Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: J.Stokes...I'm headed to The Keys on Thurs.

J.Stokes...I'm headed to The Keys on Thurs.

I was so inspired by your thread 2 months ago that I booked another trip down to Florida for a long weekend with the Mrs.

Were staying mid-Keys at Cheeca Lodge. And , of course, already made dining resv at your favorite in-expensive place, Little Palm Island.

We're gonna do the day-trip on Saturday from Islamorada down to Key West & hang on Duval Street for a while. I just hope the weather is good.

What were your favorite other restaurants?
    Last edited by Baddniss; 06-10-2008 at 01:21 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Baddniss View Post
    I was so inspired by your thread 2 months ago that I booked another trip down to Florida for a long weekend with the Mrs.

Were staying mid-Keys at Cheeca Lodge. And , of course, already made dining resv at your favorite in-expensive place, Little Palm Island.

We're gonna do the day-trip on Saturday from Islamorada down to Key West & hang on Duval Street for a while. I just hope the weather is good.

What were you favorite other restaurants?
    OUTSTANDING!!

Easily the best restaurant we went to was Latitudes on Sunset Key (props to FF2 for that recommendation). You take a boat from the Westin Marina right off Mallory Square, really fabulous.

You need reservations, take the boat at 6:30 (I think) so you get the full sunset. Food was incredible, service was really friendly and helpful. We actually sat a Oprah's private table--ask for it before hand--it's in the sand kind of secluded from the rest of the tables.

http://www.sunsetkeyisland.com/food.htm

Actually liked it just a bit more than Little Palm Island, but it's like flipping a coin, they were both great. Actually, the only thing wrong with Little Palm Island was that it was too windy so we couldn't sit totally outside, but the food and ambience were great. What a stunning resort.

Had drinks at Hog's Breath Saloon before we took the boat out to Sunset Key which was kind of fun. Good live music.

Actually really like a restaurant across the highway from Cheeca Lodge called Pierre's. I'd say it is definitely worth it to go off campus--it's less than 1/4 away.

Didn't like another one just next door called Islamorada Fish Company, but it is a great place to take the kids because around sundown they feed the tarpon and sharks right off the dock, was pretty cool. Drinks were good but the food is not great at all.

I'll see if I can remember anything else.

But definitely do Latitudes.
    Last edited by JStokes; 06-10-2008 at 01:11 PM.

Hall Of Fame

Oh, no kids!

Then do NOT go to Islamorada Fish Co.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

Typical South Florida weather this time of year Bob..Some of the afternoon thunderstorms off the starits can be quite awesome..have a great time

Today: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. High 88F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
    Tonight: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Low around 80F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 60%.
    Tomorrow: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. High 89F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
    Tomorrow night: Scattered thunderstorms. Low 81F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
    Thursday: Scattered thunderstorms possible. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the low 80s.
    Friday: Scattered thunderstorms possible. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the low 80s.
    Saturday: Isolated thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the low 80s.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    My first and last time down to the keys was in Islamorada way back in '95.
    Had an awesome time and cant wait to go back someday.

My friends took me there for my bachelor party.
    Went to Key West one night, all of us agreed to meet back at Sloppy Joe's at 1am. If not you were left behind.

Needless to say a couple of my dumbass friends never made it back.
    They took a cab from Key West back to Islamorada and it cost them over $250...

Hall Of Fame
    Baddniss- just spoke to the GF, she really liked Pierre's as the one great local restaurant we went to on Islamorada. On the bay side of Highway 1, they have a really nice deck to sit out on for drinks and you get the whole sunset. Better than the restaurants at Cheeca for dinner.

http://www.pierres-restaurant.com/index.php?id=1

Quote Originally Posted by jetfan13 View Post
    Typical South Florida weather this time of year Bob..Some of the afternoon thunderstorms off the starits can be quite awesome..have a great time

Today: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. High 88F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%.
    Tonight: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. Low around 80F. Winds light and variable. Chance of rain 60%.
    Tomorrow: Scattered showers and thunderstorms. High 89F. Winds E at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 50%.
    Tomorrow night: Scattered thunderstorms. Low 81F. Winds ESE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 40%.
    Thursday: Scattered thunderstorms possible. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the low 80s.
    Friday: Scattered thunderstorms possible. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the low 80s.
    Saturday: Isolated thunderstorms. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the low 80s.
    Al,

Please make sure the weather is nice for me for the weekend! None of those So.Florida thunderstorms please!

B.

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JStokes View Post
    Baddniss- just spoke to the GF, she really liked Pierre's as the one great local restaurant we went to on Islamorada. On the bay side of Highway 1, they have a really nice deck to sit out on for drinks and you get the whole sunset. Better than the restaurants at Cheeca for dinner.

http://www.pierres-restaurant.com/index.php?id=1
    Lattitudes
    Pierre's
    Little Palm Island

Thats my kind of eating line-up. Between these 3 and the booze, I may gain 20 lbs by Monday!

Hall Of Fame
    Lattitudes
    Pierre's
    Little Palm Island

Thats my kind of eating line-up. Between these 3 and the booze, I may gain 20 lbs by Monday!

We did have a GREAT lunch at the Curt Gowdy room. One of my buddies had caught a huge grouper and they brought it literally right back to the dock, took it into the kitchen and they made us deep-fried grouper sandwiches out of it.

Also, I think I AVERAGED about 6.3 mojito's a DAY.

One other good thing we did, we rented a convertible Mustang at the airport, was kind of fun tooling around the Keys in it, and the ride down to Key West and the 7 Mile Bridge was great.

DAMN I am VERY jealous! Have a great time. Don't forget reservations at Latitudes.

All League

Badniss, the Cheeca Lodge is a great choice. When staying there, its easy to make the place the center piece of any vacation rather than the area itself.

All Pro
    Louie's Backyard is great, if you don't mind the cost.

Always had a great time at the Hog's Breath, but don't forget Captain Tony's...

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice
    Lattitudes
    Pierre's
    Little Palm Island

If you want to go where the toursits go then you are mentioning some of the right places.

If you want to know the LOCAL hotspots then you need to ask a LOCAL.

Banned

What were your favorite other restaurants?
    Warning:
    There is a "Special" festival going on this week in Key West called PRIDE Fest. You may want to avoid some of the splendor.http://www.pridefestkeywest.com/
    I'm heading down with 30 families to Key West also this weekend for some swimming events and only learned about Pride yesterday. I am already preparing my answers to my kids questions ...such as...why is that man bent over.
    Here are some Islamorada tips. Befriend someone with a boat and get out to the sand bar a mile out in front of Holiday Isle...a big water-tailgate scene. Hit the Loralei for happy hour, near the Cheeca. Big Dick and the Extenders plays some great music. Hit Robbies for some tarpon feeding. If you are into fishing, do an evening tarpon charter and forget about bonefishing. Deep sea charters need to go offshore 20 miles so not much bang for the buck.
    My favorite restaurant is Marker 88, north of Islamorada, gourmet fish menu. If you skip Key West but want to day trip, head to Marathon for snorkeling on Spirit...great boat with a great snorkeling site. And eat at the Tiki Bar in Marathon at sunset...great food, great view, casual. Have fun.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan View Post
    If you want to go where the toursits go then you are mentioning some of the right places.

If you want to know the LOCAL hotspots then you need to ask a LOCAL.

ARod- with all due respect, I've done a fair share of fine dining in my day. And I get the "local" flair.

But Latitudes and Little Palm Island rival any truly top restaurants.

And they are most certainly NOT where "tourists" go.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    ARod- with all due respect, I've done a fair share of fine dining in my day. And I get the "local" flair.
    Oh-oh, I smell a cat fight brewing.

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

East Coast of the United States - subject to change on short notice

But Latitudes and Little Palm Island rival any truly top restaurants.

And they are most certainly NOT where "tourists" go.
    Little Palm Island is VERY MUCH a tourist spot, albeit a rich tourists spot, it is clearly marked on any map you pick up at any of the visitor's centers here in the keys.

Latitudes is also a tourist landing, that doesn't mean it's not a good restaurant.

You may be an accomplished fine diner JStokes, but this is my back yard brother, I have lived here full time for the last 15 years, so throttle back a bit.
    Last edited by ARodFLKeysJetsFan; 06-10-2008 at 04:50 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by ARodKeyWestJetsFan View Post
    Little Palm Island is VERY MUCH a tourist spot, albeit a rich toursists spot, it is clearly marked on any map you pick up at any of the visitor's centers here in the keys.

Latitudes is also a tourist landing, that doesn't mean it's not a good restaurant.

You may be an accomplished fine diner JStokes, but this is my back yard brother, I have lived here full time for the last 15 years, so throttle back a bit.
    Didn't mean to step on any toes, Baddniss was just asking what my favs were when we were down there.

These were great restaurants IMHO. And there were plenty of bad ones.

I was thinking "tourist" like Margiritaville. Hell, when it comes down to it, the whole of Key West is a tourist area!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    Oh-oh, I smell a cat fight brewing.
    Nah, just a difference of opinion. Mine don't count!

JetsInsider.com Legend
    This used to be such a nice thread before the mean man came!

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post
    This used to be such a nice thread before the mean man came!

He scares me