Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The move to Jersey got us Favre

Banned

The move to Jersey got us Favre

I've been watching NFL Network this morning, and several people interviewed have said that one of the reasons Favre eventually came around to coming here is because he learned that Jersey had plenty of rural areas where Favre could go hunting and live in a familiar setting.

So for all those people who hate the move to Jersey, yet love the Favre trade, realize Woody's move to Jersey is what helped get Favre.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

I'm sure if the WSS was being built and the team was building a new Facility on LI the result would be the same. There's a lot of land in Brookville and Oyster Bay Cove. Hunting is a short drive away.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by THE_SOOTHSAYER View Post
    I'm sure if the WSS was being built and the team was building a new Facility on LI the result would be the same. There's a lot of land in Brookville and Oyster Bay Cove. Hunting is a short drive away.
    No offense Sooth, but if you think Brookville or Oyster Bay is rural, you're out of your mind.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

Quote Originally Posted by sourceworx View Post
    I've been watching NFL Network this morning, and several people interviewed have said that one of the reasons Favre eventually came around to coming here is because he learned that Jersey had plenty of rural areas where Favre could go hunting and live in a familiar setting.

So for all those people who hate the move to Jersey, yet love the Favre trade, realize Woody's move to Jersey is what helped get Favre.
    Right. Because there are no rural areas or places to hunt in NY State.

All League

I heard all that too.

But, Tannenbaum, Mangini and Woody got Farve. They have become excellent salesmen and have been selling the team to potential players quite well of late.

All League
    Rural, in Brett Favre's world, means if you walk a straight line for a half a day, you will eventually see something man made.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Jet Blast View Post
    I heard all that too.

But, Tannenbaum, Mangini and Woody got Farve. They have become excellent salesmen and have been selling the team to potential players quite well of late.
    I think Benjamin has had a lot to do with it, more so than Tanny & Manny & Woody.

Board Administrator
    JI Founder & President

No offense Sooth, but if you think Brookville or Oyster Bay is rural, you're out of your mind.
    There are some very rural parts of both areas...they're all 5 acre plots. Areas like Lloyd and Cove Neck are ultra secluded.

Veteran
    OMG stop. If this is what was the dealmaker/dealbreaker that is so ridiculously sad.

Banned
    There are some very rural parts of both areas they're all 5 acre plots. Areas like Lloyd and Cove Neck are ultra secluded.
    That's funny Sooth. To you and me 5 acres is a lot of land. To a true country boy like Favre that's a joke. He'd have to travel a good distance upstate to find something acceptable.

In Jersey he doesn't have to go as far.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by petejet View Post
    Right. Because there are no rural areas or places to hunt in NY State.
    Sure there are. But they are a very long distance away from the training facility and stadium.

I'm not saying it was the deciding factor. I'm saying it helped change his mind about coming here.

Board Moderator
    Jets Insider VIP
    Charter JI Member

That's funny Sooth. To you and me 5 acres is a lot of land. To a true country boy like Favre that's a joke. He'd have to travel a good distance upstate to find something acceptable.

In Jersey he doesn't have to go as far.
    True but the wildlife won't be the same. Something tells me that coming from the backwoods of Mississippi he is looking for more than a white tail.

All League
    No love for Mastic Beach?

JetsInsider.com Legend
    NY Post, 2/28/2009

Favre hunts/kills mother of Montauk Monster

All League
    There are some very rural parts of both areas...they're all 5 acre plots. Areas like Lloyd and Cove Neck are ultra secluded.
    Sooth, 5 acres to a hillbilly is the first part of the driveway before you get to the mailbox.

Practice Squad
    I grew up on LI. Much of my family and friends live there. I own a summer home there near the beach. It is one of my favorite places . . . .

But it is not Middle America. Maybe parts of Central Suffolk start resembling a cross between Central Connecticut and Brooklyn, but it is not Middle America. THERE IS NOT A COUNTRY MUSIC STATION IN NYC OR LI (you get medicre reception from a CT station, 92.5). By moving the training facilities to NJ, Woody has made the Jets much more attractive to potential free agents and coaches, because both the cost and feel of NJ appeal more to the average NFL player who grew up somewhere in Walmart-land. It was a brilliant move.

We sold our soul slightly here. If the Jets make the SB, it is worth the price. I don't think they will. But Chad was definitely not bringing us to the SB, and Favre could, maybe. The fact of the matter is is that in the big game good defenses (ones that could stop the run with 6 players) will shut down Chad's short passing routes and expose him. Favre's arm and accuracy do not permit that, and now the Jets are in the game if Favre can learn the playbook.

If anyone doesn't like Tannenbaum, Woody, and Mangini then forget you! Because these guys have been selling this team to these great players, showing them that they are committed to winning and we aren't the same old Jets. LETS GET READY FOR THE SEASON!!!!!!!!! J_E_T_S JETS JETS JETS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by rbstern View Post
    Sooth, 5 acres to a hillbilly is the first part of the driveway before you get to the mailbox.

LOL. Funny but also very true.

My parents bought a house up in the Catskills about a year ago. I had gone up there on weekends here and there and got a small taste of true seclusion. But this past week, my wife and I decided instead of going to some exotic place for vacation, we'd just take it easy up there for the week. This week (I'm still up there until tomorrow) has been great. Very quite, save for the stream running down the hill and the sounds of animals all around. I took a drive over to the Finger Lakes earlier in the week and drove through some real backwoods. Stuff you wouldn't think existed anywhere in the Northeast. It is truly a different world up here. NOTHING like what any suburbanite (myself included) would expect.

I have to say it's quite beautiful and peaceful. Exactly what the doctor ordered.

A week ago I would have agreed with Sooth when I read about 5 acres being ok for a guy like Favre. However after this week I literally laughed out loud.

Banned
    Just don't eat anything you shoot in New Jersey.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by HDCentStOhio View Post
    No love for Mastic Beach?
    I do't think those are the kinds of animals he likes to shoot! LOL.