Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Really excited about our O-line and front seven

  1. #1
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110

    Really excited about our O-line and front seven

    These two areas, which were our most glaring weaknesses last season, now have the potential to be dominant.

    I think we can all agree that our O-line was the root of most of our problems on offense last year. Mangold was the one and only consistent player rounding out the front five. Brick showed flashes but got blown by in a few contests. Moore was average at best. As for Clarke and Clement, well, we all know that they were two rotating piles of sh*t with no valuable use whatsoever.

    Now in comes Alan Faneca. Seven time consecutive pro-bowler known for his ability to pave way in the running game and is well regarded as a nasty player with a maulers attitude. His passblocking skills have diminished slightly over the past two years, but he's still one of the Top 5 OG's in the NFL. Damien Woody is a rock solid stop-gap solution who showed some potential at RT late last season in Detroit. He's definitely an upgrade over Anthony Clement and should be the starter on the right side for the next year or two until a guy like Bender or Garner can step up or perhaps we take an OT prospect high in the near future.

    With Brick, Faneca, and Mangold entrenched on the left side, our running game could be dominant.


    Now we come around to the front seven.

    Our passrush was non-existent last year and we once again gave up tons of yards on the ground. Kris Jenkins was such a valuable pickup it's hard to put into words. Only a blindman wouldn't have noticed D-Rob getting tossed around like a ragdoll at NT last season. Having a bigbody who commands constant doubleteams is key to having success in the 3-4 defense. Jenkins is the big 350 lb mauler that we've been desperately searching for. We ousted Hobson who was a complete stiff last year and brought in both Gholston and Pace to wreak havoc off the edge. We already know that Harris will be a main staple at ILB for the next 10 years and Barton, while not a star, is still a solid LB who brings a swagger to the defense. Gholston, Harris, Barton, and Pace with Bowens and Thomas coming off the bench sounds like an excellent recipe for getting after the QB if you ask me.


    We have major questions regarding QB and the #2 CB spot, but you can't help but be very excited about what this new look O-line and front seven are capable of.

  2. #2
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    The depths of Despair.
    Posts
    40,476
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    These two areas, which were our most glaring weaknesses last season, now have the potential to be dominant.

    I think we can all agree that our O-line was the root of most of our problems on offense last year. Mangold was the one and only consistent player rounding out the front five. Brick showed flashes but got blown by in a few contests. Moore was average at best. As for Clarke and Clement, well, we all know that they were two rotating piles of sh*t with no valuable use whatsoever.

    Now in comes Alan Faneca. Seven time consecutive pro-bowler known for his ability to pave way in the running game and is well regarded as a nasty player with a maulers attitude. His passblocking skills have diminished slightly over the past two years, but he's still one of the Top 5 OG's in the NFL. Damien Woody is a rock solid stop-gap solution who showed some potential at RT late last season in Detroit. He's definitely an upgrade over Anthony Clement and should be the starter on the right side for the next year or two until a guy like Bender or Garner can step up or perhaps we take an OT prospect high in the near future.

    With Brick, Faneca, and Mangold entrenched on the left side, our running game could be dominant.


    Now we come around to the front seven.

    Our passrush was non-existent last year and we once again gave up tons of yards on the ground. Kris Jenkins was such a valuable pickup it's hard to put into words. Only a blindman wouldn't have noticed D-Rob getting tossed around like a ragdoll at NT last season. Having a bigbody who commands constant doubleteams is key to having success in the 3-4 defense. Jenkins is the big 350 lb mauler that we've been desperately searching for. We ousted Hobson who was a complete stiff last year and brought in both Gholston and Pace to wreak havoc off the edge. We already know that Harris will be a main staple at ILB for the next 10 years and Barton, while not a star, is still a solid LB who brings a swagger to the defense. Gholston, Harris, Barton, and Pace with Bowens and Thomas coming off the bench sounds like an excellent recipe for getting after the QB if you ask me.


    We have major questions regarding QB and the #2 CB spot, but you can't help but be very excited about what this new look O-line and front seven are capable of.
    I am so susceptible to these feel-good posts, I am like a big bee-atch.

    I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. #3
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Jets Stadium Section 246
    Posts
    36,924
    Su - Per - Bowl !

    Su - Per - Bowl !

    Su - Per - Bowl !

  4. #4
    Veteran
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,165


    We definitely need to pick up some depth though. I sure hope that we're still active looking for depth at DL and OL.

  5. #5
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    28,110
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post


    We definitely need to pick up some depth though. I sure hope that we're still active looking for depth at DL and OL.
    With $10+ mill in cap space left, I wouldn't doubt it.

  6. #6
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    594
    This front seven by the end of the season should be pretty dominating. The Lb corp. has a chance to be really special. if Pace improves on his play from last year and the combo of Gholston/Thomas produce with hopefully gholston taking the majority of the snaps by the end of the season. We should be able to get to the qb. Harris should be excellent once again and barton is solid.

  7. #7
    Hall Of Fame
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Bethel, CT
    Posts
    11,242
    if we improved the pass rush and running attack in one offseason, it's a great thing.

    nothing better than watching your team pound the rock and kill the QB

  8. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by SCITSCAT View Post


    We definitely need to pick up some depth though. I sure hope that we're still active looking for depth at DL and OL.


    We have it with Bowens, Mosely, Thomas (in case he loses his job) not to mention last year's kids Trusnik, Murrell and Kareem Brown who I think has probably the most potential.

  9. #9
    Rookie
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    698
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    With $10+ mill in cap space left, I wouldn't doubt it.
    If we have $10+ mill in cap space left, I'd really like us to accelerate some bonuses or something to improve our cap outlook. Then maybe we won't be as worried about the cap hit when we cut Woody and Pace after a few years.

  10. #10
    JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    27,261
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise View Post
    if we improved the pass rush and running attack in one offseason, it's a great thing.

    nothing better than watching your team pound the rock and kill the QB
    Agreed. I love smash-mouth football.

  11. #11
    Banned
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    0
    Its become cliche, but it so true...you win and lose games at the LOS.

    Hopefully, we found the solutions. I am definitely excited about the potential these players provide to improve our oline tremendously. I just hope we can do it and we didnt miss with any of these guys.

    I good about our LB, not great. I love Harris and dont see him being a 1 year wonder...I think he is the truth.

    I actually like Barton a lot...some here hate him...but I see him doing the things that we need him to do for Harris to get those tackles and thats saying a lot playing with a DT that doesnt fit the system.

    Pace/Gholston/Thomas are the unknowns...IMO. If they play up to their potential and more...then we are in good shape...if not, the addition of Jenkins will be null.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Follow Us