Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Peter King ranks the Jets

Hall Of Fame

Peter King ranks the Jets

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/200...ankings/2.html

14. New York Jets. If Eric Mangini learned one thing from all those years with Bill Belichick, it's pressure or perish. Pressure the quarterback well or go 4-12. And the Jets' pressure was pathetic last year. The guys who were supposed to rush the passer (Bryan Thomas, Shaun Ellis, Keyon Coleman and Victor Hobson) combined for 11 sacks.

This year the Jets should have three sacks a game, easy, with first-rounder Vernon Gholston and expensive free agent, Calvin Pace, coming from the edge and Kris Jenkins pushing the pile and drawing attention in the middle. ("I want to thank the Jets for getting that guy out of our division and out of my hair,'' Tampa Bay coach Jon Gruden said last month.) One other thing, Jets brass: Give Kellen Clemens a chance to be the quarterback; don't put him through an eight-game trial. Don't you know what you have in Chad Pennington by now?
    Spot on, IMO.

Hall Of Fame
    if the jets get 3 sacks a game the will be a top 10 team in the NFL and probably better than that.

All League
    Wait! Is King a moron Patriots ball washer today or is he insightful? I can't keep track.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    if the jets get 3 sacks a game the will be a top 10 team in the NFL and probably better than that.
    3 sacks a game puts you guys at 2 more sacks than we had last year, one more than the pats. As a pretty rough comparison.

Veteran
    Text Message of the Week
    "I'm ready to prove u wrong again, Mr. King. Can't wait.''

--New England safety Rodney Harrison, in a note to my cell phone, received at 10:27 a.m. Thursday.
    So is it safe to assume that Rodney made his latest HGH purchase at 10:25 am on Thursday?

All League
    One other thing, Jets brass: Give Kellen Clemens a chance to be the quarterback; don't put him through an eight-game trial. Don't you know what you have in Chad Pennington by now?

he is a smart man

Veteran
    No way King wrote this.
    He hates the Jets.
    Why would he offer hope?

He is 100% spot on.
    His 14 rank indicates we will be a pressure defense and cancer-laden offense.
    I agree. There is no big receiving threat. keller is too young and Coles/Cotch are #2's.

Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    One other thing, Jets brass: Give Kellen Clemens a chance to be the quarterback; don't put him through an eight-game trial. Don't you know what you have in Chad Pennington by now?

he is a smart man
    But look at his completion percentage!!!... OMG CWO 2008-2009 yea!

Just kidding.

Undrafted Free Agent
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty_VM View Post
    3 sacks a game puts you guys at 2 more sacks than we had last year, one more than the pats. As a pretty rough comparison.
    so you like cowboys huh?

Veteran
    Good read, nice find.

Jetsound I quoted this from your sig...
    OPEN
    #5-Get a #1 WR, a burner
    #7-get a real receiving TE (sorry, not Franks)
    #9-trade D'Rob
    #10-trade Chadwick, give KC the reigns in camp
    #11-sign a vet backup cheap (D.Carr/Joey?)
    I think you can check off numbers 7, and 9

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty_VM View Post
    Huh?

The Jets had 29 sacks in 2007. If they average 3 sacks a game in 2008, that would be 48, nearly 20 more than the previous year.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by JETS2417 View Post
    Good read, nice find.

Jetsound I quoted this from your sig...

I think you can check off numbers 7, and 9
    updated.......
    gracias.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Huh?

The Jets had 29 sacks in 2007. If they average 3 sacks a game in 2008, that would be 48, nearly 20 more than the previous year.
    he's a cowboys fan.

if we had three sacks a game, we would win the division IMO and be a superbowl contender.

that's an outstanding figure. unlikely.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    Huh?

The fat guy is a cowboys fan...

When he says we, he means the cowboys

Undrafted Free Agent
    Huh?

he's talking about the cowboys

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth Vader View Post
    he's a cowboys fan.

if we had three sacks a game, we would win the division IMO and be a superbowl contender.

that's an outstanding figure. unlikely.
    Yeh, I had to do a double take in reading his post.

Dallas had 46 last year, the Pats 47 and the Giants had 53. If the Jets averaged 3 sacks a game, the Jets defense will be in that company.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Capablanca View Post
    he's talking about the cowboys
    Doh!

In any event, 3 sacks a game would put the Jets defense in great company.

Banned
    At the very end of the article, in the 'I think' section, he thinks Gholston is putting a lot of pressure on himself by wearing #56 in NY.

Veteran
    Haha, sorry for the confusion guys.

3 sacks per game seems like a hard number to achieve on paper, but with some luck Pace proving last year wasn't a fluke, the addition of a true NT and the potential beast lurking in Gholston, it definitely might net you around 40 sacks.

As for a commentary on King, he doesn't seem well received around these (NYJ) parts either .. does anyone consistently like that man?

Hall Of Fame
    I think the pass rush is something the whole world new had to be a major Jets priority this offseason. To say it was bad last year would be a major understatement. That said, its great to point out how dramatically they addressed that need. You also have to love his final point, its sound logic and hard to argue. Without making this into another QB debate, I find it interesting how most of the national media outlets either assume Clemens is the guy this year or have stated he should be. Obviously a much different take than what we see locally.