Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dustin Keller-TE-Jets lookin good (merged Keller threads)

Practice Squad

Dustin Keller-TE-Jets lookin good (merged Keller threads)

Dustin Keller-TE-Jets Jul. 30 - 9:27 pm et

The Newark Star-Ledger reports that Jets rookie TE Dustin Keller has been "quite active" in the team's offense and is already starting to "get it."
    Said Keller: "Everything makes a lot of sense to me now. I understand why we're doing what so I can move a lot faster out there." The paper expects Keller to be a weapon, lining up all over the field. We think he will be used similar to a third receiver in the slot.
    Source: Newark Star-Ledger
    Related: Chris Baker

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

I've got man-love for the guy already (no homo). Really excited to see what he can add to our offense

saw him today

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzsaw View Post
    I've got man-love for the guy already (no homo). Really excited to see what he can add to our offense
    He looked like a seasoned veteran... he has great hands and simply catches most balls thrown his way... He will be a deep threat this season!!

All League
    a jet TE who might make some noise? what a concept.

Practice Squad
    All reports about Keller have all been extremely positive.. from beat report to our own JI insiders.. Mismatches ..mismatches ,,,mismatches... That all that we
    hear.. Lets hope it translates to the field

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by kukirojas View Post

The Newark Star-Ledger reports that Jets rookie TE Dustin Keller has been "quite active" in the team's offense and is already starting to "get it."
    Said Keller: "Everything makes a lot of sense to me now. I understand why we're doing what so I can move a lot faster out there." The paper expects Keller to be a weapon, lining up all over the field. We think he will be used similar to a third receiver in the slot.

Man, whoda thunk it? That's the first time I've ever heard of that, ever.

Imagine in a "big" formation or goal line situation, the use of Franks, Baker, Cotchery, Keller, and Caulcrick?
    Last edited by GreenJoe; 07-31-2008 at 12:39 AM. Reason: Had the thought about the "big" formation

Veteran
    This is the rest of the article in the Ledger:

A Look at the Rookies
    Posted by Bob Bullock July 30, 2008 8:16PM
    Categories: Camp News
    Let's take a look at the rookie draft picks of Gang Green and how each of them is progressing through the first week of training camp.

Top pick Vernon Gholston looks to be struggling heavily, according to all accounts. Gholston admits that the transition to the NFL AND trying to learn a new position is a very difficult.

"It's a new position for me, playing on my feet primarily, reading coverage, reading the receiver's release and all those things. It may just take a little while," he said.

When asked if he was swimming in all of the grueling details, Gholston admitted to be "drowning". Remember, Gholston missed practically all of the OTA's because he was not able to report until his class graduated. That means not only is he learning a ton of information, he is also behind everyone else.

I wouldn't look for a huge impact from Gholston right away, but he should improve as the season goes on. He will most likely only be used on passing downs for the first few weeks.

Dustin Keller, the other first round pick, has been quite active on the offensive side of the ball. He has made some nice grabs and came up with the "play of the day" in today's practice, according to our own Dave Hutchinson. Unlike Gholston, Keller is already starting to "get it".

"I'm excited," he said. "Everything is just starting to come together. Everything makes a lot of sense to me now. I understand why we're doing what so I can move a lot faster out there."

I look for this kid to be a gigantic weapon for the Jets, lining up at all different positions on the field. He can be a Wayne Chrebet with more speed!

Another rookie that could make an impact right away is fourth round pick Dwight Lowery. The cornerback is looking sharp early in camp and could challenge for quite a bit of playing time. Dan Leberfeld has pronounced Lowery as the star of camp to this point.

"Lowery slipped in the draft due to his lack of great speed, but he clearly makes up for it with his instincts, intelligence and ball skills," wrote Leberfeld.

While I look for Justin Miller to win the starting cornerback spot opposite Darrelle Revis when the season starts, I believe Lowery will be the nickel or dime back right away. Drew Coleman and Lowery give the team lots of depth at the cornerback spot. It looks like Ahmad Carroll and David Barrett could be battling it out for a roster spot.

The other three picks have had quiet camps to this point, although wide receiver Marcus Henry has made a few nice red-zone grabs, which is where the team will use him the most.

Quarterback Erik Ainge hasn't thrown too many passes due to an injured finger and offensive lineman Nate Garner is a project. Ainge will be "clipboard man" this season and Garner will end up on the practice squad, most likely.

So far, it looks like at least a few rookies will have a positive impact on the Jets roster right away; especially when Gholston gets up to speed.

All Pro
    Nice to see some of the rookies may make an immediate impact on the team. Lord knows we need a ton of help!!

Hall Of Fame
    Semi-OT: My friend told me I looked like Dustin Keller.

Quote Originally Posted by hatnlvr View Post
    Nice to see some of the rookies may make an immediate impact on the team. Lord knows we need a ton of help!!
    Gholston, Keller and Lowery will all be getting major minutes this season. Maybe even starting by the end of the year due to their good play.

The other three are more likely practice squad material that make the full roster if injuries occur.

All Pro

HE BETTER LOOK GOOD!!! jets traded to get him! The jets are going to be a scary team IF the QB doesn't ************ IT UP!!! whoever thats going to be...

JetsInsider.com Legend
    If Keller can run 4 yards, turn and catch a floater he'll rack up 80 receptions as TE this year with 2 TDs.

Quote Originally Posted by jeT.MAC View Post
    HE BETTER LOOK GOOD!!! jets traded to get him! The jets are going to be a scary team IF the QB doesn't ************ IT UP!!! whoever thats going to be...
    The Jets are looking reasonably strong at every position except QB. Which sucks because that's the most important position on the field.

All League
    I can't wait for this season. So many great stories and great pickups for this team. I really think that the team will be leaps and bounds better...

Banned

I saw Keller at the Jets practice today and he looked good. This is why I'm hoping we keep Baker and pay him. Keller should be used as a slot receiver or wideout while Baker and Franks stay at the O-line and protect Pennington. That would be nice.

All League

Post Article: Rookie tight end Dustin Keller wows the competition at N.Y. Jets camp

http://www.nj.com/jets/ledger/index....810.xml&coll=1

Rookie tight end Dustin Keller wows the competition at N.Y. Jets camp

Thursday, July 31, 2008 BY DAVE HUTCHINSON
    Star-Ledger Staff

HEMPSTEAD, N.Y. -- It's one thing for a rookie to get praise from his general manager and coaches. After all, they played a part in drafting him, and his success, or lack thereof, is a reflection on them.

But it's quite another to get the stamp of approval from a three-time Pro Bowler who plays the same position and is competing with the rookie for playing time.

Veteran tight end Bubba Franks, who has made a career of working the middle of the field and catching touchdowns from Brett Favre in Green Bay, gushed yesterday about the potential of rookie tight end Dustin Keller, saying he has a chance to be special.

Keller, the 30th overall pick, made the play of the day in practice yesterday at the Jets' training complex, pulling in a 30-yard pass down the left sideline from quarterback Kellen Clemens, despite being interfered with by safety Cameron Worrell. It was the type of play the Jets hope to see often this season.

"The kid is showing some sparks," said Franks, a ninth-year pro who has 256 career receptions for 2,300 yards and 32 touchdowns. "It's pretty impressive to see him out there running his routes. He's fast. It's going to be very interesting to see him play during the season.

"He brings a lot (to the table). I enjoy watching him. I remember when I was that age coming out here. You're trying to prove a point. I think he's starting to get it a little bit. He's improving every day. He already has the signs of being a great player."

The Jets surprised many when they traded up into the first round to nab Keller, who had 142 career catches for 1,882 yards and 16 touchdowns at Purdue. The Jets view the 6-2, 248-pounder as a playmaker in the mold of the Colts' Dallas Clark, a tight end who can take advantage of mismatches with linebackers and big safeties because of his speed and athleticism.

"He's doing a good job and working hard," Clemens said. "He'll help us out this year."

Keller has lined up all over the field and said he's finally starting to pick up the Jets' offense after struggling during minicamp. He said he sees how he'll be able to use his superior speed against linebackers and safeties to stretch the field.

"I'm excited," he said. "Everything is just starting to come together. Everything makes a lot of sense to me now. I understand why we're doing what so I can move a lot faster out there.

"I'm just really happy where I'm at. When I first got here and they were throwing a lot of stuff at us, my head was just spinning. A lot of people were like, 'I thought this guy was fast?' But I was out there not sure about my routes. Now everything is going a lot smoother."

Keller said Franks and veteran Chris Baker have been a big help.

"Every single rep I take in practice, I get critiqued by two good veterans who have been around for a long time," he said. "It's great input. I feel like I'm getting a step up on everybody else."

Fact is, tight end is quietly emerging as one of the deepest positions on the team. In addition to Keller and Franks, third-year pro Jason Pociask is having an unexpectedly solid camp and Baker (back injury) is content and should be coming off the physically unable to perform list soon.

Even though Keller and Franks are mainly receivers, Pociack is primarily a blocker who can play on the line or in the backfield and Baker is an all-around talent.

"Each guy kind of brings a different dimension to the field," said Baker, adding that he's feeling as good as he has in months and is close to returning. "It's kind of exciting to be a part of and help make the position itself be a core strength of the team."

ve Hutchinson may be reached at

dhutchinson@starledger.com

Hall Of Fame
    I still haven't recovered from pulling my lat muscle patting myslef on the back for being the only one to predict him to be the breakout player of ours during training camp in Buzzsaw's thread before practices started.

I've loved this pick ever since I watched his You Tube videos after we drafted him. This guy sreams matchup nightmare! I couldn't be happier to see and hear that it is translating to the field on the pro level.

Hall Of Fame
    Keller said Franks and veteran Chris Baker have been a big help.

"Every single rep I take in practice, I get critiqued by two good veterans who have been around for a long time," he said. "It's great input. I feel like I'm getting a step up on everybody else."
    Kudos to Baker for still being a team player, and helping out Keller.

All League
    If he proves to be a stud, that would be 3 studs that this brain trust has moved up to go and get, in 2 drafts... that's pretty impressive.

All League
    Good job by the scouting crew...Good job by the front office in making sure we got him...