Thread: When Clmens wins, does Pennington go

All League

When Clmens wins, does Pennington go

It seems like the things Mangini has said lately and the corner that Clemens seems to have turned in his personal play that he is emerging as the clear favorite to win the as Mangini says it -horse race- in the end.

Whether you agree with that or not assume he does.

From every report Ratliff has been somewhat erratic but has shown tremendous improvement this camp and at times has looked like like the best QB in camp.

Ainge has got less reps, but may not make it to the practice squad as Ratliff won't if we try to put him there again.

In the end I think we will have to either carry 4 QBs or IR Ainge. Pennington has a huge cap number.

I know that the Jets have always contended that they are OK with Pennington as backup but if Clemens wins the job, I think that because of all the above, they either trade or release Pennington before the end of camp.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post
    It seems like the things Mangini has said lately and the corner that Clemens seems to have turned in his personal play that he is emerging as the clear favorite to win the as Mangini says it -horse race- in the end.

Whether you agree with that or not assume he does.

From every report Ratliff has been somewhat erratic but has shown tremendous improvement this camp and at times has looked like like the best QB in camp.

Ainge has got less reps, but may not make it to the practice squad as Ratliff won't if we try to put him there again.

In the end I think we will have to either carry 4 QBs or IR Ainge. Pennington has a huge cap number.

I know that the Jets have always contended that they are OK with Pennington as backup but if Clemens wins the job, I think that because of all the above, they either trade or release Pennington before the end of camp.
    No way does Mangini cut his lover.

Hall Of Fame
    Not bababooey and I resent the implication
    No. Clemens has a lot to prove, including the ability to stay healthy..

He's gotten hurt his last 2 seasons of ball

(besides CPF is starting the year at QB)
    Last edited by CTM; 08-02-2008 at 02:01 PM.

Hall Of Fame
    it would be flat out stupid to cut chad because ratliff showed some things in shorts and shells

Hall Of Fame
    Pennington starts the season as the starter, its his job to lose.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by johnnysd View Post

Watch what he does in pre-season games before annointing him the "clear favorite." I honestly don't know where you're getting that impression from.

In any event, under your unlikely scenario, Pennington would not be cut leaving no veteran back-up on the roster.

Practice Squad

I highly doubt the Jets would want to go into the season with Kellen Clemens and Bret Ratliff as the number 1 and 2 QBs. It also doesnt really give the team much in the way of cap relief either.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by K-Met57 View Post
    Pennington starts the season as the starter, its his job to lose.
    This is my feeling as well. The 2008 Jets were "rebuilt" to be a "Win-Now" team. Pennington is the veteran, and he has led this team efficiently before. Given the fact that he's had another season to heal from his previous shoulder surgeries, Chad's head is the same and with a rebuilt line that should accentuate the running-game, it's basically Chad's job to lose because he gives us the best chance to win.

Clemens needs to get his game management skills in check, and focus more on his pocket-presence and decision making.

All League
    If Clemens win the starting job then Chad is #2. No way he's removed from the team in favor of Ratliff or Ainge as #'s 2/3.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Lantern 80 View Post
    This is my feeling as well. The 2008 Jets were "rebuilt" to be a "Win-Now" team. Pennington is the veteran, and he has led this team efficiently before. Given the fact that he's had another season to heal from his previous shoulder surgeries, Chad's head is the same and with a rebuilt line that should accentuate the running-game, it's basically Chad's job to lose because he gives us the best chance to win.

Clemens needs to get his game management skills in check, and focus more on his pocket-presence and decision making.
    I TOTALLY disagree with this. I believe that even if slightly below Pennington in preseason performance, he will start. And also if we we want to "win now" Kellen gives us a much better chance to win.

Veteran
    We keep Chad this season whether or not he starts. If he is the starter then next season he will still be on the roster but if he loses the job then he will not be a Jet next season.IMO

Veteran
    Of course not....we still need a reliable backup