Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NY Times: A Decade of Sins Deserves a Year Out

All Pro

NY Times: A Decade of Sins Deserves a Year Out

A Decade of Sins Deserves a Year Out

By HARVEY ARATON
    Published: May 9, 2008

What an extensive video library Bill Belichick turns out to have produced. Eight more spy tapes sent to N.F.L. headquarters for Commissioner Roger Goodell’s viewing pleasure by a former student in the New England Patriots’ film noir studies program. Who knows how many more taped over or discarded over the last eight years?

Coach Bill Belichick was fined $500,000 and the Patriots lost a draft pick before the latest tapes surfaced.

Analysis and discussion of the N.F.L. draft and off-season news from around the league.

Go to The Fifth Down Blog

Imagine the documentary possibilities for those talented folks at NFL Films, provided Goodell hasn’t already tossed the evidence into the fireplace with Tom Brady-like precision in a reprise of his mysterious spin cycle last fall.

Now that the “totality of conduct” for which Belichick was cited by Goodell has officially expanded to the length of his tenure in New England, shouldn’t he be further punished as a serial offender, a con man who not only broke the rules but established secretly taping opponents as standard operating procedure?

“If your wife cheats on you once, maybe you can forgive her, but if she cheats on you over the course of your entire marriage, that becomes unforgivable because she has flouted the rules, shown no respect for your marital contract,” said Sharon K. Stoll, director of the Center for Ethics at the University of Idaho and the author of “Sports Ethics: Applications for Fair Play.”

“That is apparently what happened in this case, a disregard for the organization and its rules and it’s a big mess that the N.F.L. has on its hands because this coach happens to be an American icon, a man who has had a book written about him by David Halberstam,” Stoll said. “The league has to stand up and make a strong statement because the last impression it wants to leave is that this particular coach was above those rules.”

Let me digress before explaining why I believe Belichick should now be barred from coaching the Patriots for one season, on top of the $750,000 in fines and the forfeiture of a first-round draft pick levied on him and the Patriots by Goodell last fall. (The money was the equivalent of a parking ticket and the draft pick not all that punitive in a year when the Patriots also had the 10th pick, from New Orleans.)

In another context, I would gladly concede that my proposed punishment falls well short of fitting the crime. Espionage in a sport played and promoted as recreational warfare would seem to be a natural extension of the competition. Defending one’s team against it would require nothing more complicated than what a third-base coach does, disguise his signals, in full view of an entire ballpark six or seven times a week.

But these are the rules set forth by the N.F.L., enforced by Goodell and reportedly reinforced in a league memo sent to the teams in 2006. To which Belichick at the very least responded by videotaping the Jets in the 2007 season opener that touched off the so-called Spygate affair, now encapsulated in its own online entry of the same name on Wikipedia.org.

In other words: embarrassment to the league in perpetuity, courtesy of its team of the decade and reigning coaching genius.

As rumors of additional tapes circulated before the Giants crushed the Patriots’ dream of a perfect season in Phoenix in February, including one of a filming of a St. Louis Rams pre-Super Bowl practice in 2002, Goodell made a point of saying, “It was not something that was done on a widespread basis.” Already you get the idea he wants everyone, especially the crusading Senator Arlen Specter, to believe there is nothing in the newly submitted tapes that Belichick hasn’t already detailed, as if all of this was already on the table for public inspection.

The good news for Goodell is that the Patriots’ former video coordinator Matt Walsh apparently did not have the aforementioned tape that would have tainted at least one of the three Super Bowls claimed by Belichick’s Pats. But the real news here is, again, the establishment of Belichick’s cheating then (2000 to 2002), now (last season) and if we may extrapolate based on reasonable cause, in all likelihood in between.

His explanation, his word, on this matter means as much as Roger Clemens’s on family values. “There obviously has been some lying going on — ‘oh, we did it once; we misinterpreted the rules, we didn’t mean to,’ ” said Stoll, the ethicist. As a liar and a cheater, what separates Belichick on the grand behavioral plane from your basic synthetic warrior who gets suspended four games when he produces a dirty test?

Augmented by logic, the facts suggest Belichick has been cheating for almost a decade. And since replacing Paul Tagliabue, Goodell has fashioned himself the zero-tolerance commissioner, cracking down hard on those — players, that is — who would compromise the runaway popularity of the league with antisocial acts. Shouldn’t that policy be applied even more stringently to those in control?

“They need to send a message here,” Stoll said.

One year out. Then let’s see Belichick dare spy again in 2009.

JetsInsider.com Legend

All Pro

Practice Squad
    The TRUTH hurts huh boys!! BB is a loser! He was before he was the HC of the Pats and still is! He figured out how to cheat with the best of them, and won a few SB's, and now he is being exposed for the lieing, cheat scum bag that he is! The best thing Mangious ever did was to call out that loser!!!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

Mods -- PLEASE BAN and change subject title to:

"A decade of Trolling deserves a Year Out"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Yale1087 View Post

The best thing Mangious ever did was to call out that loser!!!

For someone sleeping through this ongoing story, you were certainly the first one to come up from your mothers basement and post your brilliant denoucement reply.

Of course, by replying so quickly, and with your utterly transparant brave-face "yawn, no story" facade, you've showed us one thing.....

For such a "master" troll, you're awfully easily trolled yourself.

"Hey look, someone started a Pats thread"

"Who's the first reply"

"Why it's TX and his Zzzzz's" Who else would it be?"

Predictabilllity ftl.

Practice Squad
    Nice Tx, showing pictures of your best friend down in that basement of yours!?

Banned
    Bill Belichick = The NFL's Barry Bonds

The man is a sham, his whole coaching life is a sham, everything he has ever accomplished is a sham, and everyone outside of Patsy-homerville knows it

All League
    Pleas stop post pictures of your gerbils. It is sick.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post

The man is a sham, his whole coaching life is a sham, everything he has ever accomplished is a sham, and everyone outside of Patsy-homerville knows it
    Totally disagree. Bonds was a HOF player before he started cheating. Belicheater record before 2001 was equivalent to Rich Kotite's.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    First of all, you're admitting that Mangini did squeal on someone who was cheating, thereby admitting BB was cheating. Ha! Nailed.

Secondly, I really don't care anymore. What's done is done, 3 Superbowls and an 18-1 later, who cares how he did it. Just start the season already, I'm dying with nothing but baseball and NBA playoffs.

Banned
    Honestly, I don't even enjoy beating up on Bill Belichick anymore, he's made it too easy, it almost feels like bullying now because he's such a thoroughly disgraced snake oil salesman outside of Patsyhomerville

I mean everyone knows the man is a complete and utter sham

All League
    he cheated got caught and should of been punished more severly.

Belichick should have been suspended for at least 8 games last year for spygate.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    he cheated got caught and should of been punished more severly.
    It doesn't take away any SB title, any record, or any shallacking of the NY Jets by the Pats. It will do nothing but aggravate you. I think the NFL is trying to just be done with it as well.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post

You are giving BB way too much credit.

Barry was an MVP before he started juicing heavily. BB was a joke as a HC...and a solid DC.

Barry still had to pull off his accomplishments with talent. BB cheated to get his players in the right situation and they had to still make the play.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by John_0515 View Post
    It doesn't take away any SB title, any record, or any shallacking of the NY Jets by the Pats. It will do nothing but aggravate you. I think the NFL is trying to just be done with it as well.
    i'm sick of hearing it about it too and want it to go away but beli should of been suspended. i think its lingering because the punishment was a joke

All Pro
    It's a crime he's admitted to already, Belichek said he waas doing this until 2000.
    It's like someone getting convicted of a crime (and pleading innocent) then later on video evidence comes out confirming the conviction.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by sect313 View Post
    i'm sick of hearing it about it too and want it to go away but beli should of been suspended. i think its lingering because the punishment was a joke
    Maybe. Either way, who cares, I want us to win. It's over now, everyone will be watching them, let's move forward and try to win a division.