Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jenkins "down" to 360 lbs

Jenkins "down" to 360 lbs

THE THIN MAN: Mammoth NT Kris Jenkins checked into camp at 359 pounds, which is svelte for him. At the end of last season with the Panthers, he weighed more than 390pounds. Asked the last time his weight was down to 359, he said, "Long time. I'll just say it's a long time."

There is some financial motivation. There was a $500,000 workout bonus for the offseason and a $250,000 weight clause. He will be weighed 10 times, receiving $25,000 each time he makes his prescribed weight.
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...n_field-2.html

He weighed almost 400 pounds when he was with the Panthers, so i guess you could say that he's "down" to 360 now. I hope he's around 350 once the new season starts.

Just watched SNY's Sportsnight and they had a five minute feature on Jenkins. Already Jenkins is being looked at as the leader of the "D." Apparently he has thrown Mangold around like a rag doll and is causing havoc on the field. I love Mangold as much as the next Jets fan and realize how impressive it is for an opposing defender to be able to throw him around.

All I can say is wow! Go Kris Jenkins!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post

Just watched SNY's Sportsnight and they had a five minute feature on Jenkins. Already Jenkins is being looked at as the leader of the "D." Apparently he has thrown Mangold around like a rag doll and is causing havoc on the field. I love Mangold as much as the next Jets fan and realize how impressive it is for an opposing defender to be able to throw him around.

All I can say is wow! Go Kris Jenkins!!!!!
    ... and don't underestimate how much this will help Nick Mangold, nothing he faces in the actual games will be as tough as what he's facing in practice every day, the games will seem easy by comparison, like wrestling a grizzly bear all week then wrestling a simple gorilla on sunday's, its not easy to wrestle a gorilla, but its a heck of a lot easier than that 360 Pound Grizzly bear you have to wrestle all week

Even Wilfat will seem easy by comparison, or at worse no more difficult than what he sees every day

Quote Originally Posted by Green Jets & Ham View Post
    ... and don't underestimate how much this will help Nick Mangold, nothing he faces in the actual games will be as tough as what he's facing in practice every day, the games will seem easy by comparison, like wrestling a grizzly bear all week then wrestling a simple gorilla on sunday's, its not easy to wrestle a gorilla, but its a heck of a lot easier than that 360 Pound Grizzly bear you have to wrestle all week

Even Wilfat will seem easy by comparison, or at worse no more difficult than what he sees every day
    Right there with ya Ham. The only thing that worries me is that taking on Jenkins everyday can lead to injury. Mangold is too good and our back up plan to his position does not overly impress me..................

Banned
    What a pleasent surprise the Kris Jenkis move was from Mikey T.

He is my favorite aquisition by far. I sure hope all this early hype translates to the field.

I have said it in many threads already about him. He is the nucleus. The difference between us being top 5 and straight doodoo.

Quote Originally Posted by JiF View Post
    What a pleasent surprise the Kris Jenkis move was from Mikey T.

He is my favorite aquisition by far. I sure hope all this early hype translates to the field.

I have said it in many threads already about him. He is the nucleus. The difference between us being top 5 and straight doodoo.
    It's only hype if he's not producing. Only three days into camp and anything can happen but it definitly a great start. It sounds like he is a beast and tearing it up

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by copernicus View Post
    It's only hype if he's not producing. Only three days into camp and anything can happen but it definitly a great start. It sounds like he is a beast and tearing it up
    Yeah but cop, we talkin practice...

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by JiF View Post
    He is the nucleus. The difference between us being top 5 and straight doodoo.
    Agree 100%. If he does what he's been brought over for, we are going to be a great defense. He's the key.

All the TC reports I've read say he's ragdolling the OL.

Banned
    I think it was John Gruden who said he popped a cork and celebrated when he heard Kris Jenkins was traded out of their division, because they simply could not figure out how to block that beast

I'm paraphrasing, it was something to that effect and I think it was Gruden?

Anyway, just look at Kris Jenkins, JUST LOOK AT THAT MAN, that man is an interior offensive lineman's worst nightmare, its like Mount Washington, this is another Ted Washington, if you're an interior OL you have trouble sleeping the night before you have to engage this animal because you know tomorrow is three hours of hell

The same way Kevin Mawae admitted he never enjoyed facing Ted Washington, that was always a game he dreaded

Same deal with Jenkins, nobody wants to engage this 360 Pound beast .. would you?
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-27-2008 at 12:18 PM.

Hall Of Fame

along the same lines, it will help brick to practice against pass rushers with more ability thancoleman or thomas. now he gets gholston or pace in the mix now and then

Hall Of Fame
    I think it was John Gruden who said he popped a cork and celebrated when he heard Kris Jenkins was traded out of their division, because they simply could not figure out how to block that beast

I'm paraphrasing, it was something to that effect and I think it was Gruden?

Anyway, just look at Kris Jenkins, JUST LOOK AT THAT MAN, that man is an interior offensive lineman's worst nightmare, its like Mount Washington, this is another Ted Washington, if you're an interior OL you have trouble sleeping the night before you have to engage this animal because you know tomorrow is three hours of hell

The same way Kevin Mawae admitted he never enjoyed facing Ted Washington, that was always a game he dreaded

Same deal with Jenkins, nobody wants to engage this 360 Pound beast .. would you?
    Ham, at his best Jenkins is better than Ted Washington. Washington was the same type of immovable object in the run game, but Jenkins is actually a pass rusher as well. Jenkins has racked up 19 sacks in the 5 healthy years he played and had seasons of 7 and 5 sacks; over his first 5 seasons, Washington had 11, and in his 17 year career never had more than 4.5

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Babe View Post

i love it when ham bolds his posts and makes the text red...that means he means business.
    I'll tell you this much, if I knew I had to line up across from Kris Jenkins tomorrow and bang heads with that behemoth for three hours, I'd need a Quaalude to fall asleep tonite

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by DaBallhawk View Post
    http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo...n_field-2.html

He weighed almost 400 pounds when he was with the Panthers, so i guess you could say that he's "down" to 360 now. I hope he's around 350 once the new season starts.
    Whats the difference between 360 and 350 when your that big??? The guy takes a dump and he probably loses 10 pounds.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by sec.101row23 View Post
    Whats the difference between 360 and 350 when your that big??? The guy takes a dump and he probably loses 10 pounds.
    that could be a $25,000 dump

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by Jets Babe View Post
    i love it when ham bolds his posts and makes the text red...that means he means business.
    Don't forget about the judicious use of ALL CAPS.

Someday he's gonna use red, bold AND all caps on a few words.

And if he ever italicized those same words? Well, I don't even wanna know....

All League
    If Jenkins pans out, as I expect he will, he will be a HUGE (no pun) difference maker. I think Jenkins may prove to be our best off-season aquisition and that's saying something because Faneca is another excellent pick up.

Banned
    newyorkjets.com

Nose Is a Dirty Job – and Jenkins Loves It

By Eric Allen

Senior Managing Editor
    7-26-08

For most of his life, Kris Jenkins has been in the middle. Even when he picked up two letters playing high school basketball in Ypsilanti, Mich., Jenkins was stationed inside the paint at power forward.

“I was in the middle — no point guard. You have to know your limitations,” the Jets' nose tackle said after this morning’s training camp practice.

“I’ve never done the pretty positions. I’ve always been a grunt. I take pride in being a grunt.”

Now in his eighth NFL season, Jenkins has adjusted well to his new team and his new surroundings. He wears a green jersey at practice instead of that familiar Carolina blue he sported during his seven-year tenure with the Panthers.

“I think I got comfortable and got used to having that jersey on all the time,” he says. “Sometimes I have to take a step back and look down at my pants. I’m not used to wearing green.”

Teammates have taken a liking towards Jenkins, a 29-year-old with an engaging personality. He is a jokester, a man who came to New York in February with no pretense. From the very moment he walked in the locker room, he was himself.

“He is always playing, always joking,” said CB Darrelle Revis. “He jokes on other guys. It’s just funny. Nobody takes it personal — it’s just how he is. Sometimes we might be in the huddle and he’ll say a joke to keep us just motivated, live and ready to go.”

On Friday, Jenkins spotted DE Shaun Ellis with a reporter and decided to give Ellis a little water-bottle bath. He often lightens the mood and is know to break into a jig — to a song on the practice field or without music in the lunch line.

“He’s a joker. You can’t get mad at him when he’s talking because he’s a bigger guy,” says S Kerry Rhodes. “You just have to take it.”

When asked about his comedic exploits, Jenkins offered a deadpanned response.

“If somebody sets themselves up, I might crack a joke every blue moon," he said. "But usually I just like to sit in a corner, take a nap whenever I can and just get my energy back.”

Perhaps he does take a nap every now and again because Jenkins never seems void of energy. While many observers analyze every throw Kellen Clemens and Chad Pennington make, they’re missing out on a great battle between Jenkins (6’4”, 359) and C Nick Mangold (6’4, 300).

“He’s got just amazing physical strength and a quickness you wouldn’t expect out of him,” Mangold said. “But his strength is a huge asset for him.”

The Jets' move to the 3-4 front has meant a transition from one-gapping to two-gapping for Jenkins. He is responsible for more space and has to read before making his move.

“You still can fire off the ball, but you have to see what’s coming first before you can do that,” he said

There are a lot of weapons in the Jenkins arsenal. It’s easy to say he’s just a big dude, but he’s got some uncanny athleticism.

“I think he’s doing a good job,” Mangini said. “He’s working at it. What’s nice is when his hands aren’t inside and he doesn’t have the proper leverage, there are a lot of other things he can rely on to not get moved.”

If you watch Jenkins play after play, it’s hard to come away unimpressed with his footwork. More than a decade ago at Belleville High School, the then-270-pound Jenkins competed in the 400-meter run, 300 hurdles, shot put and discuss.

During today’s practice, he gracefully pursued running plays that went away from him and moved adeptly toward the boundary.

“I’ve never seen a guy that big and tall move like he moves,” Revis said. “It’s just crazy what God creates. I’m happy he’s on our team because the guy moves, he holds up guys on run plays, and he’s a man amongst boys.”

Expect the man to see a lot of double-teams this season. It will be an awfully large chore for any center to block him one-on-one, so that means more chips from the guards. That will result in a difficult path for those O-linemen attempting to reach linebackers like David Harris.

“You get used to that on the line," Jenkins said. "If you start doing what you’re supposed to do, you get rewarded by getting double-teamed and screens and traps and whams and different things — I know I’m on the right track. It doesn’t always feel the greatest physically, but at least I’m starting to understand what I’m supposed to do.”

Jenkins, a three-time Pro Bowl selection who has registered 290 tackles and 20.5 sacks in his career, has been somewhat surprised by the media attention.

“I’m not a receiver, I’m not built to be a quarterback. I’m usually surprised that every day I’ve been coming over to speak to you all. I’m so used to just walking in after practice,” he said. “It just comes with it. I take pride in doing the dirty work.”

The grunt will get his chance to play the point this season. Jenkins, a playful kid at heart, is the epicenter of the Jets’ defense and the unit’s success will begin with him.
    Last edited by Green Jets & Ham; 07-27-2008 at 01:08 PM.

Hall of Fame
    Charter JI Member

... ... LOL ... thanks for the good laugh hammer !! ...

... gotta love "the point guard" ...

l_j_r

Rookie
    I'm stoked to see him play for the Jets. Seems as though he has a chip on his shoulder and motivation to prove he is still a bad ass.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
    Don't forget about the judicious use of ALL CAPS.

Someday he's gonna use red, bold AND all caps on a few words.

And if he ever italicized those same words? Well, I don't even wanna know....
    Red, Bold, Caps and Italics are all fine tools and not to be sneezed at for underscoring staements such as "brings into question all of a poster's other opinions" as one example...

Just remember that SIZE counts too