Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I went to see a practice and now I tell you about it

Veteran

I went to see a practice and now I tell you about it

Ok so this is the first camp i had ever been to so please try to bear with me as i try this out.

1. Defense They are a big unit. Jenkins is clearly gonna be a rock even though he had a quiet day. Pace is solid all around. He did really well in stopping runs to his side but wasn't in the backfield that much even though he did have some pressures. Gholston is quick off that snap but struggled dropping back as a few catches were made very close to him. The secondary looks astoundingly good and deep. Drew Coleman stood out on the second team. Overall though the first team D looks very good especially in coverage.

2. O-line It's good to see that against such a huge front 7 they can hold their own. I saw holes open up for the run game and since I hadn't see that in over a year from the Jets, I was in shock. Faneca had to run a lap on a false start which I found amusing. I noticed that most of the pressure on Pennington, who worked with the first team, came from the right side but hopefully that is just a one day thing.

3. Skill guys Players were in shoulder pads and shorts so the running game was limited. However, Leon and TJ were not shy to go north and south into the line so that's a good sign. Keller had a good practice and is just absolutely smooth out on the field even though he had to run a lap for a false start and he also had a drop for Clemens. Clowney had a few dropped passes that hit him straight in the hands or on the numbers. Bubba Franks dropped a TD pass from Chad that had slightly more zip than I expected to see but like I said it was slight. Coles also had a TD drop even though it was a harder play to make that Franks' drop. Jehuu Caulcrick is massive

4. Quarterbacks Chad played with the first team and Clemens with the second. Both had very solid practices and I can't give it to one or the other. Chad showed more velocity on his throws than I expected to see but that doesn't mean they were frozen ropes, more like slushy ropes. Chad made good throws up the seem and even got in a few passes between the likes of Kerry Rhodes and Darrelle Revis. Pass that stood out to me was a 10 yard out to Coles in the end zone that had good zip on it and got passed Justin Miller but it was dropped after hitting Coles in the hands. Worst pass of his day was a floater that Cotchery had to knock out of Darrelle Revis' hands. Clemens was also solid but held on to the ball for way too long sometimes. However, he made very good passes both on the run and in the pocket. A pass that stood out was his TD to Posciak between two defenders in the back of the endzone. I saw it and knew that that was a pass Chad can't make. It was a bullet.

Well thats all I remember.

Hall Of Fame
    a lot of local strippers usually hang out to find themselves a sugar daddy

see any nice hooters ?

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by samwise View Post
    a lot of local strippers usually hang out to find themselves a sugar daddy

see any nice hooters ?
    Would have been nice to know this before I went.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by kdelgado View Post
    Would have been nice to know this before I went.

last year there was a floozy with DDDD's yelling all the players names....funny stuff

Veteran
    Thank you very much. Good read.

I'm a Clemens guy, but if Chad REALLY improved his velocity and can throw quicker longer passes (15+ yards), then I would not mind Mangini starting him. How on earth could I not want Mangini to start Chad if he has a better command of the offense and STILL call myself a Jets fan?

Anyway, great to hear about Drew Coleman, Pace (who I was really wondering about) and Caulcrick. We've gotta keep Caulcrick if he really is a great blocker; he'd be a great second layer of protection for either QB.

Thanks again. Good stuff.

Veteran
    lol "slushy ropes"

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by AJPerg View Post
    How on earth could I not want Mangini to start Chad if he has a better command of the offense and STILL call myself a Jets fan?
    Sig worthy, well said

All League
    Thanks man, you did a good job.

Hall Of Fame
    Good write-up, man. Thanks. I also have to note that I think the thread title is the best...

"I went to see a practice and now I tell you about it"

Sounds like a Borat comment.

Veteran

I'm a Clemens guy, but if Chad REALLY improved his velocity and can throw quicker longer passes (15+ yards), then I would not mind Mangini starting him. How on earth could I not want Mangini to start Chad if he has a better command of the offense and STILL call myself a Jets fan?

Anyway, great to hear about Drew Coleman, Pace (who I was really wondering about) and Caulcrick. We've gotta keep Caulcrick if he really is a great blocker; he'd be a great second layer of protection for either QB.

Chad had some really good passes that were similar to the TD to Cotchery in Miami two years ago. Except this time he did it more than once. However, I think if he does start it won't be too long before he gets fatigued and his velocity plummets again.

O and since I don't post much I figured I should inform you guys on my feelings on the QB position. I am in favor of the better man leading the Jets and I will root for both however, unless Clemens truly proves himself,based on play I lean slightly toward Chad.

All Pro
    Good Read! Thanks for the update. It's nice to get different perspectives.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by kdelgado View Post
    I lean slightly toward Chad.

I read your post, now I post on your thread.

Good write up, thanks for the effort.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

Tis a dream come true

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by 32green View Post

I read your response and now I laugh.

Laugh, laugh, laugh.

All League
    Our offense and defense look really good against each other. We're probably stealing our signals or something.

All Pro
    LEt it go, LET IT GO: The cold never bothered me anyway
    Great report. thnx Dude.

I think Hofstra is the farthest possible distance in the continental US from San Diego, so i will never get a chance to see TC.

Everybody's reports on JI help me get a good feel for the camp. THNX Guys!!

good report - thanks

I don't like hearing about all of the drops. Especially Clowney (who is on the bubble to make the roster) and Franks (who is supposed to be our red-zone sure thing). I hope the drops don't continue into the preseason games.

We've gotta keep Caulcrick
    If we put Caulcrick on the PS, some team will steal him away. Guaranteed.

Thumbs up

Good report.
    Keep 'em coming.

All League

Because his weakness is throwing the ball.