Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should there be a RB competition as well? (merged)

Should there be a RB competition as well? (merged)

I wonder why he's not starting, he's clearly more talented than Jones, quicker and faster too. I'm not so sure about those who think he can't hold up to the rigors of a starting back, I saw him play at FSU and he was mainly a north south runner there. He has Brian Westbrook type talent, I for one want to see this guy showcased more, even if it means splitting carries.

Banned
    I love how you start a thread about someone and just jump in referring to him as "he" assuming everyone will know who you are talking about.

There doesn't need to be a RB competition, because "he" is already the #1 RB on the team for the offensive packages design for his skill set and abilities. So, the difference between "him" starting and not starting all depends upon which offensive package they send out on to the field first.

There is more to the RB position than the cut and dry concept of having one starter. In fact there aren't any teams left that have all of their offensive packages designed around 1 RB. Even the best RBs in the league come off the field for certain packages.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Integrity I think we all know who HE is talking about. No need to be an ass.

All League
    NO Leon is not an every down back. He will be a change of pace back and return kicks he can also line up in various positions on offense. But a 300 + carry back he is not. He is too valuable in many different areas than to take that away from him and have him be a full time back anyway. Field Position is one of the most important things if not the most important and Leon is top 3 in the NFL at generating very good field position for the Jets.

All League
    jeez..in todays NFL there aren't too many surefire starters anyway...it would be a silly waste of time to think about it..

in some packages Leon will be the better option and in other Jones wil be....and the other 25 RB's the team signed will be able to spell both of them....

no need to really concern ourselves with who is named "starter"

Banned
    Leon Washington > Thomas Jones

It's not even close.

For all the TJ-lovers out there who argue that the only reason Leon averaged more than a yard better YPC last year (5.0 versus Jones's 3.6) was b/c Leon was only used here and there and got fluke yardage on third downs and draw plays take a look at this fun fact:

Leon had two games last season where he had more than 10 carries. What was his ypc in those two games? 6.0

Leon should be getting the bulk of the carries or at least 50/50 split. Mangini is an idiot if he doesn't do this.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrity28 View Post
    I love how you start a thread about someone and just jump in referring to him as "he" assuming everyone will know who you are talking about.

There doesn't need to be a RB competition, because "he" is already the #1 RB on the team for the offensive packages design for his skill set and abilities. So, the difference between "him" starting and not starting all depends upon which offensive package they send out on to the field first.

There is more to the RB position than the cut and dry concept of having one starter. In fact there aren't any teams left that have all of their offensive packages designed around 1 RB. Even the best RBs in the league come off the field for certain packages.

"He" still didn't get as many carries as Jones. The feeling may be that he's just not rugged enough to withstand the brunt of 20 plus carries a game, but I think that Leon is short but not small by any means and that he is indeed capable of starting.

Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post

Some people love to point out minutia and ignore bigger issues, it was an obvious omission by me, but he knew exactly who I was referring to... what can you do?

Quote Originally Posted by piney View Post
    jeez..in todays NFL there aren't too many surefire starters anyway...it would be a silly waste of time to think about it..

in some packages Leon will be the better option and in other Jones wil be....and the other 25 RB's the team signed will be able to spell both of them....

no need to really concern ourselves with who is named "starter"

Well then I would like him to get more carries then Jones then even if you don't want to call that starting.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashmouth View Post
    NO Leon is not an every down back. He will be a change of pace back and return kicks he can also line up in various positions on offense. But a 300 + carry back he is not. He is too valuable in many different areas than to take that away from him and have him be a full time back anyway. Field Position is one of the most important things if not the most important and Leon is top 3 in the NFL at generating very good field position for the Jets.

Leon is a tad under 5.9 and a very solid 202, he certainly has the girth and the lower body strength of a much bigger back, no doubt in my mind that he can handle that load. At FSU he was an every down back and his runs were the up the middle variety. If Leon was built more like Lorenzo Booker then I would agree with you, but Leon is a very strong runner. Jones is very strong too, but I bet you Leon has as much leg strength to push a pile as Jones does. Not to slight Jones who I think is a terrific hammer and a guy who can grind a defense to submission, but Leon is just a superior back in my opinion.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by VincenzoTestaverde View Post
    Leon Washington > Thomas Jones

It's not even close.

For all the TJ-lovers out there who argue that the only reason Leon averaged more than a yard better YPC last year (5.0 versus Jones's 3.6) was b/c Leon was only used here and there and got fluke yardage on third downs and draw plays take a look at this fun fact:

Leon had two games last season where he had more than 10 carries. What was his ypc in those two games? 6.0

Leon should be getting the bulk of the carries or at least 50/50 split. Mangini is an idiot if he doesn't do this.
    They are completely different types of backs. I attribute Washington's superior YPC to his elusiveness. Behind that crappy OL, he was the only one quick enough to create his own holes. With improved line play, Jones should be able to show his strengths this year.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Leon is a tad under 5.9 and a very solid 202, he certainly has the girth and the lower body strength of a much bigger back, no doubt in my mind that he can handle that load. At FSU he was an every down back and his runs were the up the middle variety. If Leon was built more like Lorenzo Booker then I would agree with you, but Leon is a very strong runner. Jones is very strong too, but I bet you Leon has as much leg strength to push a pile as Jones does. Not to slight Jones who I think is a terrific hammer and a guy who can grind a defense to submission, but Leon is just a superior back in my opinion.
    And the best scenario is using Jones as the 15 to 20 carry back and Leon as the change of pace back who can also do 2 other things, catch passes and return kicks. I would much rather see Leon doing multiple things and keeping teams off balance than carrying the load.

durability.

Quote Originally Posted by Smashmouth View Post
    You don't have to be an every down back to be a starter.

He can still split a fair few carries but he should be getting the majority. It's a complete disgrace that he got as little as he did last season.

just stating the obvious, neither back had a lot of daylight. hopefully they will be able to run behind at least one hal fof the oline.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    Do you really want to go down this road Nancy?

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Slikmojet View Post
    Some people love to point out minutia and ignore bigger issues, it was an obvious omission by me, but he knew exactly who I was referring to... what can you do?
    Minutia... yeah... like the guy's name... minor details right? You and SBIII are apparently cut from the same diaper cloth. I only mentioned it because there might be young, casual Jets fans reading the thread that don't spend every waking minute waiting to read the next SBIII or Slikmo thread... if you are going to start a thread about someone, mention their name, if for no other reason to better establish your own point of view. That's all I'm saying... now you girls can go back to blowing kisses to each other.

Quote Originally Posted by Integrity28 View Post
    Minutia... yeah... like the guy's name... minor details right? You and SBIII are apparently cut from the same diaper cloth. I only mentioned it because there might be young, casual Jets fans reading the thread that don't spend every waking minute waiting to read the next SBIII or Slikmo thread... if you are going to start a thread about someone, mention their name, if for no other reason to better establish your own point of view. That's all I'm saying... now you girls can go back to blowing kisses to each other.
    relax much?

why not just throw on some gloves meet somewhere and kick the sh-t out of eachother?

Banned
    I think the last few years have proven that having two good RBs is vital to a team's success in the running game. I think the days of one feature back are over.