Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Story: ROOKIE PROFILE: Dustin Keller looks break the first round TE jinx

All Jets 24/7

Post New Story: ROOKIE PROFILE: Dustin Keller looks break the first round TE jinx

Rookie TE Dustin Keller arrived at Weeb Ewbank Hall this weekend for rookie minicamp and Jets fans worldwide hope that this youngster from Purdue can break the first round TE jinx that has plagued the team for nearly two decades.

More...

Veteran
    am I the only one that glanced at the topic and saw the word "break" and got scared ****-less

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Revis View Post
    am I the only one that glanced at the topic and saw the word "break" and got scared ****-less
    Me too!

Can we not have links to pay per view articles. It's a pretty crappy thing to do.

Hall Of Fame
    I'm almost sure this JITownCrier guy is a mod in disguise.

BORGO!!!!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    If Keller doesn't work out the Jets should seriously consider NEVER EVER taking a TE in Round 1 again!

Hall Of Fame
    I know we fans cringe at the prospect of the Jets selecting a 1st round TE, but the failures of the past were for different reasons.

Johnny Mitchell was simply a headcase who used football as a vehicle to indulge in his outside-football life. He had great talent, but no desire to use it productively in the NFL.

Brady and Becht were blocking TEs. The Jets may have thought that both were receiving TEs, but they were probably smoking dope when they thought that because receiving TEs don't run in the 4.80s like Becht and Brady. They were both solid blockers and if they had been taken in the 3rd rather than 1st round (like Chris Baker was), they may have stayed with the Jets longer.

So, unless Keller morphs into a blocker or is a closet nutcase, he will not fall into the category of the Jets TE failures of the past.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    I'm almost sure this JITownCrier guy is a mod in disguise.

BORGO!!!!
    look at his avatar -- i think he's actually an undercover Pats* troll:

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    Me too!

Can we not have links to pay per view articles. It's a pretty crappy thing to do.
    Or at least mention it in the post so we don't bother. I understand the concept of having certain things for pay but be a little more clear.

All League
    I'm HIGHLY ANTI- J.I. Town Crier

All it does is remind me of the Pats - He's dressed like their Friggin Mascot!?!?

and having a town crier is more of a Boston (small town) thing than the way NYC (a true metropolis) rolls.

I hope someone on this board comes up w/a better messenger than the Quaker Oats guy directing us to a pay-per view link.

Some possible suggestions for a new type of messenger:

1) a plane or Jet w/a banner on the tail
    2) a snarky paper boy perhaps? that's more NYC than a "town crier"
    3) Al Sharpton or Pat Kiernan? ()

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

Becht and Brady were not drafted in the first round to block. TE's that are picked in round one are either slated to be exceptional receivers or give you both blocking and receiving. You can find good blocking TE's in later rounds.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    JI Town Crier.....24 posts in 9 years. He's a man of few words!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirtstar View Post
    look at his avatar -- i think he's actually an undercover Pats* troll:

Just to get the Kleck smiley down: what is it supposed to express?

Is it another or a is it like a ?

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Becht and Brady were not drafted in the first round to block. TE's that are picked in round one are either slated to be exceptional receivers or give you both blocking and receiving. You can find good blocking TE's in later rounds.
    EXACTLY!

That was my point. The Jets selected Becht and Brady thinking that they were receivers, but they were actually blocking TEs. As I mentioned, if they had been drafted in later rounds it would not have been an issue. Nevertheless, I still question the Jets thinking that Becht and Brady were receiving TEs because they really didn't fit the mold coming out of college.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    Yup. Like a primarily run-blocking Right Tackle, you don't take one in Round 1.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RaoulDuke View Post
    Just to get the Kleck smiley down: what is it supposed to express?

Is it another or a is it like a ?
    Angry Klecko Face is not an expression... it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    EXACTLY!

That was my point. The Jets selected Becht and Brady thinking that they were receivers, but they were actually blocking TEs. As I mentioned, if they had been drafted in later rounds it would not have been an issue. Nevertheless, I still question the Jets thinking that Becht and Brady were receiving TEs because they really didn't fit the mold coming out of college.

Well you have to take into account that conventional wisdom at the time was that TE's were blockers first, receivers second. It was the Tony Gonzalez's and Antonio Gates's of the world that changed the concept of what teams where doing with the TE. Now we have two different categories, one for receiving TE, one for blocking TE.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Eversteady View Post
    Well you have to take into account that conventional wisdom at the time was that TE's were blockers first, receivers second. It was the Tony Gonzalez's and Antonio Gates's of the world that changed the concept of what teams where doing with the TE. Now we have two different categories, one for receiving TE, one for blocking TE.
    Good point.

But that original thinking would have come into play with Brady rather than Becht, because Gonzalez was drafted 3 years before Becht and was already lighting up the NFL by the time Becht was drafted (ironically, the TE taken before Becht in the 1st is now on the Jets).

Nevertheless, I still can't think of a good reason to draft a TE in the 1st round who is a blocker first and a receiver second.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Dustin Keller likes pretzels? No way! I like pretzels too!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    Maybe you should get his AIM screenname and then you guys can chat about your common affinity for pretzels. It'll be swell.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RutgersJetFan View Post
    Don’t mess with my pretzels, guy.