Thread: Way OT - Manhattan businesses

All Pro

Way OT - Manhattan businesses

I moved to St. Louis from NYC last year to be with my fiancee as she went to her 1st year of law school.
    Now I'm back and there's one thing about New York that I dont'quite understand and would love for someone to explain to me

Considering the high prices of rent and the cost of staying in business, how is it that SO many fortune tellers stay in business? Does anyone actually go to these places

(Yes, I'm aware that this will include a barage of "they can see the market coming and invested accordingly") seriously. I can think of at least 10 places in the East Village alone. Not only have I never been to one, I don't know anyone who has gone more than once. They are as common as drug stores and banks.

It's just weird.

Hall Of Fame
    I dont know why, but i am cracking up right now. Good question.

front for illegal activities (drugs, prostitution) ??

All Pro
    I think little to no operating costs is the key here.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

they're all fronts... for nail salons.

wikipedia says that most have other full-time jobs, and while they do various other things, there's a concentration in the human services fields - counseling, social work, teaching, health care.

Also from wikipedia: ...fortune telling is a class B misdemeanor in the state of New York. Under New York State law, S 165.35: A person is guilty of fortune telling when, for a fee or compensation which he directly or indirectly solicits or receives, he claims or pretends to tell fortunes, or holds himself out as being able, by claimed or pretended use of occult powers, to answer questions or give advice on personal matters or to exorcise, influence or affect evil spirits or curses; except that this section does not apply to a person who engages in the aforedescribed conduct as part of a show or exhibition solely for the purpose of entertainment or amusement. However one should use his intelligence and wisdom while visiting fortune tellers.[6] By mentioning that "one should use his intelligence and wisdom while visiting fortune tellers," the law-makers who wrote this statute acknowledged that fortune-tellers do not restrict themselves to "a show or exhibition solely for the purpose of entertainment or amusement" and that people will continue to seek out fortune-tellers even though fortune-tellers operate in violation of the law.

Board Moderator
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by parafly View Post
    I think little to no operating costs is the key here.
    at $2000 - 3500 for a 1BR apt, rent is operating cost enough...