quality starter. I doubt the Jets (or many NFL teams, for that matter) have time for that.

His best shot is to continue as a back-up and then get thrown into the fire by an injury and then everyone can see whether he can step up or not. I just pray that that doesn't happen while he is with the Pats.
    It's funny. He's EXACTLY the kind of player that's perfect for NFL Europe. I'm guessing the CFL wants nothing to do with being a breeding ground for the NFL. Because this guy needs experience starting at QB. Somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Batmans A Scientist View Post
    It's funny. He's EXACTLY the kind of player that's perfect for NFL Europe. I'm guessing the CFL wants nothing to do with being a breeding ground for the NFL. Because this guy needs experience starting at QB. Somewhere.
    That's a great point. I agree completely.

All League
    He certainly seems to have the upside. He is a definitely total unknown though. Not sure what the bidding war for him would be like. I'd imagine there will be one given the number of teams with QB needs and his pedigree. So while it would be nice to sign him as backup, that may not possible. The team that wants him may have to pay out and take their chances. Essentially it would be like signing a 1st round QB, but without having to give up the draft pick. I could go for that.

Hall Of Fame
    well, Cassel will get his chance to audition after Gholston crushes Brady in week 2, thus ending the vicious cycle started by Mo Lewis

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    well, Cassel will get his chance to audition after Gholston crushes Brady in week 2, thus ending the vicious cycle started by Mo Lewis
    I like the sig Dirt.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Rohan Davey isnt doing anything.

Hall Of Fame
    This is the same guy who got benched after throwing a pick 6 while playing relief for Brady in a complete blowout against the friggin' Dolphins. That tells you all you need to know.

Hall Of Fame
    Erik Ainge > Matt Cassell

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    Just like mom said...."I brought you into this world(NFL), I can take you out"

Good luck watching week 3 from your hospital bed Tom.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Bleedin' Green View Post
    This is the same guy who got benched after throwing a pick 6 while playing relief for Brady in a complete blowout against the friggin' Dolphins.
    Thereby assuring the Pats take a QB in the draft.