Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Attacking The Pats Weakness

All League

Attacking The Pats Weakness

Well I think we all know the Pats weakness next year might be in their secondary. There is also the slight chance (due to age) they will have issues at LB as well. I mean these guys cant stay as healthy as they have been as they get older. All that being said, why has Mangini not brought more WR help into camp ? We did address many Important issues like both lines and LB which will help the pass rush and in turn help the secondary which I feel is strong to begin with but why no serious help at WR ? Does anyone know if there are WR's that might be possible cap casualties that can actully come here and make an impact ? I say this becuase if were going to attack the Pats it seems the best place to do that would be in their secondary.

I think Keller and Henry will make contributions but WR's make their biggest impact in year 2 becuase in year 1 they are, learning the offense, learning to read blitzes and ajusting their routes to compensate for the blitz. This takes time to get on the same page as the QB so Im not expecting tremendous things from these 2 next year.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Smashmouth View Post
    Well I think we all know the Pats weakness next year might be in their secondary. There is also the slight chance (due to age) they will have issues at LB as well. I mean these guys cant stay as healthy as they have been as they get older. All that being said, why has Mangini not brought more WR help into camp ? We did address many Important issues like both lines and LB which will help the pass rush and in turn help the secondary which I feel is strong to begin with but why no serious help at WR ? Does anyone know if there are WR's that might be possible cap casualties that can actully come here and make an impact ? I say this becuase if were going to attack the Pats it seems the best place to do that would be in their secondary.

I think Keller and Henry will make contributions but WR's make their biggest impact in year 2 becuase in year 1 they are, learning the offense, learning to read blitzes and ajusting their routes to compensate for the blitz. This takes time to get on the same page as the QB so Im not expecting tremendous things from these 2 next year.
    Shouldn't you be looking for a QB before looking for WR's?

Practice Squad
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Where did you go for the last 2 weeks man?? Alcatraz? Who let you out???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Yale1087 View Post
    Where did you go for the last 2 weeks man?? Alcatraz? Who let you out???
    Someone called him out on his sh*t and it stirred the hornets nest. Tons of people called for his banning. Whenever this happens he lays low for a while until things calm down, then he returns.

It happens every so often with him, and he always does the same thing. He sticks his head in the sand, closes his eyes and prays it all goes away.
    Last edited by Sourceworx; 05-07-2008 at 03:33 PM.

All Pro
    From the title of the thread I thought you were going to imply sending the VIllage People to Tom Brady's hotel room the night before the game

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    It happens every so often with him, and he always does the same thing. He sticks his head in the sand, closes his eyes and prays it all goes away.
    or up tom brady's a*s

Practice Squad
    Someone called him out on his sh*t and it stirred the hornets nest. Tons of people called for his banning. Whenever this happens he lays low for a while until things calm down, then he returns.

Ok, duely noted! Was just hoping it would be longer than it was!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I think the Jets did exactly what was needed, to the degree they could, in order to improve how we matchup with the Pats. A pure pass-catching TE in Keller could be a great weapon against an aging Patriots LB corps. Teams will have to decide how to defend against him. They can either drop a LB into coverage against Keller or put a nickel CB on the field. Each decision has pros and cons but I think Keller will pose some challenges for the Patriots. At a minimum, the Jets should get a better read on the Pats defensive scheme and alignment pre-snap by having Keller in the lineup and putting him in motion. The Pats will have to unzip their fly a little bit (no Brady jokes implied) by presenting how they plan to cover Keller. In most defenses both of your OLB's can, to some degree, do a decent job covering the TE either alone or with the help of a Safety (i.e. bump at the line, shadow for a few yards, release to the Safety, etc.). But a WR in TE clothing (which is basically what Keller is) can present some difficulties. The problem is that Keller could be a big liability in the running game.

Practice Squad
    Ok, I hate the PATS as much as the next guy on here, BUT we do have 14 other teams on the schedule!! We have alot more to worry about than just the Pats! I just think some people get too caught up with what they are doing, or how we counter that. We just need to worry about what the JETS do! With that said, I think Keller has the chance this year to open things up for both LC and Cotch and to make some big plays himself. I hope Henry can step up and be that redzone threat we need to win any game. I dont expect too much from him this year, but do think he has some serious upside once he gets used to the NFL speed.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    did you see his sig? that's the only quarterback he'll ever want/need

We should not be interested in building a team to just attack the Pats. There are12 other teams that we play that we need to be more concerned with than New England. Thats thinking way too far ahead for a team that has finished among the worst in the NFL in 2 of the last 3 NFL seasons. That said, I dont think the Jets view beating NE by destroying them with WRs. We have no QB to throw the football and for what its worth our team has played very well on defense against them these last two seasons under Mangini. For us to beat New Enlgand we are better off limiting our QBs ability to throw the ball and create points for New England when he makes a mistake. We have a better chance trying to slug it out with them in the mud running the ball and throwing when necessary.

Rookie

He finaly should get banned. It was such a quite time here, most threads were very readable. Or fun (yeah, even without TX we've still got funny threads!)

Back to topic: Sack Brady. Worked in SB, should work in every game.
    Though I think we wont be able to beat them yet, lets focus on the rest of the NFL, and especially SD in week 3 - if we can beat them, we will get in the Playoffs. My prediction

All Pro
    I agree with those who said we play 14 other games, not just the 2 against the Pats. That's a bad way to go about building a team if you just focus all your attention on one team.

As for Henry, I think people are expecting too much from him. You can get lucky and find a diamond rough, but I think you're being a little too optimistic if you think a rookie 5th round WR is going to help us from the get go. Don't expect great results in year one.

Rookie
    the jets didnt go into this offseason to build a team based on the pats weaknesses...it is a horrible way to manage a team and doesnt make much sense...we are light years away from being able to build a team that can light up the score board with the pats and have games with finals of 42-35...i hate to say this but the jets took a page out of the giants playbook and realized football games are won in the trenches on the offensive and defensive line and getting brady on his a*s is the best way to beat him...this years team will be like teams of the recent past...trying to control the ball while managing the clock and running the ball and taking advantage of the play action pass...the only difference is this year we will actually be able to do these things...the jets have added much talent in positions that are most important but least exciting...it would have been very easy to try and trade for chad johnson or make a ridiculous offer to moss this offseason but it wouldnt have been practical...the jets are building their own team and are going to try and dictate the pace of the game...dont expect high scoring games from the jets this season...expect games of finals 20-13 or so but do expect the jets to be on the winning side of these games a lot more...the defense will be a top 10 defense much improved from last years sack total and leon will have a break out year

Make no doubt... we're going to be a run first team. Even the Giants were like that, Eli had a couple of good throws to win them the game but the fact that they were able to pound the rock against the pats was also a key to their victory. As previously stated, we have 14 OTHER games. I'd be more concerned with those marginal games that MIGHT go in our favor or go the other way. I think our two games against the Bills are key as well as the game against the Cards. Both teams are probably at our level and blowing all three of those games could cost us a trip to the post-season. As long as we hang tough and play like we did our second time against the pats last year, I'm happy. They've been the bully on the block long enough, it's time for us to punch them right in the mouth.

All League
    Gee do we really have 16 games on the schedule !!

Heres the deal if your a good football team you will compete fine with everyone especially if you can match up vs the Pats. When it comes down to winning a Division you better damn well be worried about the Pats because that 2 game swing will mean having a bye week in the playoffs with at the very least one home game or going in as a wild card on the road. Divisional games are the most important games you play all season. They are the hardest fought games and are involed in mutiple tie breakers as well. The Pats will be a good football team and field a contender for the next 5 or 6 years at least so those 2 games will be extremly Important. So yeah I want to exploit their weaknesses because strengthening a teams weakness works aganist everyone not just the Pats. If I had a choice to strengthen the Jets in one area right now it would be at the WR position and yes it goes both ways it would be to exploit the Pats weakness and improve our team in the process. When Jets fans looked at the up coming season I would be willing to bet 90% of them focused in on where the Pats fell on the schedule. Right now those are the two most important games on our schedule. Sure that can change during the regular season but as of right now while building a football team your focus is to beat the Pats.
    Last edited by Smashmouth; 05-07-2008 at 07:41 PM.

All Pro
    The way to beat the Pats*is simple: Fag bash on Defense. Disguise Blitzers with pre-snap movements and sack the hell out of Brady and he crumbles. The Giants effectively copied our game plan in game 2 against the Pats* when we were the only team last season to hold Brady to no tds for the majority if not the whole game. The amazing thing is that we did that without limited pass rushing skills and without a NT who could stop the run.

With a true NT in Jenkins, a huge upgrade in LBs with Pace and Vernon Gholston, Harris for 16 games, a more experienced CB in Revis, and hopefully someone like Lowery panning out and our D is going to be light years better than last year. Mangini is going to give Brady fits.

On offense its also pretty simple. The Pats* front 7 are big and old. they rely on them for pass rush because their secondary sucks. The key to beating them is #1 wear them down because given their size and age they don't have the stamina to run for a full 60 minutes. That's difficult to do though if you aren't as physical as they are, which the Jets were not with clowns like Clarke and Clement. Faneca, Woody, Richardson, and Bubba Franks are going to add nastiness to our line and by jamming down the Pats* thoats (not a Tom Brady reference). That will diminsh their capacity to be one dimensional and rush the passer and open up Keller down the seams where their secondary again sucks.
    Last edited by woodside; 05-07-2008 at 08:23 PM.

Veteran
    Umm What weakness?

At 18-1 I don't think there are many weaknesses we can find. Of course there are 16 games but no win will measure success any greater than against the Pats.

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by woodside View Post
    The way to beat the Pats*is simple: Fag bash on Defense. Disguise Blitzers with pre-snap movements and sack the hell out of Brady and he crumbles. The Giants effectively copied our game plan in game 2 against the Pats* when we were the only team last season to hold Brady to no tds for the majority if not the whole game. The amazing thing is that we did that without limited pass rushing skills and without a NT who could stop the run.

With a true NT in Jenkins, a huge upgrade in LBs with Pace and Vernon Gholston, Harris for 16 games, a more experienced CB in Revis, and hopefully someone like Lowery panning out and our D is going to be light years better than last year. Mangini is going to give Brady fits.

On offense its also pretty simple. The Pats* front 7 are big and old. they rely on them for pass rush because their secondary sucks. The key to beating them is #1 wear them down because given their size and age they don't have the stamina to run for a full 60 minutes. That's difficult to do though if you aren't as physical as they are, which the Jets were not with clowns like Clarke and Clement. Faneca, Woody, Richardson, and Bubba Franks are going to add nastiness to our line and by jamming down the Pats* thoats (not a Tom Brady reference). That will diminsh their capacity to be one dimensional and rush the passer and open up Keller down the seams where their secondary again sucks.

good post...i just think you throw the phrase "simple" around a little too much...i love the jets offseason moves and see much success this season and find it very hard to believe that with all the talent they have brought on board with this team that they will not have a successful season...with that being said qb play will be very important and our record will have a window of worst case 8-8 and best case 12-4...we have a pretty easy schedule but if we want to be a legit team we have to win a big game...san diego or new england would do

Rookie
    Quote Originally Posted by george jetfan from miami View Post
    Umm What weakness?

At 18-1 I don't think there are many weaknesses we can find. Of course there are 16 games but no win will measure success any greater than against the Pats.
    unfortunately for the pats we are all 0-0 at the start of the season...any success from last year cant help them much this year...but at least they have their super bowl victory to celebrate...dont they??

their secondary will have to recover from many losses this offseason and as much as i think samuels was a product of the system he still was a huge part of their success...this isnt me saying the pats are declining and this season will be a landslide...the beautiful thing about sports especially football is that anything can happen and us jets fans have a chronic problem of believing and thinking of what could be