Thread: Chad speaks out - CLASS ACT

Veteran

Chad speaks out - CLASS ACT

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/fo..._think_he.html

Chad Pennington says Jets didn't think he could get job done

By RICH CIMINI
    DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Friday, August 8th 2008, 5:21 PM

Former Jets quarterback Chad Pennington, in his first public comments since his late-night, Willie Randolph-esque firing, didn't directly blast the organization Friday in a conference call with reporters. But he got this point across: He believes the club made the dramatic move because it was down on him, not because it had the opportunity to acquire Brett Favre.

"I think it's clear the organization feels I wasn't the quarterback to lead them where they wanted to go," Pennington said. "I think that's extremely clear. (Otherwise), the decision wouldn't have been made."

Since the Favre trade was consummated late Wednesday night, team officials have gone to great lengths to praise Pennington for his dedicated service to the Jets. But that hasn't reduced the sting. In a 10-minute Q&A with reporters, Pennington was noticeably subdued. Even though the rumors were flying for two weeks, the news hit him hard.

For six months, Pennington prepared for the open competition against Kellen Clemens. But, in essence, he never got the chance to compete. That stung.

"The most difficult thing is thinking you're preparing and getting ready for a quarterback competition and a huge challenge ahead, and you're doing everything in your power to be successful within that situation," he said. "I feel really good about how I played here in camp. I think people saw I've become a better quarterback. They've seen the changes I've made in myself, physically and mentally.

"I was on my way to doing some good things as the quarterback, but our organization had different plans. Looking back, do you always wish it could've happened sooner, could've happened earlier? Absolutely, but that's the nature of this business."

Pennington spent eight seasons with the Jets, leading them to the playoffs in 2002, 2004 and 2006. Once Eric Mangini arrived in 2006 and they drafted Clemens in the second round, it became only a matter of time before Pennington was pushed aside.

Officially, it happened at 11:30 Wednesday at the team's hotel in Cleveland, where they opened the preseason the following day. Mangini met with Pennington and broke the news.

"The most difficult part of the last 24 hours is coming to realize you're no longer wanted by your organization," Pennington said. "You spend eight years with an organization and, in the blink of an eye, you're no longer wanted. That's the crude part of the busine ss that is hard to accept emotionally."

Pennington confirmed that he has received interest from the Dolphins. He apparently has received a call from Bill Parcells, the Miami football czar. Parcells was the Jets' GM when they drafted Pennington in 2000.

The Jets open the regular season in Miami, but Pennington claimed the potential revenge factor won't play a factor in where he decides to sign.

"I can say without a shadow of a doubt, I have no feelings about that whatsoever," he said. "If something happens with Miami, it'll be because I feel good about the situation and the opportunity. It won't have anything to do with the New York Jets or me trying to prove a point."

All Pro
    Great guy.

Hall Of Fame
    about what I would have expected

smart guy, knows it's a business

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Board Moderator

Still stings that we had to cut Pennington. Three weeks into TC no less. I just wish his tenure here had a better ending. And I'm not surprised at all that he's taking the high road.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Great person. Good luck Chad.

All Pro
    Weak arm and all, Chad has character and maturity. I wish him well with his new team, whomever that might be.

Hall Of Fame
    I also wish Chad well and do not look forward to seeing him line up for the opposing team against us some day. I think every Jets fan already has the script for that story tattooed into our chromosomes.

All Pro
    Nice guy.

It still has been time to move on for quite awhile now.

Super*****/Prom Queen
    Class act indeed and a great person, but a great player? I'm sorry but a dink-n-dunk passer wasn't getting the job done, so there should be no surprise here that when a SB caliber QB like Favre is available the FO pulled the trigger fast & hard.

Thanks Chad 4 everything but we need to stop the 4-12 experiments here and win some games.

All League
    I miss you, Chad!

We all better hope that we get the 2007 Favre and not the 2005-2006 Favre, or this whole thing is going to seem foolish in retrospect.

All Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by gcherd View Post
    I miss you, Chad!
    great now I have four non jet jerseys Curtis martin/chad penington/John Vilma
    and santana Moss

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonio_JetFan View Post
    We all better hope that we get the 2007 Favre and not the 2005-2006 Favre, or this whole thing is going to seem foolish in retrospect.
    2005 18 TD 29 INT

2006 18 TD 18 INT

All Pro
    (sigh)

Chad's the man and barring Miami, Buffalo, or New England I will root for him like he was still one of our own...he's a jet through and through..just not currently...he'll be back...he's like Vinny; he holds a special place in Jets lore.

Quote Originally Posted by RickLyle IZ GOD View Post
    2005 18 TD 29 INT

2006 18 TD 18 INT

Well then, we definitely don't wan't the 2005 Favre. But that's actually a better stat than Clemens' last season.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by SanAntonio_JetFan View Post
    Well then, we definitely don't wan't the 2005 Favre. But that's actually a better stat than Clemens' last season.
    Double check that for me, I can't right now cause im watching a live feed of the Mets game but im 90% sure that's accurate

Hall Of Fame
    Chad's a good guy, but I don't know how you can read the article and say that he's a class act simply by the article. His statements are neither classy nor classless. He simply spoke the obvious truth.

The Jets traded for Favre because the Jets didn't think Chad or Clemens could do the job they wanted. That's just the way life is.

The man pocketted close to $50 million from the Jets. He'll get a job elsewhere and continued to be paid. Chad will be alright.

JetsInsider.com Legend
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Chad's a good guy, but I don't know how you can read the article and say that he's a class act simply by the article. His statements are neither classy nor classless. He simply spoke the obvious truth.

The Jets traded for Favre because the Jets didn't think Chad or Clemens could do the job they wanted. That's just the way life is.

The man pocketted close to $50 million from the Jets. He'll get a job elsewhere and continued to be paid. Chad will be alright.
    He could have sent a big F.U. to the Fans.

Hall Of Fame
    Quote Originally Posted by SBIII View Post
    He could have sent a big F.U. to the Fans.
    If he did that then he would have been classless, right?

The world is not black-and-white, polar opposits. Just because what he said wasn't classless doesn't mean it was classy.

He spoke the obvious truth. The day people consider speaking the obvious truth as classy is a sad day.

Again, I'm not debating whether Chad is classy. He's classy. But what he said had nothing to do about being classy.

Godspeed, Chad.

All League
    Quote Originally Posted by SMC View Post
    Godspeed, Chad.
    Please never change your sig!