Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: OT: On The Road

Banned

OT: On The Road

I can't believe i've been on this earth for 35 years and have never read Kerouac. Great, crazy book. I'm almost done.
    Kicks.

Anybody else like?

JetsFan2012
    You know, I've never read him either. And I'm an avid reader. Odd.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by pauliec View Post
    You know, I've never read him either. And I'm an avid reader. Odd.
    ditto. Maybe this is sign.

JetsFan2012
    I know this won't make any sense at all, but I always viewed On the Road in the same vein as, say, Atlas Shrugged (another classic that I've never read). It's so hyped up by everyone, that I feel like I'll just come away dissapointed. I have trouble believing it's that good.

Kind of like Catcher in the Rye.

Banned
    The book is definaetly left. He wrote it in one shot freehand and refused to have it edited.
    It's based on real life, and has no real arc..but its CRAZY. I can see how
    alot of people don't get it, but I can also see how it changed so many icons lives.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Gagoots View Post
    The book is definaetly left. He wrote it in one shot freehand and refused to have it edited.
    It's based on real life, and has no real arc..but its CRAZY. I can see how
    alot of people don't get it, but I can also see how it changed so many icons lives.
    I like the fact that he published it more or less unedited and that it's loosely based on a true story. I guess I'll read it one of these days. Too many books on my reading list now, though.

Banned
    I like the fact that he published it more or less unedited and that it's loosely based on a true story. I guess I'll read it one of these days. Too many books on my reading list now, though.
    I'm waiting impatiently for the NEXT Jonathan Safran Foer...but no word...

Hall Of Fame
    +1
    I love book threads. Been going through a fiction stretch for the past few months (I usually read non-fiction) and will gladly take any recommendations (as long as they're not serial books). Currently reading "Death of an Ordinary Man," by Glen Duncan. http://search.barnesandnoble.com/The...2170040/?itm=1 Another one of his books, "I, Lucifer" is getting made into a movie coming out next year, starring Ewan McGregor and Daniel Craig http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0444646/ The book is HIGHLY recommended.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I know this won't make any sense at all, but I always viewed On the Road in the same vein as, say, Atlas Shrugged (another classic that I've never read). It's so hyped up by everyone, that I feel like I'll just come away dissapointed. I have trouble believing it's that good.

Kind of like Catcher in the Rye.
    Paulie, no Catcher in the Rye?

Seems like "fear" keeps you from the good things life offers.

Dude, absorb it all, gobble it up NOW.

One day you will turn around and it will be OVER.

Or you wont even have a chance to turn around......it will just be over.

We live a charmed life in this great Country. Enjoy it now, hammer.

JetsFan2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    Paulie, no Catcher in the Rye?

Seems like "fear" keeps you from the good things life offers.

Dude, absorb it all, gobble it up NOW.

One day you will turn around and it will be OVER.

Or you wont even have a chance to turn around......it will just be over.

We live a charmed life in this great Country. Enjoy it now, hammer.
    Oh, I've read Catcher in the Rye. And it was good, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but then again I didn't put it on an altar in my house and say a novena in front of it every night like everyone else I knew. One kid even carried a tattered copy in his back pocket all the time.

Like I said, it was good, but I think the hype killed it for me. I'm afraid it'll be the same with On the Road.

JetsFan2012
    Any book nerds may appreciate www.goodreads.com

It's like a facebook-style networking site for book lovers. You sign up and start adding books to your digital library -- books you've read, want to read, or currently reading. You can also write reviews for your favorite books or read other people's reviews.

I think it's pretty useful for keeping a list of books I want to read. I used to have scraps of paper all over my bedroom with titles scrawled on them. Now I just put them on my "to-read" list on goodreads. If you join, PM me with your email address, I'll add you to my contacts list.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    One kid even carried a tattered copy in his back pocket all the time.
    Thats different. Tattered copy in back pocket most likely means dead celebrity in rear view mirror. I don't dig that scene, man.

I loved John Lennon.

All League
    Oh, I've read Catcher in the Rye. And it was good, I thoroughly enjoyed it, but then again I didn't put it on an altar in my house and say a novena in front of it every night like everyone else I knew. One kid even carried a tattered copy in his back pocket all the time.

Like I said, it was good, but I think the hype killed it for me. I'm afraid it'll be the same with On the Road.
    I really liked it but what kills me is that I think Salinger (SP?) really is not that great of a writer, I think he just had a good story to tell.

Practice Squad
    Love "On the Road". It's one of the only books I read twice. And speaking of classics I just started on "Crime and Punishment". Looking forward to that. "Blood Meridian" by Cormac McCarthy is also good, although it requires some patience. It did for me anyway. Oh, and Woody Allens early novels are hilarious writing.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    I can't believe i've been on this earth for 35 years and have never read Kerouac. Great, crazy book. I'm almost done.
    Kicks.

Anybody else like?

Great book.

Follow it up with the "Catcher in the Rye".

Veteran
    Kicks.

Anybody else like?
    The next one to read is Tom Wolfe's Electric Koolaid Acid Test

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... i thought catcher in the rye $ucked !! ... holden caulfeld wasn't a wild rebel, he was just a boring pu$$% ... even for the time when it was written i couldn't believe how boring his rebellious acts were ...

... i read on the road a long time ago and don't remember anything from it - nothing outstanding either good or bad ...

... paulie - atlas shrugged was an excellent book, certainly better than the two i discuss above (like comparing cooking hotdogs on the backyard grill to cooking a nice juicy steak) ... if you want to read something which hasn't gotten all the hype though i'd pick up ayn rand's other masterpiece - the fountainhead, personally my 3rd favorite read of all time ! ...

l_j_r

All League
    Read Atlas Shrugged last summer and I was pretty dissapointed. The book was way too long and the story became pretty ridiculous. To me that is the most overhyped book out there. I did absolutely love On the Road, great book that I couldn't put down.

Practice Squad
    Kicks.

Anybody else like?
    If you liked "On The Road," read Dharma Bums

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post

Great book.

Follow it up with the "Catcher in the Rye".
    Both books are some of my all time favorites. And they are pretty similar too. It's just very different from a lot of stuff you read today, yet it manages to claim a unique way of dealing with life and struggle of moving on and growing up. Great books...

Another one I recommend is "The Tender Bar"...