Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Used car advice

Rookie

OT: Used car advice

ok well im buying a car sometime this week and i saw a car i liked. I know almost nothing about cars and wanted to know if it's a good deal or crap. OK so its a 98 accord, v6, 120,000 miles, leather seats, NO radio or anything, and sunroof. The only problems i saw/felt when i testdrove it were the brakes took a while to stop and the steering wheel pulled to one side. The guy said he would fix the things with his mechanics and i could drive it again to make sure it was good. This place has been in business for 30 years and seems alright. I checked the carfax report and nothing was wrong. now is 6,000 too much to pay? anything would be helpful... thanks

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Is it white?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by JacksonHtsJetFan View Post
    ok well im buying a car sometime this week and i saw a car i liked. I know almost nothing about cars and wanted to know if it's a good deal or crap. OK so its a 98 accord, v6, 120,000 miles, leather seats, NO radio or anything, and sunroof. The only problems i saw/felt when i testdrove it were the brakes took a while to stop and the steering wheel pulled to one side. The guy said he would fix the things with his mechanics and i could drive it again to make sure it was good. This place has been in business for 30 years and seems alright. I checked the carfax report and nothing was wrong. now is 6,000 too much to pay? anything would be helpful... thanks
    A few thoughts...

Even though its a Honda 120,000 miles is a lot. If you are buying from a private party (i.e. individual or local car shop) and not a dealership under a certified preowned plan you will be on the hook for repairs and problems. Is this a Honda dealership you were at?

I would check out Kelly Blue Book for expected pricing... www.kbb.com

Also, for $6K I think you should be able to find a good preowned Honda, especially earlier than year 2000. Have you checked out local dealerships? Again, a certified used car program gives you some added protection and peace of mind should something go wrong in the first couple of years.

Good luck.

Hall Of Fame
    first impression: i think you'd be getting ripped off.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Is it white?
    Are you racist?

...oh, and white cars are for girls! lol

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by LockeJET View Post
    Is it white?
    HAHA actually YES!!!

JetsFan2012
    $6,000 is way wayyy too much. And what kind of car comes with a sunroof and leather seats but no radio?

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    A few thoughts...

Even though its a Honda 120,000 miles is a lot. If you are buying from a private party (i.e. individual or local car shop) and not a dealership under a certified preowned plan you will be on the hook for repairs and problems. Is this a Honda dealership you were at?

I would check out Kelly Blue Book for expected pricing... www.kbb.com

Also, for $6K I think you should be able to find a good preowned Honda, especially earlier than year 2000. Have you checked out local dealerships? Again, a certified used car program gives you some added protection and peace of mind should something go wrong in the first couple of years.

Good luck.
    well it wasnt from a honda dealer, but a used car dude

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    $6,000 is way wayyy too much. And what kind of car comes with a sunroof and leather seats but no radio?
    i guess the guy who had it before wanted his radio?

it wasnt built like that it was removed i guess?

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

JetsFan2012
    i guess the guy who had it before wanted his radio?

it wasnt built like that it was removed i guess?
    Rrrriiight...

Why do you think he's been in business for 30 years? Because he's been selling pieces of crap consistently for double what they are worth. A succesful independant used car lot guy is not someone who you would immediately want to trust.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    Rrrriiight...

Why do you think he's been in business for 30 years? Because he's been selling pieces of crap consistently for double what they are worth. A succesful independant used car lot guy is not someone who you would immediately want to trust.
    I agree better to buy from a private party...

Rookie
    http://www.kbb.com/KBB/UsedCars/Pric...C251362%7Ctrue

This is what i get...

am i better off at a dealer or private?

Rookie
    well what kind of car should i be looking for? i want to pay at most 5000... gahhhh this is why im asking for help! haha

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    first impression: i think you'd be getting ripped off.
    +1

Check out your local classified ads.

All League
    Dont buy this vehicle. Dont buy this vehicle !!!!!

If the car had about 50k miles and none of the dash torn out, 6,000 would seem like a fair price. If the breaks are worn out this guy is going to slap some ****ty pads on there and you will be doing a full break job probably within a year. That means rotors and all. You do not want to get this car.

Go shop around some dealerships and see whats out there. If this is your first car you will want the experience of others who can help thats why you came here and asked . That was the first great thing you did . Oh did I mention DONT BUY THAT CAR !!!!

if you have a specific type of honda you would like to buy do a google search and find some people sellling them. Sometimes you can walk into a really great deal buying from a private party. You will NEVER get a great deal at a dealership becuase they know exactly how to rip you off. Sometimes private party sellers just want to get rid of the car but are not satisfied with the trade in offer they were given by the dealership becuase once again dealerships are pros at ripping people off.

Go out to some dealers and get an idea what the car you want costs then look it up and try to buy one from a private party . Make sure you bring it to a mechanic (ask someone in your family to reccomend a good mechanic) and get it fully checked out. Make sure its not white because , well you know .

All League
    Are you looking to make payments ? or are you paying cash ? if your looking to make payments you may have more options than you think

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashmouth View Post
    Are you looking to make payments ? or are you paying cash ? if your looking to make payments you may have more options than you think
    either... but id prefer to pay cash... its not easy to find a specific private sellers car here in MA w/o having to drive a while, well not as easy as back home in nyc

Undrafted Free Agent
    If you're willing to spend upwards of $6000, carmax is a good place to look at. My fiancee and her parents have both bought cars from them and had great experiences.

JetsFan2012
    either... but id prefer to pay cash... its not easy to find a specific private sellers car here in MA w/o having to drive a while, well not as easy as back home in nyc
    I'll tell you one thing right now, if you were planning on giving this guy 6 grand in cash for that car. I have a buddy who owns and operates an Aamco in the north Bronx. Take your new car there when it breaks down, he will certainly appreciate your business.