Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: David Harris: Did the Jets draft a special player?

Banned

David Harris: Did the Jets draft a special player?

Everyone knows he's Good, but is he better than Good?

Had he started from day one in 2007 he probably would have led the league in tackles, and even starting one game north of half the season {9 Games} he still finished #8 in tackles, only one tackle shy of DeMeco Ryans and London Fletcher who started all 16 Games and tied for #6

In fact I did the math and if you average out his tackles PG in his 9 starts {11.3} over the first 7 Games {non starts}, then add that number {79} to his 102 tackles in his 9 Starts, he would have trumped Patrick Willis for the #1 Spot {181 to 174}, and that would have been 40 more than the #3 LB on that list, DJ Williams {141}, who also {like Willis} started all 16 Games, ditto Jon Beason {140} and every other LB who finished ahead of Harris

His 5 Sacks were more than any linebacker in the TOP 35 for tackles {including OLB's} other than Brian Urlacher who also had 5, but he had more tackles than Urlacher who finished at #10 despite starting all 16 Games

I am not putting anyone in Canton after one season however impressive it may be, but you can't discount the numbers and you can't ignore what you saw with your own two eyes, this player has a chance to be special and by that I mean "Great", I mean a HOF career is possible {barring injuries} if his rookie season is any indication, and, dare I say it, if you consider the likelihood that he is just scratching the surface

You may have said the same about Jon Vilma following his rookie season and that didn't exactly go as planned, so only time will tell for sure, but Vilma excelled in the 43 and he was miscast in the 34, no such obstacle appears on the horizon for David Harris and he is tailor made for this scheme

Remains to be seen and some good fortune {health} is always essential, but this kid has a chance to be special, he has a chance to be the best linebacker in franchise history, and maybe even better than that .. and its not only the numbers, this kid plays the game violently, creates some violent collisions the way linebacker was meant to be played
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-05-2008 at 07:57 PM.

All Pro
    If their rookie seasons are any indication, both he and Revis will be special. If VG and Keller pan out and are the same type of players, Tangini has done an amazing job in the last two drafts

Banned
    I havent figured out if David Harris is one of those players that was just "pro-ready" and came into the league at the level you cant expect to see him play at for awhile. Or if he is one of those guys that has a ton of room to grow as a player.

If its the later and he is only going to improve in leaps and bounds like most rookies do, he is going to be a very special player. Its so hard to predict HOF for a player this young. You have to sustain top 3-5 status in the league for at least a decade to really have any consideration.

All Pro
    David Harris will be the #1 rated linebacker in the NFL after this season.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by woodside View Post

If their rookie seasons are any indication, both he and Revis will be special.
    I have to respectfully disagree, woodside

I don't think we can mention Darrelle's rookie season in the same breath as David Harris

For a rookie DB to have the kind of rookie season Harris had, the DB's equivalent if you will, I think Revis would have needed 10 INT's and a slew of PD's, I think that is the equivalent of what David Harris did at ILB in only 9 Starts

This kid would have led the league in tackles if you average his numbers out over 16 Games, and his five sacks were more than any linebacker in the TOP 35 for tackles other than Urlacher who also had 5 {in 16 Starts}, and that includes OLB's in the TOP 35 for tackles as well

Harris had a GREAT rookie season, Great by any standards, Great by veteran standards, Revis would have needed an Asante Samuel/Antonio Cromartie type of season to match what Harris did at ILB

JMO Woodside, I like Revis and I love his upside, but he wasn't in David's class as a rookie
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-05-2008 at 02:58 PM.

All Pro
    I think some of us as Jet fans seem to over rate some Jets players over the years such as Pennington is the next Montana, Vilma is the next Singletary and so on. I think Harris had a wonderful rookie year. Lets see how he builds on this before we rate him or compare him.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by woodside View Post
    If their rookie seasons are any indication, both he and Revis will be special. If VG and Keller pan out and are the same type of players, Tangini has done an amazing job in the last two drafts
    QFT...Revis & Harris look like all-pros already.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    I think some of us as Jet fans seem to over rate some Jets players over the years such as Pennington is the next Montana, Vilma is the next Singletary and so on. I think Harris had a wonderful rookie year. Lets see how he builds on this before we rate him or compare him.
    Great post. Vilma's rookie was amazing, still sad to see him gone, obviously the right decision. Hopefully Harris turns out to be something special.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post

I don't think we can mention Darrelle's rookie season in the same breath as David Harris

For a rookie DB to have the kind of rookie season Harris had, the DB's equivalent if you will, I think Revis would have needed 10 INT's and a slew of PD's, I think that is the equivalent of what David Harris did at ILB in only 9 Starts

This kid would have led the league in tackles if you average his numbers out over 16 Games, and his five sacks were more than any linebacler in the TOP 35 for tackles other than Urlacher who also had 5 {in 16 Starts}, and that includes OLB's in the TOP 35 for tackles as well

Harris had a GREAT rookie season, Great by any standards, Great by veteran standards, Revis would have needed an Asante Samuel/Antonio Cromartie type of season to match what Harris did at ILB

JMO Woodside, I like Revis and I love his upside, but he wasn't in David's class as a rookie
    Some fair points Ham. Revis may never be a guy who gets tons of interceptions. However, he sticks like glue to his man, is as physical a tackler as any cb in the league, and was highly succesful as a rookie and more than held his own against the best receivers in the game last year (TO, Braylon Edwards, and whatever that guy's name is on the team that cheats twice). His ability to go on an island and tie down the other teams best receiver greatly improves the overall defense and makes other things possible. When he is done, he could be as good if not better than Aaron Glenn was for the Jets. In my book that's a hell of pick at pick 16. Tangini did a great job in signing him for the extra year as well given the cost of corners at that caliber on the open market.

If VG and Keller as good as Revis I'll be thrilled. I'm concerned that with VG its going to be feast or famine and I don't know if he is an impact player in the mold of Demarcus Ware, John Abraham (when he was on the field and not playing the run). All I can say is that this preseason is going to be fun to watch.

Jets Insider VIP
    Formerly RidgeJetsFan

So far so good for Harris.

Let's see if he continues his impressive performance across all 16 games in his first year as a starter. Stamina could be a factor (as is the case with most first-time starters), but my bet says Harris is a beast in '08 and beyond.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JiF View Post
    I havent figured out if David Harris is one of those players that was just "pro-ready" and came into the league at the level you cant expect to see him play at for awhile. Or if he is one of those guys that has a ton of room to grow as a player.

If its the later and he is only going to improve in leaps and bounds like most rookies do, he is going to be a very special player. Its so hard to predict HOF for a player this young. You have to sustain top 3-5 status in the league for at least a decade to really have any consideration.
    So you're saying Dr. Death David "the Hitman" Harris, Awesome Kick-Ass LB #52 is HoF lock?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post

This kid would have led the league in tackles if you average his numbers out over 16 Games, and his five sacks were more than any linebacker in the TOP 35 for tackles other than Urlacher who also had 5 {in 16 Starts}, and that includes OLB's in the TOP 35 for tackles as well

And i have to respectfully disagree with you.

I think Revis plays a position that the numbers are very difficult to rack up, and Harris played on a team with no offense, so his numbers were bloated . Revis played great against some HOF recievers last yeat, man to man.

This is not to take anythin away from Harris. But at this point i am just as excited about Revis as Harris. And realize I am in the minority.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Boynton Beach Jets View Post
    Nice post. I 100% agree. We were all saying the same thing about Vilma when he bursted onto the scene and we all how that turned out.

I'm not gonna jump on the David Harris #1 LB in the league train until he gets a full season under his belt. With as physical as he is he needs to prove another important aspect for any football player- Durability. If he can remain healthy and not experience any "letdown" he will be THE STUD in our D for many years to come.

Just being skeptical. I do think it'll pan out

All Pro
    As Ham admits its too early to predict but he's certainly flashed.

Part of his gaudy numbers are just that the rest of our defense was that bad.

His sacks last year surprised EVERYONE last year, including Mangini and Harris himself. If he can keep that up as a (are you kidding me) ILB in the 3-4, then he could really really be special.

It makes sense with his power speed ratio along with his tremendous instincts and football IQ. But even Victor Hobson had decent sack numbers one year so this is the aspect of his game that will be most difficult to maintain over a season and a career.

Hall Of Fame
    Didn't we do a whole thread on this just a few days ago?

http://www.jetsinsider.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=172008

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by BRONX JET View Post
    And i have to respectfully disagree with you.

I think Revis plays a position that the numbers are very difficult to rack up, and Harris played on a team with no offense, so his numbers were bloated . Revis played great against some HOF recievers last yeat, man to man.

This is not to take anythin away from Harris. But at this point i am just as excited about Revis as Harris. And realize I am in the minority.
    x2

A big part of that as well is the fact that you simply don't SEE the cornerback half the time on TV, and even if you're at the game live, he's not in the middle of the action on every play like a ILB is.

Fact is, in this league it's ridiculously harder to find an elite CB than it is an elite linebacker (especially an I/MLB), and on top of that you simply can't play the position better as a rookie than Revis did, it's impossible.

Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by David Harris View Post
    As Ham admits its too early to predict but he's certainly flashed.

Part of his gaudy numbers are just that the rest of our defense was that bad.

His sacks last year surprised EVERYONE last year, including Mangini and Harris himself. If he can keep that up as a (are you kidding me) ILB in the 3-4, then he could really really be special.

It makes sense with his power speed ratio along with his tremendous instincts and football IQ. But even Victor Hobson had decent sack numbers one year so this is the aspect of his game that will be most difficult to maintain over a season and a career.
    On the other hand Vilma's sack numbers were a Joke in the 3-4 or the 4-3..

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Savage69 View Post
    On the other hand Vilma's sack numbers were a Joke in the 3-4 or the 4-3..
    Quick, name one Cover 2 MLB that's ever had high sack numbers.

In regards to the 3-4, you can probably count the number of times that Sutton sent him after the QB in two years on one hand.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe W. Namath View Post
    David Harris will be the #1 rated linebacker in the NFL after this season.
    You mean the #1 rated LB on this Jets forum.....