Thread: NY Post-6/7/08- Get it in Writing

Hall Of Fame

NY Post-6/7/08- Get it in Writing

'GET IT IN WRITING'
    BAKER'S TIP ON DEALING WITH JETS
    By BRIAN COSTELLO
    OVER BAKED: Tight end Chris BakerChris Baker practices with his teammates this week during the JetsNew York Jets ' mini-camp in Hempstead.
    June 7, 2008 -- As disgruntled as Chris Baker is about his contract, he still respects the Jets' team rules.

The testy tight end spent yesterday's mini-camp practices on a stationary bike after tweaking his back. But he would not talk about the injury, as per coach Eric Mangini's mandate.

He was more talkative on other subjects, though. For the second day in a row, he ripped Jet management, which he said promised would rework his contract after last season and didn't.

"I've actually tried to avoid this at all costs - every step of the way my agent has been communicating with [GM] Mike [Tannenbaum] and trying to stop this from happening," Baker said.

Baker has two years left on his deal that pays him about $1.65 million per year.

Tannenbaum denies ever telling Baker's agent last year he would redo Baker's contract.

This has been a recurring theme with the Jets, with Pete Kendall last year and Laveranues ColesLaveranues Coles earlier this year. Baker said players are noticing a pattern.

"Guys are definitely concerned about it," Baker said. "I can guarantee you after this is all said and done there will be someone out here going through the same thing next year and the following year because of the way things are handled here.

"My advice to guys would be if you're going to do anything, as far as with this organization, get it in writing, because things may be said with a wink and then the next thing you know they say something has been misconstrued. This is three times and, like I said, this is going to continue to happen."

Baker has said he believes the way the Jets handled the Kendall situation last year hurt the team's season. He thinks it could happen again this year with him, but Mangini said he's not concerned.

"I don't think that one guy can affect the group," Mangini said.

Mangini emphasized it was Baker's decision to sit.

"He was not held out," he said.

Some will probably snicker at Baker's injury a day after he made it clear he's not happy here, but he said no one should question him.

"I took three injections in my back three different times last year," he said. "You know what I mean? This was at the point where we were 1-7 and things like that.

"If anybody ever questions whether I want to be on the field or things like that that's up to them, but I could have easily packed it in last year and I didn't do it. And it wasn't like we were fighting for a playoff spot halfway through the year."

First-round pick Vernon Gholston practiced for the first time yesterday after being kept out by an NCAA rule. ... Safety Kerry Rhodes left the morning practice with a right leg injury, but practiced in the afternoon wearing a sleeve on the leg.

brian.costello@nypost.com

Rookie
    With Kendall and Coles, my thoughts were to pay them. They are team leaders and vital cogs on our offense. Kendall was underpaid anyway and Coles is very much the locker room leader (if that's a good thing or a bad thing is a whole other discussion).

Baker however, I'm not so worried about. He has pretty good hands, I do believe that he is underrated, and in another offense he'd be good for 50-60 catches for 500 yards and around 5-8 TD's. But that's his ceiling. He's over estimating his position here. He's not as good as he thinks he is and this power play is going to hurt him much more than it helps. There's no way the Jets rework him now, they can't, or every year some decent play is going to pull this same play. Now that he's made such a ruckus his best case senareo is being moved to another team and playing for the EXACT same salary. The Jets would be just fine with that, it's not like they didn't draft his position the first freakin round this year. Between Keller and Franks we'll be fine at TE this year. As far as the Jets getting a bad rep. around the league for this, Who Cares? Money talks and BS walks. The Jets have shown that they are willing to pay players that they think are quality and waffle on the players that they don't think are so good. Kendall was getting old, so he didn't get paid. Coles is a trooper and a playmaker, so he got paid. What does this say about the FO's opinion of Baker? If Baker was deemed that valuable there would be no Keller, no Franks, and he'd have a new contract.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by jet22dan View Post
    He has pretty good hands, I do believe that he is underrated, and in another offense he'd be good for 50-60 catches for 500 yards and around 5-8 TD's. But that's his ceiling. He's over estimating his position here.
    I agree. I think his "numbers" are artificially low due to his role in helping out a pizz-poor line, but he is cutting off his nose to spite his face now.

The veiled threats regarding this happening again with other players and "getting it in writing" speak to me of disingenuous agents that are playing both sides and are effectively torpedoing Chris's career. You cant overlook the fact that Kendalls management and playbook are both in place for Chris this year.

I think Chris feels genuinely aggrieved, and I understand it to an extent, but he is being poorly served by his agents.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by jet22dan View Post
    With Kendall and Coles, my thoughts were to pay .
    Coles was whining about money before he left for the Skins and also was accusing the Skins of lying before he came back to the Jets..Kendall was a pain in the butt with the Hawks and Cards before he brought his big mouth to the Jets..It's amazing how many fans buy into their BS..

Is Baker Blind? Does he think the Jets drafted a TE with their second round pick and signed another to a Free agent contract because the Jet's braintrust believes he "outperformed his contract"?

All League
    What if he's right though?

We may not know the whole truth.

I'm of the belief that 86 is crucial to our offense. We need guys who produce when given the opportunity and we need to keep him here and end this thing as soon as possible.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by Green&White51 View Post

I'm of the belief that 86 is crucial to our offense. We need guys who produce when given the opportunity
    Was 51 crucial to our defense or was Harris a better option??

JetsInsider.com Legend

I'm of the belief that 86 is crucial to our offense. We need guys who produce when given the opportunity and we need to keep him here and end this thing as soon as possible.
    That's the thing, Baker hasn't produced much.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Was 51 crucial to our defense or was Harris a better option??
    I know but regarding O, dont you think we have enough question marks already?

Keller looks great on highlights but thats it so far and BF's days as a dominate pass catching TE may be numbered or over completely and now we have a proven commodity in BAKER and were going to throw him away?

IMHO, the less question marks the better.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

I know but regarding O, dont you think we have enough question marks already?

Keller looks great on highlights but thats it so far and BF's days as a dominate pass catching TE may be numbered or over completely and now we have a proven commodity in BAKER and were going to throw him away?

IMHO, the less question marks the better.
    Baker is his own problem..He has a contract if he didn't like it he shouldn't have signed it..Bubba Franks and Keller are a upgrade to me without playing a down..Which means do I think they will beat All World Bakers career best stats of last year?? In a heart beat..

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    Baker is his own problem..He has a contract if he didn't like it he shouldn't have signed it..Bubba Franks and Keller are a upgrade to me without playing a down..Which means do I think they will beat All World Bakers career best stats of last year?? In a heart beat..
    Hope your right.

All League
    These A-Hole athletes DEMAND long contracts and don't want to abide by them. I never see them give the money back or ask for less after they have a suck year. All sports fanchises shoud have a rule that if you don't honer the contract that YOU signed you are permenently banned from said sport, Just like the rest of us regular Joe-Schmo's