Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OT: Satellite Vs. Cable - Need Opinions

All League

OT: Satellite Vs. Cable - Need Opinions

I am totally fed up with Cablevision....I have the bundle where I have internet, phone and cable....I initially had the internet and cable, and they talked me into the phone (which I love) by promising me I would get the introductory cost LIFETIME....Well, my wife showed me the bill and they jacked up the cost....Also they took away several "basic" channels which now need a box to view (I have a small tv in my kitchen and don't want a box there), AND my cable signal constantly freezes and "tiles"....They say it's in the outside line, but whenever I schedule a repair, they send out a tech (sub contractor) in a small pick-up truck who tells me they need a boom truck to get to the overhead line (this has happened THREE times)....Needless to say, nobody ever comes back.

So....bye bye Cablevision.

My question is (after the rant) which is better, Dish Network or Direct TV?....And has anyone had experience with Vonage....I remember being told something about how cable phone is better for some reason because of some features Vonage doesn't offer, or some capability it doesn't have....I can't remember....Any advice would be appreciated, I know I can get it here!

Thanks in advance.

All League
    FIOS would solve your problem.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post

AND my cable signal constantly freezes and "tiles"....They say it's in the outside line, but whenever I schedule a repair, they send out a tech (sub contractor) in a small pick-up truck who tells me they need a boom truck to get to the overhead line (this has happened THREE times)....Needless to say, nobody ever comes back.
    I have both cable and Direct TV, but I am getting rid of cable for this reason.

From what I understand, they are trying to squeeze HD channels through a system that does not have the capacity to do so.

Everytime I call them, they say they are "working to improve and update" capacity levels for HD stations.

Never had this problem with Direct TV.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    directv has nfl ticket, dish doesn't.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by PatsFanTX View Post
    I have both cable and Direct TV, but I am getting rid of cable for this reason.

From what I understand, they are trying to squeeze HD channels through a system that does not have the capacity to do so.

Everytime I call them, they say they are "working to improve and update" capacity levels for HD stations.

Never had this problem with Direct TV.
    You hae Direct TV so that you can watch Jets games every sunday.

All League
    If you want NFL Ticket that DirectTV is the way to go. If you want the whole Cable/Phone/Internet thing then FIOS is a good alternative to iO. But you'd be losing channels like News12 and MOJO. You wold get the NFL network ESPNU and other channels though.

Hall Of Fame
    Sunday Ticket = Directv = No Brainer.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike D View Post
    Sunday Ticket = Directv = No Brainer.
    If gets the Jets already, and doesn't have a fantasy team its not really worth it.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by Jbro22 View Post
    If gets the Jets already, and doesn't have a fantasy team its not really worth it.
    I would go crazy without Sunday Ticket and I get New York CBS.

Banned
    DirecTV for the following reasons:

1. The best DVR on the market with the easiest UI and fastest navigational speed.

2. The most HD programming (this will change over time).

3. NFL Sunday Ticket (exclusive to DirecTV). Get every NFL game each week plus split screen and interactive features.

4. Fabulous reception, limited scaling and compression (cable's dirty little secret).

5. Very infrequent outages (my cable seems to go out once a month, DirecTV goes out once every two years and only during a big thunderstorm).

SAR I

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

1. The best DVR on the market with the easiest UI and fastest navigational speed.

3. NFL Sunday Ticket (exclusive to DirecTV). Get every NFL game each week plus split screen and interactive features.

4. Fabulous reception, limited scaling and compression (cable's dirty little secret).

5. Very infrequent outages (my cable seems to go out once a month, DirecTV goes out once every two years and only during a big thunderstorm).

SAR I
    You know when theres nothing to do but watch TV.

I think he is looking for an alternative to phone and internet too. Thats the only reason I said Fios. I was also under the impression that FIOS had the best picture. Is that wrong SAR?

Banned
    Been a DirecTV customer for 5 years now and can honestly say that I will never go back to cable TV in its current state of service/cost. Obviously, I live in Florida and must have the NFL Ticket to catch every Jets game, but even beyond that - I'm a very satisfied customer. My outlaws have the Dish and their choice of channels (TV, PPV and music) is much more limited at a comparable cost.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SAR I View Post

SAR I
    were you in a cablevision or time warner market? or other before direct tv?

Veteran
    DIRECTV is the way the go, I have verizon phone and dsl packaged with directv into one bill which saves about $25-30 a month through verizon.

All Pro
    Verizon:

Cable:

Go Fiber. Nothing is faster then the speed of light. Cable still uses copper wires from pole to house, which is still RF. Dish, well, I won't even waste my time on its cons. Verizon removes the copper wire from pole and replaces it with fiber optic cabling. No signal loss at all.

And FYI, as with cable, when you spilt it throughout the house, you will need amplifiers to make up for multiple splits.

Verizon fiber does not need amplifiers, and to prove it, I have 2 8 way splitters in my house off 1 line. No loss in quality anywhere in my house.

I have 8 lines on each floor of my house, minus 2 to goto my basement and detached garage.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead View Post
    Verizon:

Cable:

Go Fiber. Nothing is faster then the speed of light. Cable still uses copper wires from pole to house, which is still RF. Dish, well, I won't even waste my time on its cons. Verizon removes the copper wire from pole and replaces it with fiber optic cabling. No signal loss at all.

And FYI, as with cable, when you spilt it throughout the house, you will need amplifiers to make up for multiple splits.

Verizon fiber does not need amplifiers, and to prove it, I have 2 8 way splitters in my house off 1 line. No loss in quality anywhere in my house.

I have 8 lines on each floor of my house, minus 2 to goto my basement and detached garage.
    Had FIOS for a while I can vouch for the quality. Pops got rid of it for no reason. Then again, he still uses a TV with a dial on it.

All League
    DirecTV is the best.

Try a search for a thread on this topic for more opinions, etc. It's been discussed as lately as a month or two ago.

Practice Squad
    I've been a DirecTV subscriber for 7 years now and love it.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by LIDeadHead View Post
    Verizon:

Cable:

Until I can run fiber through my entire house, it makes no sense to go with FIOS (IMO)....There is still copper from the interface, to inside the house, to the splitters....Kinda defeats the purpose, no?

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by crazyeffinjetsfan View Post
    Until I can run fiber through my entire house, it makes no sense to go with FIOS (IMO)....There is still copper from the interface, to inside the house, to the splitters....Kinda defeats the purpose, no?
    I don't really know how all the fiber optic stuff works, but There was a noticeable difference in picture when we had FIOS.