Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Erik Ainge has a big arm

Veteran

Erik Ainge has a big arm

I thought that I heard that Erik Ainge had a Chad arm. Not big but accurate.

Well he was warming up with Clemens this afternoon before the scrimmage, right in front of the visiting bleachers. he was throwing 25 - 35 yard frozen ropes. Very impressive. he is very tall, so he can see that field well, and he has a big arm.

Give him a year to learn the offense and he is going to be a good one. Maybe we already have our QB on the roster.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by GandWFan View Post

Well he was warming up with Clemens this afternoon before the scrimmage, right in front of the visiting bleachers. he was throwing 25 - 35 yard frozen ropes. Very impressive. he is very tall, so he can see that field well, and he has a big arm.

Give him a year to learn the offense and he is going to be a good one. Maybe we already have our QB on the roster.
    THANK YOU !!!! This is what I have been saying since they drafted this kid. He could be the next Tom Brady for all we know. Wishful thinking but he does have the tools.

There have been mixed reports on Ainge. Former coaches say his arm strength is good as do most scouting reports. But guys at Jets practice have seen him throw lots of flutter / wobble balls. Maybe he's still recovering from the finger surgery.

If true, it sure would be great to have a big armed QB under Center for a change.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by lageman4ever View Post
    There have been mixed reports on Ainge. Former coaches say his arm strength is good as do most scouting reports. But guys at Jets practice have seen him throw lots of flutter / wobble balls. Maybe he's still recovering from the finger surgery.

If true, it sure would be great to have a big armed QB under Center for a change.
    Well what I saw was strictly warm-ups, but he was throwing tight spirals, on a line, 35 yards, with a flick of the wrist. Much more impressive then Kellen, who is supposed to have an arm on him.

Maybe he doesn't look as good in live action, but I would guess that is a function of being a rookie.

Physically, he looks like the real deal.

Well what I saw was strictly warm-ups, but he was throwing tight spirals, on a line, 35 yards, with a flick of the wrist. Much more impressive then Kellen, who is supposed to have an arm on him.

Maybe he doesn't look as good in live action, but I would guess that is a function of being a rookie.

Physically, he looks like the real deal.

Thanks for the report. It's great to have an eye witness account. And that pretty much clears up the arm strength question. It sounds like he definitely has a live arm.

But if he's throwing now, the Jets can't IR him. So I guess he's on the roster opening day.

All Pro
    Ainge is going to be good!!! give him a year to bulk up and watch out. I can see it already, Ainge to Cotchery, Ainge to Keller, Ainge to Coles TD JET'S!!!

All Pro
    I asked this once before but there was no definitive answer.

Anyone know?

Quote Originally Posted by nycdan
    Question on the QB situation. If they put Ratliffe or Ainge on the PS, could another team claim them as a 3rd string QB or would they have to be claimed to the active roster (2nd string)?

If Team A claims a player from Team B's practice squad, Team A must place that player on their active roster.

Banned

Namath threw 45 yard frozen ropes and a few QB's could throw 70 yards from their knees. All the scouts said he didnt have a big arm. 25-35 yards is avg for the NFL.

Rookie
    1) he was warming up. so i highly doubt he can only throw frozen ropes 25-35 yds.
    2) So if 25-35 yds is average in the nfl, does that mean Chad pennington is below average?! who knew!

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroy48 View Post
    Namath threw 45 yard frozen ropes and a few QB's could throw 70 yards from their knees. All the scouts said he didnt have a big arm. 25-35 yards is avg for the NFL.
    If Ainge is average then all of the rest of our QBs, including Clemens, who is supposed to have an above average arm, are well below average.

Btw, all the scouts said Brady would be a career backup at best.

All League
    I read a lot of reports saying that Ainge had a big time arm... in the same league as both Mannings...

and I also watched a lot of film showing this very thing...

but this board has continued to say that Ainge is Chad #2.

This guy has a good arm and his build is much like Brady's was coming out of college... give him some time, let him put on 10 lbs of muscle...

I think he's the Jets QB of the future.

Ainge was a great value for a 5th round pick. Hopefully he can develop into a nice NFL QB.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Monsterxman View Post
    I read a lot of reports saying that Ainge had a big time arm... in the same league as both Mannings...

and I also watched a lot of film showing this very thing...

but this board has continued to say that Ainge is Chad #2.

This guy has a good arm and his build is much like Brady's was coming out of college... give him some time, let him put on 10 lbs of muscle...

I think he's the Jets QB of the future.
    I agree. He is accurate like Chad, but has a big arm. At Tennesse, he threw with a lot of touch and accuracy. I think that is where the Chad comparisons are coming from. But I can testify from seeing it with my own eyes, he has a cannon.

The toughest pass in the NFL is the 20 yard out from the far hash. With a 7 yard drop, the ball travels 40 yards in the air. So Ainge could probably make that throw with no problem.

[for you math geeks out there, here's how to solve this problem]

20 yard out + 7 yard drop = 27 yards

from the far hash the opposite sideline is 30 yards away

use Pythagorean Theorem a^2 + b^2 = c^2

27^2 + 30^2 = x^2 x is the straight line distance from the QB to the WR

729 + 900 = x^2

1629 = x^2

40 ~= x

All League
    The toughest pass in the NFL is the 20 yard out from the far hash. With a 7 yard drop, the ball travels 40 yards in the air. So Ainge could probably make that throw with no problem.

729 + 900 = x^2

1629 = x^2

40 ~= x
    And this is why I excelled in Wood Shop and not Math

Veteran

729 + 900 = x^2

1629 = x^2

40 ~= x
    Ainge could absolutely make that pass. When I was watching, he was throwing 35+ yards on a line. The ball would arrive shoulder high, without an arc. When Clemens make the same throw back, the ball arrived knee high. Both happened consistently over about 10 throws.

Btw, Chad and Radcliff later warmed up on the other side of the field (home side). He maybe threw 1-2 passes at that distance. they did not warm up much at all, compared to the other 2. don't know what that means, only an observation.

All Pro
    lol soo does this mean since i can throw line drives 30 yards down the feild, im an average NFL QB?

Hall Of Fame
    Charter JI Member

If Ainge is average then all of the rest of our QBs, including Clemens, who is supposed to have an above average arm, are well below average.

Btw, all the scouts said Brady would be a career backup at best.
    If you think that Ainge has a stronger arm than Clemens and are basing that on warmup throws, and want to argue the point, you have a lot to learn.

ALso, because a QB is ranked low in a draft and because scouts were wrong about Brady, doesn't mean they are wrong about every QB. Brady was ranked where he was because he hardly played in college. Ainge was ranked low because he DID and they weren't as impressed as with the others who came out. Completely different story.

Quote Originally Posted by Jet Nut View Post
    If you think that Ainge has a stronger arm than Clemens and are basing that on warmup throws, and want to argue the point, you have a lot to learn.

Whether Ainge has a better arm than Clemens is unclear. Maybe Kellen wasn't giving the throws his all when warming up. Or maybe he was. Who knows ??

But the fact that Ainge has a strong arm seems obvious. If he can ever throw a 35 yard frozen rope then he has a good arm. It's as simple as that.