Thread: Cedric Benson ordered to get alcohol car lock

JetsInsider.com Legend

Cedric Benson ordered to get alcohol car lock

8 hours, 0 minutes ago

AUSTIN, Texas (AP)—Former Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was ordered Monday to install an ignition-lock breath tester in his car after he was charged with drunken driving.

Benson was charged in separate incidents of boating and driving while intoxicated. Travis County Court-at-Law Judge Elisabeth Earle ordered him to install the device within 72 hours as a condition of his bail at a pretrial hearing.

The device prevents the car from starting if it detects alcohol.

Earle said the ignition lock requirement is common for defendants facing multiple DWI charges and does not indicate whether Benson is guilty or innocent.

Benson’s attorney did not immediately return a telephone message seeking comment.

On May 3, the former Texas star was charged with boating while intoxicated on Lake Travis and resisting arrest. A few weeks later, he was charged with driving while intoxicated when he was pulled over in downtown Austin.

The Bears cut Benson after the second arrest. Chicago drafted him in the first round in 2005.

=====================================

This reminded me of a guy I knew in college who had a DUI and was ordered to use one of these things. You basically have to blow into it like a breathalizer for the car to start and if it detects alcohol, no go. So this guy would simply blow up about 3 or 4 balloons and have them in his backseat "just in case" he was out and had a few drinks and needed to start his car. He would take a balloon that he had blown up and put it over the nozzle thing to trick the system. I'm sure they have more sophisticated systems now but in the late 90's this seemed to work for him. What a moron!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Well that's awesome. Insurance company's should cover these and let them be available for EVERY driver. Free of charge.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    That'll ruin your weekend.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetstream23 View Post
    8 hours, 0 minutes ago

AUSTIN, Texas (AP)—Former Chicago Bears running back Cedric Benson was ordered Monday to install an ignition-lock breath tester in his car after he was charged with drunken driving.

Benson was charged in separate incidents of boating and driving while intoxicated. Travis County Court-at-Law Judge Elisabeth Earle ordered him to install the device within 72 hours as a condition of his bail at a pretrial hearing.

The device prevents the car from starting if it detects alcohol.

Earle said the ignition lock requirement is common for defendants facing multiple DWI charges and does not indicate whether Benson is guilty or innocent.

Benson’s attorney did not immediately return a telephone message seeking comment.

On May 3, the former Texas star was charged with boating while intoxicated on Lake Travis and resisting arrest. A few weeks later, he was charged with driving while intoxicated when he was pulled over in downtown Austin.

The Bears cut Benson after the second arrest. Chicago drafted him in the first round in 2005.

=====================================

This reminded me of a guy I knew in college who had a DUI and was ordered to use one of these things. You basically have to blow into it like a breathalizer for the car to start and if it detects alcohol, no go. So this guy would simply blow up about 3 or 4 balloons and have them in his backseat "just in case" he was out and had a few drinks and needed to start his car. He would take a balloon that he had blown up and put it over the nozzle thing to trick the system. I'm sure they have more sophisticated systems now but in the late 90's this seemed to work for him. What a moron!
    Thats normal in many states after a DUI, gotta have it for a year and costs you 70 bucks a month here in Florida.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Well that's awesome. Insurance company's should cover these and let them be available for EVERY driver. Free of charge.
    Take more tax money from me so everyone can have a car lock?

F that, buddy.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    Take more tax money from me so everyone can have a car lock?

F that, buddy.
    Its really dumb... Its a thing that some geek kid, who probably posts here, wanted to get rich on..

This is the stupidist I've ever heard. People cant be responsible for they're own actions? have we really gotten that stupid that we cant obey the laws? especially when we have to rely on technology to MAKE us do it. That is sad. its saddens me that these guys got the world by the balls and blow on this ****. I mean aren't you smart(or rich) enough to take a cab or hire someone to drive your ass? makes me sick no sympathy from me

Veteran

And who do you get to blow "sober"??????

Money maker for someone! I agree , this prevents nothing for the rich, and 5% for normal people. Just yank their license, give them seven days community service for first offense. Six months later they can get the license back, by then the insurance company can make sure they get re-priced!

All League
    On a side note, I'm so sick of everyone crying about how many dui's and people getting hurt or even killed from them, yet there isn't even a prison sentence if you are convicted.......1 year in jail minimum first time dui, and atleast 50% of dui's across the country go down.......simple as that.......why doesn't europe have nearly as big of a problem with dui's?? A big reason is the fact that their penalties are much stiffer

All Pro
    When we were roommates, one of my buddies had one of these on his car after he got a DUI. One day, he comes in, slams the door and shows me some long a*s printout and says, "Any idea who's been trying to start my car at 2:12AM, 3:20AM, 4:17AM, etc. on such and such dates?" I'm like, "Uh, no..." He goes, "Well, SOMEONE has been trying and they downloaded the information off the device and gave me this printout implying that I was trying to drive at all hours of the night/morning, HEAVILY intoxicated!" And then it dawned on me, when we were drinking at home, me and one of the other roommates would test the machine by trying to start the car and see how high our BAC was. Unfortunately, we were usually so wasted that we forgot all about it...until he got the printout. He made us call his counselor and swear that it was us! After it was all cleared up, he laughed his a*s off about it...luckily, he had a good sense of humor.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    This is the stupidist I've ever heard. People cant be responsible for they're own actions? have we really gotten that stupid that we cant obey the laws?
    Apparently.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by BleedingGreen View Post
    When we were roommates, one of my buddies had one of these on his car after he got a DUI. One day, he comes in, slams the door and shows me some long a*s printout and says, "Any idea who's been trying to start my car at 2:12AM, 3:20AM, 4:17AM, etc. on such and such dates?" I'm like, "Uh, no..." He goes, "Well, SOMEONE has been trying and they downloaded the information off the device and gave me this printout implying that I was trying to drive at all hours of the night/morning, HEAVILY intoxicated!" And then it dawned on me, when we were drinking at home, me and one of the other roommates would test the machine by trying to start the car and see how high our BAC was. Unfortunately, we were usually so wasted that we forgot all about it...until he got the printout. He made us call his counselor and swear that it was us! After it was all cleared up, he laughed his a*s off about it...luckily, he had a good sense of humor.
    That's good.

All League
    No Stoli Elit for Benson!

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by tfine350z View Post
    This is the stupidist I've ever heard. People cant be responsible for they're own actions? have we really gotten that stupid that we cant obey the laws? especially when we have to rely on technology to MAKE us do it. That is sad. its saddens me that these guys got the world by the balls and blow on this ****. I mean aren't you smart(or rich) enough to take a cab or hire someone to drive your ass? makes me sick no sympathy from me
    to quote will smith in "independence day," welcome to earth.

it's been like that ever since humans have been around. that's what we do. you shouldn't be surprised here.

and frankly, i think these things are good. the ones i don't want driving at all are the ones that would be too drunk to even figure out why the car won't start, and if they figure it out, they wouldn't be able to put 2 and 2 together and start a mission to go find someone sober to blow for them. if it were up to me, it would be in every car manufactured. why not? there's no reason that it should effect anyone unless you are drunk, and in that case, you have no business driving.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Untouchable View Post
    That'll ruin your weekend.
    HA

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by jetliner View Post
    Money maker for someone! I agree , this prevents nothing for the rich, and 5% for normal people. Just yank their license, give them seven days community service for first offense. Six months later they can get the license back, by then the insurance company can make sure they get re-priced!
    They are smart though,,it will prompt you randomly at a red light to blow again, just in case someone blew in it for you.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 24 View Post
    They are smart though,,it will prompt you randomly at a red light to blow again, just in case someone blew in it for you.
    That would ruin your weekend as well.